You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 2.17 (49) LB Ryan Anderson, Alabama
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mar29020


Joined: 07 Mar 2015
Posts: 1820
Location: VA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant really complain though we are drafting defense and we got a high motor LB and a steal in Allen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PSID412


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 2133
Location: Bristol England
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude seems to have good instincts I can't complain about the pick.
_________________

^ Awesome sig by Mike23md
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
big44dog


Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 1166
Location: New York
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I'd find a few complaints. This guy is just plain BETTER than Smith and Murphy. We're officially stacked at a pretty damn important position now.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mar29020


Joined: 07 Mar 2015
Posts: 1820
Location: VA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
Figured I'd find a few complaints. This guy is just plain BETTER than Smith and Murphy. We're officially stacked at a pretty damn important position now.
plus we know forsure we have 4 guys that can rush the passer. we can get a nice rotation going.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big44dog


Joined: 08 Jan 2009
Posts: 1166
Location: New York
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mar29020 wrote:
big44dog wrote:
Figured I'd find a few complaints. This guy is just plain BETTER than Smith and Murphy. We're officially stacked at a pretty damn important position now.
plus we know forsure we have 4 guys that can rush the passer. we can get a nice rotation going.


I'm thinking forget Preston and Murphy. Only backups now. Plus Anderson
Will have a chance to shine early with Murphys suspension and hopefully holds onto that Alabama coaching before we ruin him lol. This guy along with Allen can take some of Kerrigans chips and doubles away. The pass rush went from mediocre to a force in 2 rounds
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TKellion


Joined: 07 Feb 2005
Posts: 1743
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a beast love it.Maybe our pass rush will scare somebody next season Twisted Evil
_________________
Posts: 6666=Twisted Evil
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TheGreeK1973


Joined: 30 Nov 2012
Posts: 1549
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High motor guy that can even play ILB in some packages. Seriously this was a great pick because this guy is nasty, focused and ready to hit someone. BTW in the national title game he was a one man wrecking crew, best player on bama's D that night. This is the type of players you want, they don't shy away from the big spot lights they thrive in them.

The only reason people are not gaga over him or he didn't go in the first round is because he is not a workout warrior. How many times we have said, it doesn't matter what you do in shorts and tee shirt, its when you put the pads on its game on. And this dude is certainly game on when he has pads on. Love the pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 81159
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big44dog wrote:
mar29020 wrote:
big44dog wrote:
Figured I'd find a few complaints. This guy is just plain BETTER than Smith and Murphy. We're officially stacked at a pretty damn important position now.
plus we know forsure we have 4 guys that can rush the passer. we can get a nice rotation going.


I'm thinking forget Preston and Murphy. Only backups now. Plus Anderson
Will have a chance to shine early with Murphys suspension and hopefully holds onto that Alabama coaching before we ruin him lol. This guy along with Allen can take some of Kerrigans chips and doubles away. The pass rush went from mediocre to a force in 2 rounds
I love the Anderson pick and I think he's going to be a good one, but let's not forget that in 2015 - as a rookie - Smith had 8 sacks and last year he got a lot of pressure on the qb, he just often times rushed the qb into the other OLBs arms, whether that he Kerrigan or Murphy.

Also, Murphy had 9 sacks last year. So, both those guys can play, they just need to be more consistent.

I think Anderson has Potential to be better than Smith and Murphy but we can't forget the flashes we've seen from those two over the last two years either or that both Murphy and Smith have the frame to play as a 5 technique but they'll have to put 15 to 20 pounds on to play that position instead of OLB.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 26969
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreeK1973 wrote:
High motor guy that can even play ILB in some packages. Seriously this was a great pick because this guy is nasty, focused and ready to hit someone. BTW in the national title game he was a one man wrecking crew, best player on bama's D that night. This is the type of players you want, they don't shy away from the big spot lights they thrive in them.

The only reason people are not gaga over him or he didn't go in the first round is because he is not a workout warrior. How many times we have said, it doesn't matter what you do in shorts and tee shirt, its when you put the pads on its game on. And this dude is certainly game on when he has pads on. Love the pick.


That's underselling the main knock against Anderson a bit.

http://3sigmaathlete.com is a site that tries to reverse engineer Nike's SPARQ athletic score and then compare how a given prospect matches up against other NFL athletes in their database. They focus solely on the "underwear olympic" scores (height, weight, bench press, 40 yd dash, short shuttle, etc.) and then calculate the position-specific score fo that prospect. (more info here: https://3sigmaathlete.com/documentation/ )

Once they have the prospect's score, they compare that player against all of the players at that position they've considered previously. From there, they determine how many standard deviations the player is away from the "average" NFL player at that position, in hopes of finding a player who is 3 or more standard deviations (3 sigmas, hence the name) from average.

The shorter version: look at the NFL% column. That represents what percentile in the NFL universe the prospect is better than at the given position.

So, I selected all players who were drafted after Anderson in the second and third round who were scored by 3sigma as either an EDGE or OFF-LOS linebacker player. I included the grade the NFL gave that player so we don't focus solely on workout warriors. Players who have an exclamation mark at the end of their row scored a 5.7 or better from NFL.com (5.70-5.99 are thought to be likely early starters). I have separated players who are each one deviation further from their colleagues. I do not know why Kendell Beckwith doesn't have a score.

Code:
PLAYER               NFL_POS   HT      WT     COLLEGE          PICKED                   TEAM        3S_POS   zSCOR    NFL%    NFL GR
Willis, Jordan       OLB       6'4"    255    Kansas St.       Pick  9, Round 3 (73)    Bengals     EDGE      2.0    97.5      5.84    !
----
Hendrickson, Trey    OLB       6'4"    266    Fl. Atlantic     Pick 39, Round 3 (103)   Saints      EDGE      1.1    87.1      5.58
----
Rivers, Derek        DE        6'4"    248    Youngstown St.   Pick 19, Round 3 (83)    Patriots    EDGE      0.9    82.4      5.55
Riley, Duke          LB        6'0"    232    LSU              Pick 11, Round 3 (75)    Falcons     LB        0.8    77.9      5.50
Hall, Daeshon        DE        6'5"    266    Texas A&M        Pick 13, Round 3 (77)    Panthers    EDGE      0.8    77.6      5.74    !
Cunningham, Zach     LB        6'3"    234    Vanderbilt       Pick 25, Round 2 (57)    Texans      LB        0.5    67.9      5.94    !
Basham, Tarell       DE        6'4"    269    Ohio             Pick 16, Round 3 (80)    Colts       EDGE      0.3    62.4      5.67
McMillan, Raekwon    LB        6'2"    240    Ohio St.         Pick 22, Round 2 (54)    Dolphins    LB        0.0    50.4      5.55
Anzalone, Alex       LB        6'3"    241    Florida          Pick 12, Round 3 (76)    Saints      LB       -0.2    42.1      5.80    !
Williams, Tim        OLB       6'3"    244    Alabama          Pick 14, Round 3 (78)    Ravens      EDGE     -0.3    38.4      6.00    !
Smoot, Dawuane       DE        6'3"    264    Illinois         Pick  4, Round 3 (68)    Jaguars     EDGE     -0.5    30.3      5.49
----
Walker, DeMarcus     DE        6'4"    280    Florida St.      Pick 19, Round 2 (51)    Broncos     EDGE     -1.3     9.2      5.64
----
Anderson, Ryan       OLB       6'2"    253    Alabama          Pick 17, Round 2 (49)    Redskins    EDGE     -2.4     0.9      5.83
====
Beckwith, Kendell    ILB       6'2"    243    LSU              Pick 43, Round 3 (107)   Buccaneers  LB        n/a     n/a      5.62


For EDGE rushers, Ryan Anderson compares favorably against only 0.9% of the NFL universe. DeMarcus Walker was the second worst player amongst EDGE and LB players and he's one standard deviation better than Anderson is.

Anderson didn't test badly; he tested atrociously bad. Maybe when the lights come on, his ability will shine through, but this is not good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marcus21


Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1952
Location: North Carolina
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
TheGreeK1973 wrote:
High motor guy that can even play ILB in some packages. Seriously this was a great pick because this guy is nasty, focused and ready to hit someone. BTW in the national title game he was a one man wrecking crew, best player on bama's D that night. This is the type of players you want, they don't shy away from the big spot lights they thrive in them.

The only reason people are not gaga over him or he didn't go in the first round is because he is not a workout warrior. How many times we have said, it doesn't matter what you do in shorts and tee shirt, its when you put the pads on its game on. And this dude is certainly game on when he has pads on. Love the pick.


That's underselling the main knock against Anderson a bit.

http://3sigmaathlete.com is a site that tries to reverse engineer Nike's SPARQ athletic score and then compare how a given prospect matches up against other NFL athletes in their database. They focus solely on the "underwear olympic" scores (height, weight, bench press, 40 yd dash, short shuttle, etc.) and then calculate the position-specific score fo that prospect. (more info here: https://3sigmaathlete.com/documentation/ )

Once they have the prospect's score, they compare that player against all of the players at that position they've considered previously. From there, they determine how many standard deviations the player is away from the "average" NFL player at that position, in hopes of finding a player who is 3 or more standard deviations (3 sigmas, hence the name) from average.

The shorter version: look at the NFL% column. That represents what percentile in the NFL universe the prospect is better than at the given position.

So, I selected all players who were drafted after Anderson in the second and third round who were scored by 3sigma as either an EDGE or OFF-LOS linebacker player. I included the grade the NFL gave that player so we don't focus solely on workout warriors. Players who have an exclamation mark at the end of their row scored a 5.7 or better from NFL.com (5.70-5.99 are thought to be likely early starters). I have separated players who are each one deviation further from their colleagues. I do not know why Kendell Beckwith doesn't have a score.

Code:
PLAYER               NFL_POS   HT      WT     COLLEGE          PICKED                   TEAM        3S_POS   zSCOR    NFL%    NFL GR
Willis, Jordan       OLB       6'4"    255    Kansas St.       Pick  9, Round 3 (73)    Bengals     EDGE      2.0    97.5      5.84    !
----
Hendrickson, Trey    OLB       6'4"    266    Fl. Atlantic     Pick 39, Round 3 (103)   Saints      EDGE      1.1    87.1      5.58
----
Rivers, Derek        DE        6'4"    248    Youngstown St.   Pick 19, Round 3 (83)    Patriots    EDGE      0.9    82.4      5.55
Riley, Duke          LB        6'0"    232    LSU              Pick 11, Round 3 (75)    Falcons     LB        0.8    77.9      5.50
Hall, Daeshon        DE        6'5"    266    Texas A&M        Pick 13, Round 3 (77)    Panthers    EDGE      0.8    77.6      5.74    !
Cunningham, Zach     LB        6'3"    234    Vanderbilt       Pick 25, Round 2 (57)    Texans      LB        0.5    67.9      5.94    !
Basham, Tarell       DE        6'4"    269    Ohio             Pick 16, Round 3 (80)    Colts       EDGE      0.3    62.4      5.67
McMillan, Raekwon    LB        6'2"    240    Ohio St.         Pick 22, Round 2 (54)    Dolphins    LB        0.0    50.4      5.55
Anzalone, Alex       LB        6'3"    241    Florida          Pick 12, Round 3 (76)    Saints      LB       -0.2    42.1      5.80    !
Williams, Tim        OLB       6'3"    244    Alabama          Pick 14, Round 3 (78)    Ravens      EDGE     -0.3    38.4      6.00    !
Smoot, Dawuane       DE        6'3"    264    Illinois         Pick  4, Round 3 (68)    Jaguars     EDGE     -0.5    30.3      5.49
----
Walker, DeMarcus     DE        6'4"    280    Florida St.      Pick 19, Round 2 (51)    Broncos     EDGE     -1.3     9.2      5.64
----
Anderson, Ryan       OLB       6'2"    253    Alabama          Pick 17, Round 2 (49)    Redskins    EDGE     -2.4     0.9      5.83
====
Beckwith, Kendell    ILB       6'2"    243    LSU              Pick 43, Round 3 (107)   Buccaneers  LB        n/a     n/a      5.62


For EDGE rushers, Ryan Anderson compares favorably against only 0.9% of the NFL universe. DeMarcus Walker was the second worst player amongst EDGE and LB players and he's one standard deviation better than Anderson is.

Anderson didn't test badly; he tested atrociously bad. Maybe when the lights come on, his ability will shine through, but this is not good.


This is nerd stuff!! Turn on his tape at Alabama... that's all you need to see!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 26969
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
This is nerd stuff!! Turn on his tape at Alabama... that's all you need to see!!


The question: was Anderson good because he himself is a good football player, or was he good because he played amongst a bunch of NFL prospects?

If we really wanted an Alabama edge rusher, we might have been better suited in taking Tim Williams.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Marcus21


Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 1952
Location: North Carolina
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
This is nerd stuff!! Turn on his tape at Alabama... that's all you need to see!!


The question: was Anderson good because he himself is a good football player, or was he good because he played amongst a bunch of NFL prospects?

If we really wanted an Alabama edge rusher, we might have been better suited in taking Tim Williams.


Anderson is more of an all around LB. He is much better against the run. Williams is more of a situational pass rusher IMO! I also love Anderson's grit and toughness which our defense desperately needs!!
Some intageables can be measured... love of the game, grit, and hustle is as important to me as a 3 cone drill!! I imagine a London Fletcher wouldn't test very well at the combine!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 26969
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
This is nerd stuff!! Turn on his tape at Alabama... that's all you need to see!!


The question: was Anderson good because he himself is a good football player, or was he good because he played amongst a bunch of NFL prospects?

If we really wanted an Alabama edge rusher, we might have been better suited in taking Tim Williams.


Anderson is more of an all around LB. He is much better against the run. Williams is more of a situational pass rusher IMO! I also love Anderson's grit and toughness which our defense desperately needs!!
Some intageables can be measured... love of the game, grit, and hustle is as important to me as a 3 cone drill!! I imagine a London Fletcher wouldn't test very well at the combine!


Keep in mind that London Fletcher had to claw his way onto the roster as a UDFA. He wasn't a 2nd round pick.

Like I said, maybe when the pads go on, the fire kicks in and the kid balls out. Numerically speaking, however, this looks to be a risky gamble. Personally, I think taking Zach Cunningham would have been a wiser choice there. *shrugs*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 81159
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
This is nerd stuff!! Turn on his tape at Alabama... that's all you need to see!!


The question: was Anderson good because he himself is a good football player, or was he good because he played amongst a bunch of NFL prospects?

If we really wanted an Alabama edge rusher, we might have been better suited in taking Tim Williams.
Anderson compares to two of the NFLs best pass rushers - at his size and altheic ability of all time - James Harrison and Elvis Dummerville.

Taking Tim Williams was much more of a risk because of off the field issues and Williams is more of a flash player. Williams has more talent and more athletic ability but overall Anderson is the better all around player.

Anderson plays the run better, he's stronger, more of a stout defender and has more of a motor than williams.

Anderson played better and did more for Alabama than Williams did, maybe Tim Williams benefited from the player that Anderson was on the other side or playing around ALlen, Foster and others also.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RaykwonDaChef


Joined: 30 Jun 2014
Posts: 6455
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
This is nerd stuff!! Turn on his tape at Alabama... that's all you need to see!!


The question: was Anderson good because he himself is a good football player, or was he good because he played amongst a bunch of NFL prospects?

If we really wanted an Alabama edge rusher, we might have been better suited in taking Tim Williams.


Anderson is more of an all around LB. He is much better against the run. Williams is more of a situational pass rusher IMO! I also love Anderson's grit and toughness which our defense desperately needs!!
Some intageables can be measured... love of the game, grit, and hustle is as important to me as a 3 cone drill!! I imagine a London Fletcher wouldn't test very well at the combine!


Keep in mind that London Fletcher had to claw his way onto the roster as a UDFA. He wasn't a 2nd round pick.

Like I said, maybe when the pads go on, the fire kicks in and the kid balls out. Numerically speaking, however, this looks to be a risky gamble. Personally, I think taking Zach Cunningham would have been a wiser choice there. *shrugs*


Would of loved Zach, as I was much more interested in acquiring inside backers.

Ryan has a nose for the ball though, and may be viewed as more of an inside backer.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group