Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Current Base Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Al Galdi said that last year the Raiders run defense was a yard per carry better when Stacey McGee was on the field vs when he wasn't.

I believe Al said when McGee was on the field the Raiders defense gave up 3.8 ypc but when he wasn't on the field they gave up 4.8 ypc but I couldn't hear him exactly because it was AM and I was going through the mountains around Cumberland, MD on my way to my cousins wedding in Ohio.

That would be a very interesting stat if we were playing a 4-3. As it stands, I don't know if it means anything.

Quote:
My prediction for the Redskins defensive depth chart is:

ROLB: Galette, Smith
RDE: Allen, Lanier
NT: McGee, Taylor, Ioannidis
LDE: McClain, Hood
LOLB: Kerrigan, Anderson (Murphy starts suspended)

RILB: Brown, Compton
LILB: Foster, Spaight

RCB: Breeland, Hall, Dunbar
LCB: Norman, Fuller
SS: Cravens, Nicholson, Clemons
FS: Swearinger, Blackmon

Wait, you have both Anderson and Murphy backing up Kerrigan on the left side? Aroo? Think
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Al Galdi said that last year the Raiders run defense was a yard per carry better when Stacey McGee was on the field vs when he wasn't.

I believe Al said when McGee was on the field the Raiders defense gave up 3.8 ypc but when he wasn't on the field they gave up 4.8 ypc but I couldn't hear him exactly because it was AM and I was going through the mountains around Cumberland, MD on my way to my cousins wedding in Ohio.

There's no way Galette starts for us. He hasn't played football in two years and has had multiple achilles tears. Honestly I'll be surprised if he even makes the roster.

I also think Anderson was brought in to compete with Preston Smith and Murphy for the right side. I doubt he'll be backing up Kerrigan. Also, Kerrigan rarely comes off the field, so that would be barely any playing time for Anderson.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
mar29020

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

There's no way Galette starts for us. He hasn't played football in two years and has had multiple achilles tears. Honestly I'll be surprised if he even makes the roster.

I also think Anderson was brought in to compete with Preston Smith and Murphy for the right side. I doubt he'll be backing up Kerrigan. Also, Kerrigan rarely comes off the field, so that would be barely any playing time for Anderson.
if anyone thinks galette will start for us and stay healthy are delusional.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

That would be a very interesting stat if we were playing a 4-3. As it stands, I don't know if it means anything.

Quote:

Wait, you have both Anderson and Murphy backing up Kerrigan on the left side? Aroo? Think
Murphy is suspended so, Anderson will start the year as the back up. When Murphy comes back, they'll cut someone and make a spot for Murphy.

Maybe Anderson plays on the right side or they play Murphy on the right side. I'm not sure, it's just a guess at this point.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

You could be right, at this point it's anyone's guess. IMO continuing to play Murphy on the right side is a losing proposition, he just doesn't get much pressure against LTs. Maybe Anderson plays over there and backs up whomever starts at ROLB or he even becomes our starter at ROLB over Galette and Smith.

Galette is still the Redskins most naturally gifted pass rusher - meaning his first step, athletic ability and his pass rush moves - but he has to be healthy. Maybe Smith or Anderson beat him out because as you said Galette hasn't played for two years but if Galette is healthy enough to play, I think he starts opposite Kerrigan.

At this point though, who knows. It's way too soon to know, probably 4 or 4.5 months before the 1st official depth chart comes out.

Lastly, as for the bolded, it's a depth chart. Just because a player is listed on a depth chart in a position doesn't mean that he will never get moved around. Come on man... Laughing

I mean with 4 guys who have started in the NFL infront of Anderson, it remains to be seen how much playing time he's going to see as a rookie anyways(especially if Galette is healthy), unless they slide Smith and/or Murphy inside on 3rd and long so they creates more playing time for Anderson. I expect they will use Smith and/or Murphy more as interior pass rushers this year in their nickel and dime defenses than they did last year, if, IF Galette is healthy.

I read that Harvey-Clemons is going to play ILB and try out as our coverage linebacker.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually love to see Anderson move inside and be a run stopper. I think Mason Foster is a liability and is not capable of being true starter. I am glad that Compton is being pushed to a reserve role.

If Anderson stays outside so be it. But in order to get the best out of this defense, I think, IMO, Smtih and Kerrigan starting on the outside with Brown and Anderson on the inside.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
I would actually love to see Anderson move inside and be a run stopper. I think Mason Foster is a liability and is not capable of being true starter. I am glad that Compton is being pushed to a reserve role.

If Anderson stays outside so be it. But in order to get the best out of this defense, I think, IMO, Smith and Kerrigan starting on the outside with Brown and Anderson on the inside.
Maybe, but I don't really remember Anderson playing much ILB at Alabama, his skill set is as an OLB. He reminds me of James Harrison, Elvis Dumervil or Dwight Freeney; plays with great passion and strong hands. They have good pass rushing moves and are short, compact, stout and strong at the point of attack and are relentless pass rushers who use good leverage and multiple pass rushing moves to get past the OT. Not that he couldn't make the switch to ILB but I'd be shocked if he makes the switch and beats out a veteran like Foster. It it would be an adjustment for Anderson to play ILB and Foster is a good LB vs the run, he'll probably come off the field most of the time this year on 3rd and long like last year.

A closer look at Redskins’ second-round pick Ryan Anderson

http://wapo.st/2pHCkpy?tid=ss_tw-amp

Quote:
His lack of athleticism may be exposed when he attempts to drop into coverage if he’s asked to do much more than simple underneath zone coverages. But he should be able to have an impact on all three downs as he is stout against the run and can set a physical edge, winning with hand placement and low pad level, forcing running backs to cut back inside to the rest of the defense. That should enable him to see the field early and often in his career and give him plenty of snaps to help develop his pass rush.

Last edited by turtle28 on Tue May 02, 2017 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really hoping Steven Daniels gets a legitimate chance to become a starter at ILB. Number 1 run defender at ILB in college football his last year (above Reggie Ragland). He's a beast at shedding blocks. Not too worried about him being a liability in coverage on 1st or 2nd down. It's not like Foster or Compton are much better. Let one of them come in on 3rd downs, but let Daniels be a 2 down thumper for us.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
I'm really hoping Steven Daniels gets a legitimate chance to become a starter at ILB. Number 1 run defender at ILB in college football his last year (above Reggie Ragland). He's a beast at shedding blocks. Not too worried about him being a liability in coverage on 1st or 2nd down. It's not like Foster or Compton are much better. Let one of them come in on 3rd downs, but let Daniels be a 2 down thumper for us.
Didn't realize that about him, it would be amazing if Daniels plays well enough in training camp and the preseason to be the starter at ILB next to Zach Brown. At the least let's hope he does enough to make Compton or Foster expendable because if he does, Daniels is only going to improve - unlike Compton and Foster - and he's cheaper. It would be similar to what happened with Perry Riley pat year and why we kept Mason Foster over Riley.

Marcus21

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

I wouldn't get your hopes up considering they waived Stephen Daniels today!

http://nfltraderumors.co/redskins-waive-four-players/

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Yea, just saw that. And so begins the cleanse of Scot's back-end of the draft picks that I was excited for. Keith Marshall is probably next. Rolling Eyes
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

I wonder if he never got healthy and failed his physical.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they had to cut someone to get to 90. They probably liked an UDFA they signed better or one they will sign. That's probably why Daniels was cut.

Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I think they had to cut someone to get to 90. They probably liked an UDFA they signed better or one they will sign. That's probably why Daniels was cut.

Code:
Banks, Brandon      DL      6-3     287     R   Charlotte
Catalina, Tyler     G       6-6     314     R   Georgia
Jacobs, Levern      WR      5-11    185     R   Maryland
Kalis, Kyle         G       6-4     308     R   Michigan
Pascal, Zach        WR      6-2     219     R   Old Dominion
Pipkins, Ondre      DL      6-3     325     R   Texas Tech
Quick, James        WR      6-0     186     R   Louisvile
Smithson, Fish      S       5-11    190     R   Kansas

Doesn't look like they replaced Daniels with any of the UDFAs. I guess they decided his spot was superfluous with the Zach Brown signing (that would be a mistake)?

Inside
Code:
Bates, Houston      LB      6-3     252     3   Louisiana Tech
Brown, Zach         LB      6-1     248     6   North Carolina
Compton, Will       LB      6-1     238     4   Nebraska
Foster, Mason       LB      6-1     250     7   Washington
Spaight, Martrell   LB      6-0     238     3   Arkansas
Vigil, Zach         LB      6-2     240     3   Utah State

Ouside
Code:
Carter, Chris       LB      6-1     245     7   Fresno State
Galette, Junior     LB      6-2     260     7   Stillman
Kerrigan, Ryan      LB      6-4     265     7   Purdue
Murphy, Trent       LB      6-5     290     4   Stanford
Smith, Preston      LB      6-5     268     3   Mississippi State

Unsure/Undetermined
Code:
Fortt, Khairi       LB      6-2     240     2   California
Robertson, Pete     LB      6-2     233     1   Texas Tech
Trail, Lynden       LB      6-7     270     1   Norfolk State
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Anderson in that list, Woz?

Also, yes, big mistake to release Daniels IMO. I just re-watched the Panthers game from last year, and literally every game-sealing run they had came from Spaight whiffing on a tackle or an assignment. He was beyond terrible. I really think Daniels was the better player. And I know he was the better run defender.

Never seen Spaight do something like this:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: