Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oakland Raiders Defense v2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Oakland Raiders Defense v2 Reply with quote

The other one just hit page 101, so figured it's a good idea to continue here.

Noteworthy: After the upcoming 2017 season, both Amerson and Sean Smith would have earned all their guaranteed money from their respective contracts, and they could both be cut with no dead money.

Both were paid to be above average starting corners, and neither one lived up to expectations last season. Smith looked slow footed and isn't getting younger. Amerson regressed after a breakout (fluke?) season. They both have 2 non-guaranteed years, in 2018 and 2019 in the 7-8 mil range per season.

I would imagine Gareon Conley will get most of his playing time in sub packages as a rookie, but if he impresses, he could very well be in line for a starting job in 2018.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather keep the talk in the old one until Rolni posts his write up tbh. He does a great job with it.

jmo
Rolni

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
After the draft when we have a clear picture about our defensive players I'm going to make a new write up about our defense and I will put that in the new Oak Def topic.
I started this one, so if it is OK with everyone I would like to start the vol 2 also. I would like to give that a quality first post like I did with this back in 2015.
I hope everyone is OK with it and can wait for a week or so for the new thread.
R

As I said in the original topic I would like to start the new one after the draft with a longer analitical post.
Would do that if everybody is fine with it.
HookEm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Defense v2 Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
I would imagine Gareon Conley will get most of his playing time in sub packages as a rookie, but if he impresses, he could very well be in line for a starting job in 2018.

Having Conley on our roster puts a lot of pressure on Smith and Amerson to perform this year. I feel really confident with Smith, Amerson, Conley, and Carrie going into the season.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
I'd rather keep the talk in the old one until Rolni posts his write up tbh. He does a great job with it.

jmo

-shrugs-

had no clue that was a thing. whatever ya say
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
Rolni wrote:
After the draft when we have a clear picture about our defensive players I'm going to make a new write up about our defense and I will put that in the new Oak Def topic.
I started this one, so if it is OK with everyone I would like to start the vol 2 also. I would like to give that a quality first post like I did with this back in 2015.
R

As I said in the original topic I would like to start the new one after the draft with a longer analitical post.

looking forward to see it, it's been 2 years since you make one?
NickButera

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
Rolni wrote:
R

I'm ok with it too. It contributes quite a bit to the forum

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking about the use of Conley and Obi and the best positions for everyone in different sets and while we don't know where they will lineup we have some many options now. We can really play that positionless football guys talk about when they look at the Cards def.

Think about Amerson and Conley on the outside. Obi and KJ matching up on the appropriate skill player underneath and SS and/or Nelson playing deep. We also still have Carrie that can fill in for just about any of those guys. And that is just one way it could work.

I know who is on the field depends on the set but I love the versatility we have now.

Hell, could we be looking at a scenario where Nelson isn't on the field as much. If he is slowing down as some of us believe we have plenty of options now. Gonna be exciting to see how the intro of Pagano to the defense room along with the competition of the new pieces results in.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
Was thinking about the use of Conley and Obi and the best positions for everyone in different sets and while we don't know where they will lineup we have some many options now. We can really play that positionless football guys talk about when they look at the Cards def.

Think about Amerson and Conley on the outside. Obi and KJ matching up on the appropriate skill player underneath and SS and/or Nelson playing deep. We also still have Carrie that can fill in for just about any of those guys. And that is just one way it could work.

I know who is on the field depends on the set but I love the versatility we have now.

Hell, could we be looking at a scenario where Nelson isn't on the field as much. If he is slowing down as some of us believe we have plenty of options now. Gonna be exciting to see how the intro of Pagano to the defense room along with the competition of the new pieces results in.

As much as I love the Cardinals' 3-safety look, I'm not sure that is in the Raiders' plan this upcoming season. The draft suggests the Raiders want to deploy a more traditional 3 corner, 2 safety nickel look and that's what this team has been doing since Del Rio and Ken Norton took over. We'll see what Pagano adds, but I think it's more likely Nelson gets cut than anything.

Further, I don't see Smith coming off the field before Amerson. In fact, I don't see Conley beating either Smith or Amerson in camp to start on the outside. Right now, Conley's best position year 1 is as a ratational player behind Smith and Amerson in primarily zone looks.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:

As much as I love the Cardinals' 3-safety look, I'm not sure that is in the Raiders' plan this upcoming season. The draft suggests the Raiders want to deploy a more traditional 3 corner, 2 safety nickel look and that's what this team has been doing since Del Rio and Ken Norton took over. We'll see what Pagano adds, but I think it's more likely Nelson gets cut than anything.

Further, I don't see Smith coming off the field before Amerson. In fact, I don't see Conley beating either Smith or Amerson in camp to start on the outside. Right now, Conley's best position year 1 is as a ratational player behind Smith and Amerson in primarily zone looks.

First what I mean when I say position less football is it doesn't matter if the guy is listed as a S or corner or lb, we use them on the field and match accordingly and to our advantage. It doesn't necessarily have to be us using 3 safeties.

I alluded to Nelson being the one that could be taken off the field but the only way he is cut is if he is injured or if we get GREAT play from Luani and/or another UDFA or fringe player from last year that makes him expendable.

I never said that Smith would be the one to come off the field first. I was putting an example of how we could get our best players on the field t the same time. Note I said it's one way we could do it. Putting SS(Sean Smith) in a deep cover 2 safety role or single high safety role instead of Nelson are just a few things that adding 2 players like Conley and Obi would allow us to do. May not happen but the whole point of my post was that we have more options now to play with. Versatility and the wisdom to us it is key.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is we're going to see only one true LB in the nickel paired with an hybrid.

Something like this:

Mack - MEJ - Autry - Irvin

Obi - Jenkins

Amerson - Conley - Joseph - Nelson - Smith
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
My guess is we're going to see only one true LB in the nickel paired with an hybrid.

Something like this:

Obi - Jenkins

I really doubt the team goes that route. I think both ILBs stay in on nickel. Obi isn't instinctive enough or strong enough to play a Deone Bucannon role.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Something like this:

Obi - Jenkins

I really doubt the team goes that route. I think both ILBs stay in on nickel. Obi isn't instinctive enough or strong enough to play a Deone Bucannon role.

He wouldn't play Bucannon's role. TE coverage assignment, just like Malcolm Smith last year.
That's actually a package we already used in 2015 with Mays. (I'm not comparing Obi to Mays btw.)
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:

Something like this:

Obi - Jenkins

He wouldn't play Bucannon's role. TE coverage assignment, just like Malcolm Smith last year.
That's actually a package we already used in 2015 with Mays. (I'm not comparing Obi to Mays btw.)

nelson to bench and resign perry, have james, lee, jenkins battle out #2 linebacker
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:

TE coverage responsibilities vacillated between the WILB (Smith) spot and the SS (Karl Joseph, Nate Allen) last year, with a lean more toward the WILB. With Melifonwu, TE coverage can lean more toward the SS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: