Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2 (39). Marcus Maye, S, Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDawg10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best part about this, Calvin Pryor is a goner. That guy was so bad last year it wasn't even funny. gilly will probably be here for the time being but might eventually get cut.

I can't say I love the pick of Maye. But I definitely don't dislike it. I watched a lot of SEC football last year and Maye was a stud and making plays all over the field for the first half of the season.

I think people still need to get it through there head that the jets are rebuilding. Rebuilding teams don't just draft players to fill weak positions to get by, you draft for pro bowlers and future building blocks. That's what the jets are sticking too here.
NewAge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDawg10 wrote:
Best part about this, Calvin Pryor is a goner. That guy was so bad last year it wasn't even funny. gilly will probably be here for the time being but might eventually get cut.

I can't say I love the pick of Maye. But I definitely don't dislike it. I watched a lot of SEC football last year and Maye was a stud and making plays all over the field for the first half of the season.

I think people still need to get it through there head that the jets are rebuilding. Rebuilding teams don't just draft players to fill weak positions to get by, you draft for pro bowlers and future building blocks. That's what the jets are sticking too here.

Yep, exactly.

I don't have a strong feeling on Maye, but as long as we're not reaching for a QB or taking another interior defensive lineman, it's hard to hate on a pick because he plays X position at this stage. The 2017 team is not the goal here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this regime wants to just stockpile on safeties and call it BPA similar to how the Rex regime stockpiled on defensive linemen

At least the lineman made sense, with Williams - Richardson - Wilkerson all having all pro seasons.

Bowles played DB ...Ryan started as a DL position coach. We need a GM that doesn't listen to our silly coaches desires this much.

We're there no offensive lineman available at this point???

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I really liked what I saw out of Rontez Miles last year and believe Pryor deserves to start in this league. Both players roles get mitigated with this pick.

I just wish we Barron Pryor already and throw him in at LB as a pass rushing ILB.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we draft Smaje Perine right away with our 4th we absolutely blew this draft to get a solid RB especially with Cook sitting there and we selected a S. Adams and Maye our going to be the best Safety Combo weve ever had for sure and I think they want to build something like in Seattle...nothing wrong with that...look for Desmond King too, but passing on Cook for Maye was an epic fail. Trading our COMP 3, for literally a 7th was just asinine, and unless Stewart becomes the next Steve Smith I hate that pick too considering Pat Elfien was RIGHT there and thats who the Vikings selected. Mac could have blown this draft out of the water...instead we made monumental mistakes in the crucial rounds again. Its okay guys...he drafted Jamal Adams hes a genius. Tannenbaum did some dumb things but he nailed a ton of 2s 3s and 4s. Thats what good GMs do...weve since downgraded significantly.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Unless we draft Smaje Perine right away with our 4th we absolutely blew this draft to get a solid RB especially with Cook sitting there and we selected a S. Adams and Maye our going to be the best Safety Combo weve ever had for sure and I think they want to build something like in Seattle...nothing wrong with that...look for Kevin King too, but passing on Cook for Maye was an epic fail. Trading our COMP 3, for literally a 7th was just asinine, and unless Stewart becomes the next Steve Smith I hate that pick too considering Pat Elfien was RIGHT there and thats who the Vikings selected. Mac could have blown this draft out of the water...instead we made monumental mistakes in the crucial rounds again. Its okay guys...he drafted Jamal Adams hes a genius. Tannenbaum did some dumb things but he nailed a ton of 2s 3s and 4s. Thats what good GMs do...weve since downgraded significantly.

I agree completely. I would understand the pick of Budda Baker was on the board and he was the BPA and someone that can play Nickel and even some Corner, but Maye is almost like a poor mans Adams when you put the tape on. Most elite Safety tandems have complimentary skill sets. Both players here have an overlap. I would've preferred someone with elite ball skills here like Baker if avail or Marcus Williams if we had to go back to Safety.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So between him and Adams we still don't have a ball hawk. Great.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:

I think both players can kind of do it all. We want interchangeable Safeties. Both can already cover better than Pryor and Gilly so we are going to be much better on the back end and really be able to confuse offenses. I look for us to grab Desmond King and plug him in day one. Tell the man to jam hard and that there is help behind. When we are able to get that one stud pass rusher, our secondary is going to really be a strength. Maye isnt a great cover safety but hes not terrible either, and Jamal Adams covers pretty well. I hated the pick but it is what it is, the secondary is going to be much better on the back end and wont be giving up bombs every single game. The defense got much better but we still need another CB, ILB and OLB and it could be quite a unit.

Bobby816

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

I think both players can kind of do it all. We want interchangeable Safeties. Both can already cover better than Pryor and Gilly so we are going to be much better on the back end and really be able to confuse offenses. I look for us to grab Desmond King and plug him in day one. Tell the man to jam hard and that there is help behind. When we are able to get that one stud pass rusher, our secondary is going to really be a strength. Maye isnt a great cover safety but hes not terrible either, and Jamal Adams covers pretty well. I hated the pick but it is what it is, the secondary is going to be much better on the back end and wont be giving up bombs every single game. The defense got much better but we still need another CB, ILB and OLB and it could be quite a unit.

Neither make INTs.
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Calvin is leaving, but this does mean we're going to see a lot of nickel packages. Mac is picking tacklers over ballhawks and that was where we were worst last year.
moham-17

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I used to get upset about the NFL draft just take it in stride Fellas

everything will be OK

whether or not this pic turns out to be a good one will become clear in a few years

nothings going to turn around overnight

#FireWoodyJohsnon
ekill08x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

Neither make INTs.

Neither did Landon COllins at Bama...and now makes a ton in the pros...lets wait and see. Both Players are now playing next to the best complementary safety theyve ever played with, we can now disguise coverages, both can tackle excellent and dont miss tackles like pryor, both are leaders. We got exponentially better in that secondary. The turnovers will come. It certainly isnt going to get worse BOBBY! We upgraded tremendously. Were going to be awful next year unless Hackenberg miraculously is the next Brady. So at least we have one position group that is legit.

jetskid007

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Marcus Maye missed only 1 tackle across 438 snaps last season. He owned the 4th-highest tackling efficiency among FBS safeties in 2016 #Jets

Doesn't change my opinion that we should've allocated resources elsewhere, but nice stat to see
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Quote:
Marcus Maye missed only 1 tackle across 438 snaps last season. He owned the 4th-highest tackling efficiency among FBS safeties in 2016 #Jets

Doesn't change my opinion that we should've allocated resources elsewhere, but nice stat to see

If he only missed 1 tackle and ranked 4th. Who were the 3 that missed no tackles?!?!
sandwhich

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just find it funny how often you hear fans says BPA BPA all off-season long... And then draft day comes and they was want a specific position.

Not saying there aren't people on this board arguing against BPA, but it's popularity definitely spikes down for three days every year and it's funny.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: