Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2 (39). Marcus Maye, S, Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Quote:
Marcus Maye missed only 1 tackle across 438 snaps last season. He owned the 4th-highest tackling efficiency among FBS safeties in 2016 #Jets

Doesn't change my opinion that we should've allocated resources elsewhere, but nice stat to see

Why though? Macc said when you try and force a pick and they flame out you end up in the same place you started AND you lost a chance to upgrade another area. Now we potentially have the Secondary on lock with the need for another Corner potentially a Nickel if Claiborne/Burris can be the 1-2 going forward.

Similar to Idzik forcing the Amaro pick because we needed a Tight End, he passed on BPA types like Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry and then ended up with Jalin Saunders and Shaq Evans in Round 4.

Pick a talented player, add depth everywhere and coach them up. What's wrong with giving it a chance?

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
Bianconero

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Quote:
Marcus Maye missed only 1 tackle across 438 snaps last season. He owned the 4th-highest tackling efficiency among FBS safeties in 2016 #Jets

Doesn't change my opinion that we should've allocated resources elsewhere, but nice stat to see

Why though? Macc said when you try and force a pick and they flame out you end up in the same place you started AND you lost a chance to upgrade another area. Now we potentially have the Secondary on lock with the need for another Corner potentially a Nickel if Claiborne/Burris can be the 1-2 going forward.

Similar to Idzik forcing the Amaro pick because we needed a Tight End, he passed on BPA types like Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry and then ended up with Jalin Saunders and Shaq Evans in Round 4.

Pick a talented player, add depth everywhere and coach them up. What's wrong with giving it a chance?
While I agree, WR was also a huge need that Amaro year

Idzik needs to be excommunicated from the United States

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
I just find it funny how often you hear fans says BPA BPA all off-season long... And then draft day comes and they was want a specific position.

Not saying there aren't people on this board arguing against BPA, but it's popularity definitely spikes down for three days every year and it's funny.

Maye wasn't consensus BPA. If he was widely regarded as the best player on the board there wouldn't be as big an uproar.
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Quote:

I've read he's too aggressive and misses tackles/plays.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to sit here and try convincing people this was a good pick. I think Mac has killed 2 birds with one pick here.

1. We are in the era of the pass happy league. We had tons of blown coverages last year. The excuse given was poor communication between our DB's. These two young safeties are interchangeable. They can both play FS and SS. They are both smart and aggressive. They are both exceptional tacklers. How many missed tackles did we have last year? I saw many missed tackles.

On to point 2.
By not investing in our offense this year, we should finish with enough losses to get the top QB prospect next year. Unless of course our young guys on offense step up and develop the way we hope.

We are rebuilding boys. We have holes everywhere. We had a toxic locker room filled with some veterans that were overpaid and had diminished talent. Our roster has gone from one of the oldest in the NFL to one of the youngest. If Macc picked 2 safeties that grow and flourish, we could have the next Earl Thomas and Cam Chancellor. We do have needs at corner, QB, OL and edge rusher, but we can only fill so many holes in 1 offseason.
Next year we will have one of the highest surplus of salary to spend toward the cap. We should have high draft picks as well. I like were we are headed. The future, for once, is bright. Just not the immediate future.
Wolfie2144

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rickjets2007"]I am not going to sit here and try convincing people this was a good pick. I think Mac has killed 2 birds with one pick here.

1. We are in the era of the pass happy league. We had tons of blown coverages last year. The excuse given was poor communication between our DB's. These two young safeties are interchangeable. They can both play FS and SS. They are both smart and aggressive. They are both exceptional tacklers. How many missed tackles did we have last year? I saw many missed tackles.

On to point 2.
By not investing in our offense this year, we should finish with enough losses to get the top QB prospect next year. Unless of course our young guys on offense step up and develop the way we hope.

We are rebuilding boys. We have holes everywhere. We had a toxic locker room filled with some veterans that were overpaid and had diminished talent. Our roster has gone from one of the oldest in the NFL to one of the youngest. If Macc picked 2 safeties that grow and flourish, we could have the next Earl Thomas and Cam Chancellor. We do have needs at corner, QB, OL and edge rusher, but we can only fill so many holes in 1 offseason.
Next year we will have one of the highest surplus of salary to spend toward the cap. We should have high draft picks as well. I like were we are headed. The future, for once, is bright. Just not the immediate future.[/quote]

^^^ This
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maye actually reminds me more of Landon Collins than Adams does.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
Jetfan66

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the pick. On a team that likes overall talent, picking BPA is a strong strategy.

I also don't think this is the end for Calvin Pryor. I wouldn't be surprised to see him spell David Harris on passing downs.

R.I.P. Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
"We are worried. Kris Jenkins eats O-Lineman better then Kobayashi eats hot dogs." -Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, and Logan Mankins
teamorange

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are acting like the Jets only needed 1 safety. Both our safeties sucked last year. You can play both. Also it's not like the Jets are only a few players away from contending. The Jets will still stink next year. This will be a few year process. I think the Jets will rebuild the line through FA and maybe a draft pick or two and hopefully the Jets sort out their QB situation from what we have and if not we will draft one next year.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
People are acting like the Jets only needed 1 safety. Both our safeties sucked last year. You can play both. Also it's not like the Jets are only a few players away from contending. The Jets will still stink next year. This will be a few year process. I think the Jets will rebuild the line through FA and maybe a draft pick or two and hopefully the Jets sort out their QB situation from what we have and if not we will draft one next year.

Next years draft is strong at OL and QB from current projections.

So either Hack shows us he's worth it and proves me right lol and we get our next Brick and Mangold or we can go grab one of the QBs at the top of the draft.

Quote:

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
jamax99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next years draft is o line and qb heavy. Which means we go db. And rb. Maye, might turn out to be a good player. But there was so many players avl. That had higher grades. , " I know we don't know more then scouts" but other teams jumped on guys I wish we took with that pick right away. cook could have been. Our rb for next 8 years, and taken a lot of pressure off qb. Only reason he was not a top 15 pick was of some off field issues. Next year we will have to waste a number 1 pick to get a player like that. J Adams. , .. d cook,or sidey jones, q Wilson,chidobe awuzie, f Moreau, c tankersley, G Everett , a kamarra, p Elfein, j butt, All players I would have liked . I think players we got will be average players. Do not see jets winning more then 5 games this year, which could be the plan. But I'm sure Cleveland , San Fran or bears. Will get top 2 picks again. Next years number 1 pick will be worth a lot. A lot of teams doubled dipped on players too. I guess , but that was for corners and linemen. I know some people liked. Maye pick, But I have not seen one so called expect , say it was a good pick.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamax99 wrote:
Next years draft is o line and qb heavy. Which means we go db. And rb. Maye, might turn out to be a good player. But there was so many players avl. That had higher grades. , " I know we don't know more then scouts" but other teams jumped on guys I wish we took with that pick right away. cook could have been. Our rb for next 8 years, and taken a lot of pressure off qb. Only reason he was not a top 15 pick was of some off field issues. Next year we will have to waste a number 1 pick to get a player like that. J Adams. , .. d cook,or sidey jones, q Wilson,chidobe awuzie, f Moreau, c tankersley, G Everett , a kamarra, p Elfein, j butt, All players I would have liked . I think players we got will be average players. Do not see jets winning more then 5 games this year, which could be the plan. But I'm sure Cleveland , San Fran or bears. Will get top 2 picks again. Next years number 1 pick will be worth a lot. A lot of teams doubled dipped on players too. I guess , but that was for corners and linemen. I know some people liked. Maye pick, But I have not seen one so called expect , say it was a good pick.

The off the field issues may keep him off the field though. Not to mention we did not want questionable characters added to the locker room, I think that was pretty clear from the players selected.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamax99 wrote:

Better grades according to you...Macc stuck his board and trusted our scouting.

The Maye pick came with a lot of approval as well, only pundits who thought it was overkill with the Adams pick but then you remember that 2 safeties are usually on the field at all times.

Now we have a potentially deadly duo roaming the middle of the field with great closing speed which should help us since we only have 1 linebacker who can cover.

Quote:

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glenearl18 wrote:
sandwhich wrote:
I just find it funny how often you hear fans says BPA BPA all off-season long... And then draft day comes and they was want a specific position.

Not saying there aren't people on this board arguing against BPA, but it's popularity definitely spikes down for three days every year and it's funny.

Maye wasn't consensus BPA. If he was widely regarded as the best player on the board there wouldn't be as big an uproar.

Consensus BPA ranked by who? Oh, the guys who talk on TV or write for various websites ... not the guys who actually work for NFL teams .. that is who you are referring to right?

It's not like May was list outside the top 100 by these "pundits" .. he was around 50-60 I would say .... our board had him higher period. It's not like he took guy projected to go round 4 in the 2nd here.

Having two safeties that are quality (assuming both work out) is a very good thing for a football team.
NewAge

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I've seen on Maye, a lot of people thought he, more so than other players and other safeties, would have his success/determined by the scheme he was drafted into and the safety playing opposite him. Playing opposite Jamal Adams and in a defensive scheme that emphasized safeties just like him in Arizona, I would think this is an excellent fit for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: