Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best and Worst pick of Round 1.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
All of the teams that took horrible reaches at QB/WR in the top-10 instead of grabbing an elite defensive player completely blew it.

SF and CLE killed it.

Corey Davis wasn't a horrible reach. If he was able to workout, he's an elite prospect.

I strongly disagree. I don't think he is even close to the level of Amari Cooper or AJ Green or Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans. And definitely not a better prospect than Jamal Adams.

Not as bad as a reach as John Ross though. Yikes.

Well, guess we will just have to trust Jon Robinson's opinion over yours. It's a tough call with which of you is more qualified and spent more time scouting and preparing for the draft.

Maybe, just maybe, the Titans will luck out and Davis pans out.

Using that logic there's no point in discussing any of these picks, they're all gonna be great because the experts chose them, right

He said Davis isn't close to any of those players. Fair enough.

My question in response would then be, if you coukd draft TO at #5, minus the headcase, do you do it? Or is it still a reach?

Watkins might be more talented but he can't stay on the field, and he cost his team multiple firsts as well. I'd take a chance on Davis over that.
Cant spell choke without OKC
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billzz wrote:
Best: Foster, Hooker, Allen, Howard

Worst: Trubisky, McCaffrey, Ross, Harris, Watt

McCaffrey is another Reggie Bush, Trubisky is just the prototypical NFL size, not great at anything, Ross has already torn both of his ACL's, Harris is a situational pass rusher (even at Missouri) and Watt is living off of his brothers name.

Foster should have been a top 7 pick, Hooker "fell" to 15, Allen is the best player in the draft when healthy, and Howard is the next generational TE.

And?

I mean, I get that Bush never quite lived up to the "Second Coming of Sweetness" hype that he once got billed with, but go back and look at the stats he finished his career with - when he was healthy, he was a darn productive player and was a key cog in that Saints Super Bowl winning season.

And this notion of Allen as the best player in the draft when healthy is bunk; sorry, but it is. If the best player in the draft compares athletically to Jared Crick and Jordan Hill (and Allen does), except that those guys were 300 lb'ers when they tested to those numbers whereas Allen was 286... and likely going to be asked to bulk up.

And Watt just living off his brother's name? No... that would be Derek, not TJ. If that's your assessment of TJ, you clearly didn't watch much of Wisconsin.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Underwood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:

Everything with Os is a sunk cost. Agree you can't criticize the Watson pick by itself on that basis. Given the hand they were dealt, getting Watson was likely their best result.

Now, you can go after HOU's whole QB approach. That's fair. That's what got them there. But it's not related to this pick. My only objection with HOU's pick is that I don't think HOU needed to move up that far - out of the teams left to deal for a QB we're hearing (JAX, ARI, maybe PIT & NYG long-term), none of them were ahead of HOU except NYG, only a few spots ahead (and who clearly opted to go win-now with Engram). Now maybe one of them jumps ahead of HOU if they don't act - but they moved a ton when likely moving up in the late teens would have done it.

I agree with you on almost all of that, but I do think they had to jump Arizona. I feel like Mahomes was linked to them more, but everyone thought they were QB hunting at 13. With Mahomes and Trubisky off the board already, Houston had to go there to be sure to get their guy.

Sig by Eaglezphan21
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
TJ Watt reminds me a lot of Shea McClellin, so not a fan of that pick.

Eh?

Look, I'm not saying people have to like Watt as a prospect, but that's a horrible comp. And I mean horrible.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
tom cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best: 49ers getting 2 very good defensive players in Thomas and Foster

Worst; Bears in giving up that much for a guy that probably would have been there at 3.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwood wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

Everything with Os is a sunk cost. Agree you can't criticize the Watson pick by itself on that basis. Given the hand they were dealt, getting Watson was likely their best result.

Now, you can go after HOU's whole QB approach. That's fair. That's what got them there. But it's not related to this pick. My only objection with HOU's pick is that I don't think HOU needed to move up that far - out of the teams left to deal for a QB we're hearing (JAX, ARI, maybe PIT & NYG long-term), none of them were ahead of HOU except NYG, only a few spots ahead (and who clearly opted to go win-now with Engram). Now maybe one of them jumps ahead of HOU if they don't act - but they moved a ton when likely moving up in the late teens would have done it.

I agree with you on almost all of that, but I do think they had to jump Arizona. I feel like Mahomes was linked to them more, but everyone thought they were QB hunting at 13. With Mahomes and Trubisky off the board already, Houston had to go there to be sure to get their guy.

Oops, I totally forgot about ARI. Although I'm not sure they would have taken Watson instead of Reddick, that was absolutely in play. I take back that comment on going too high. Carry on.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
All of the teams that took horrible reaches at QB/WR in the top-10 instead of grabbing an elite defensive player completely blew it.

SF and CLE killed it.

Corey Davis wasn't a horrible reach. If he was able to workout, he's an elite prospect.

I strongly disagree. I don't think he is even close to the level of Amari Cooper or AJ Green or Sammy Watkins or Mike Evans. And definitely not a better prospect than Jamal Adams.

Well, guess we will just have to trust Jon Robinson's opinion over yours. It's a tough call with which of you is more qualified and spent more time scouting and preparing for the draft.

Using that logic there's no point in discussing any of these picks, they're all gonna be great because the experts chose them, right

My question in response would then be, if you coukd draft TO at #5, minus the headcase, do you do it? Or is it still a reach?

Watkins might be more talented but he can't stay on the field, and he cost his team multiple firsts as well. I'd take a chance on Davis over that.

I don't think anyone passes on TO without the issues, obviously.

I just think many people see Davis as that type talent.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like:
Colts - Malik Hooker
Assuming there are no major concerns over his injuries, this is exceptional value for a player who is going to cause offensive coordinators an awful lot of headaches.

Redskins - Jonathan Allen
Again, assuming the medical isn't severe - this is great value for a player who fills a huge need on that defensive line.

Buccaneers - OJ Howard
Great value at 19 for a player many thought would go much higher. Howard is a rare college tight end who should feature in both facets of the game.

Bills - Tre White
Landing an additional first rounder for next year was a fantastic move for a franchise that has been a reckless with their draft picks in recent years. White is an underrated and polished talent who'll find an immediate home in the secondary.

Browns - David Njoku
Giving up a 4th for taking a player that nobody would have batted an eyelid if he was taking in the middle of the draft is a nice deal to me. Has huge athletic potential.

Dislike:
Bears - Mitch Trubisky
Actually have no issue with them taking a QB, despite Glennon. It makes sense to give yourselves two bites of the apple. Moving up one spot whilst giving up crucial draft capital for a team that needs players is unforgivable.

Giants - Evan Engram
Like the player, hate the fit. There's pretty much no way they can get all their passing weapons on the field, not without wanting to get their QB murdered with the plums they have blocking there.

Browns - Jabrill Peppers
I get the Browns wanted to come away with premier athletic talents in the first round, but he's not a safety. I don't think he has a future as a defensive back in the NFL.
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best

OJ Howard. Great fit for Tampa. He'll get a lot of open looks with Djax and Evans eating up the outside and the other way around to

John Ross. Dont care how high he went. Hes can play and he has some good wiggle to him. Retooling andy after stripping him of toys last year. Hes gonna complement AJ perfectly

Evan Engram-----Another target for eli. They are going to be hard to guard with all the weapons they have. They can work the hell out of every level of the field

Worst

Bears-- feels ridiculous to give up what they gave up to go up one pick. Im not a big trubisky guy

Bills--- feels like they didnt get enough from a team hoping 15 spots and i dont like the direction they are going... But i like White

-------------
Mccafrey--- gonna be very interesting how carolina uses him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easily Houston. Watson lacked the talent to go in the 3rd, giving up two firsts is beyond laughable. It looks like the competition has once again eliminated itself.
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
The Eagles taking Barnett seems like a weird fit. Not sure he's ideal for a Jim Schwartz defense.

Brandon Graham isn't ideal for the wide 9 either.

Maybe we use less of it this year?
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
TJ Watt reminds me a lot of Shea McClellin, so not a fan of that pick.

Eh?

Look, I'm not saying people have to like Watt as a prospect, but that's a horrible comp. And I mean horrible.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks. Lazy comparison is lazy.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
chris00cm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:

SF and CLE killed it.

The Rams did that at #33 in the 2012 draft.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Chris Sanity
roger murdock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for the most part do not like evaluating these players right away because obviously these team have a plan to utilize them.

I do think the track record for guys who are 25+ is terrible so I really hate using a first rounder on one.

I think the Bears and Texans trades seemed pretty desperate as well but obviously they really liked the QBs. If they are good then the trades work, if not they will be disasters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

91jmay wrote:
Thoughts on the Raiders pick? Not going to pretend I know anything about the kid, CB has been Reggie's worst draft position thus far and the off field stuff is a concern even if he is innocent (putting yourself in that situation few weeks before the draft is mind numbingly stupid).

Can he play?
What?

At least George will leave Indy soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: