Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Round 1: Pick 16 - Marlon Humphrey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: 2017 Round 1: Pick 16 - Marlon Humphrey Reply with quote

With the 16th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select:

Marlon Humphrey - CB - Alabama

Scouting Reports

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/marlon-humphrey?id=2558067

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2139775/marlon-humphrey

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-alabama-marlon-humphrey-one-of-best-cbs-athletes-nation/

Current Secondary

OCB: Jimmy Smith / Marlon Humphrey / Robertson Daniel
OCB: Brandon Carr / Maurice Canady (FS)
SCB: Tavon Young / Kyle Arrington
FS: Eric Weddle (SS) / Lardarius Webb (SCB)
SS: Tony Jefferson / Anthony Levine (SCB) / Otha Foster
alfalcone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could have been worse - at least we didn't draft Cyrus Jones - in all seriousness I would have preferred Kevin King on Conley. That being said Bama dbs have a high bust rate, I'd assume that the "Saban Shuffle" has something to do with it. I'm willing to give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt on best player available - assuming Allen and Foster were off the board.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the pick, he was my number two rated guy after Corey Davis as far as true need picks for us. Taco was my third rated guy, with how deep this corner class is I figured Charlton could have been the better choice strategically but I evaluated Marlon as a future shutdown which is more important than an edge piece imo.

Sidney and Marlon were my top corners, I didn't like Lattimore and I put Marlon above Sidney for his potential as a leader, tone setter, impact against the run game, and overall ceiling. He's reminiscent of past Raven DB greats in size and swagger. Watching him reach his potential will be a joy.

He's a huge upside pick as well as being a safe one. His easy projection to safety adds value and less risk to the pick. Many scouts and draftniks had him rated in the top 10 on their overall boards as a safety. He can play be an All-Pro at either position.

The game moves slow for him due to his incredible natural athletic vision and physical capabilities, when his technique and skill catches up to his natural gifts he will be unstoppable. We're bringing him into a great environment to develop and develop he will. Sorry to those disgusted by the selection I know what you're feeling(Elam) and it's weird for me to be on the other side of this but I think we got a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a step back and look at Humphrey he really does make a lot of sense for the Ravens. Big, fast, physical, aggressive, and more than willing to play the run. That's exactly what the team likes in their defensive backs so it's no surprise Marlon was high on their board.

But Humphrey is raw, both in terms of technique and football IQ. His feet and press fundamentals need to be built up. And Dan hit on the ball skills in the other thread. Athletically you couldn't ask for much more (aside from better lateral/small space movement skills). He's a big project though and I have no faith that the coaching staff is up to the task to develop him. Nor are they going to go out of their way to put him in the best position to succeed, because they don't do that for anybody.

Not buying the idea of him projecting as a safety. That's pure conjecture. If a team is going to invest in a defensive back this early with that kind of transition in mind he better have had prior experience.

Marlon being ranked over some of the other prospects still available is a surprise, although I have a feeling Baltimore is really starting to focus on the medicals. Which is a good thing and explains why Allen, Foster, etc. weren't the pick. Howard supposedly had a real clean medical evaluation but him being a tight end had to of tanked his value for the Ravens.
drd23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to watching the various press conferences, and the biggest thing that stood out to me was how genuinely excited Dean Pees was to have Marlon.

As he was talking at the start of Marlon Humphrey's introductory presser, you could see that Pees couldn't wait to get Marlon into the secondary early and to get creative.

Hopefully with all the investment in the secondary, including taking Marlon Humphrey in the 1st round, we'll actually get to see this aggressive, blitzing defense that Pees keeps talking about more frequently
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

But Humphrey is raw, both in terms of technique and football IQ. His feet and press fundamentals need to be built up. And Dan hit on the ball skills in the other thread. Athletically you couldn't ask for much more (aside from better lateral/small space movement skills). He's a big project though and I have no faith that the coaching staff is up to the task to develop him. Nor are they going to go out of their way to put him in the best position to succeed, because they don't do that for anybody.

That's the problem with all these defensive picks, really. The defensive coaching staff are simply not very good. Pees might talk of creative blitzing and putting players into positions to succeed, but we never see it. And we also see him throwing players under the bus when his defensive schemes fail.

I'm not even sure about the positional coaches being able to get the best out of people. The Ravens seem to have a very mediocre coaching staff, filled with friends of Harbaugh, or loyalists who he's promoted up the ranks. There was a lot of talent in that group, with Teryl Austin, Clarence Brooks and Ted Monachino, amongst others, but it's seeped away and not been replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was just thinking most of the same things c0. When looking at the Marlon Humphrey pick in a vacuum, it's not as horrible as I reacted to. But when looking at it in comparison to what I was expecting all pre-draft (Corey Davis- who I believe will be a pro bowler) or in comparison to the talent that was still on the board in the other Alabama players still there, or wondering if we might not have been able to get Humphrey after a trade down, then it's still a pick that makes you scratch your head.

But I guess the positives is that Marlon Humphrey is only 20 years old. I also looked at the fact that the Ravens generally in their history have chosen to select seniors over underclassmen. So the fact that they chose to select not just an underclassmen, but a redshirt sophomore with only 2 years play under his belt, must mean that they are hugely into Humphrey. Plus it means any bad habits that Saban teaches his defensive backs, likely won't be as ingrained.

I didn't watch much Humphrey tape before we drafted him but I knew a lot of people in the media and here didn't like him. But watching the Clemson tape, the way I see it, he's physical, quick, good tackler, I saw a guy with good hands. So once his field awareness improves he can actually develop into someone with pretty good ball skills.

Our positional coaches might be in question but we still have two veterans in Jimmy Smith and Brandon Carr that can help groom Humphrey as a corner. That and a guy like Eric Weddle who can make sure he's developing his tape skills.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: