Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

#29 Pick: TE, David Njoku
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:
I will be the bad guy again.

Your happy with Njoku, with giving up an addition pick, for a guy who isnt a huge need? He is a another athlete project player who is a overgrown WR. Drafting him basically dismisses Devalve who plays the exact same role of a big body athletic TE. Neither can play in-line so the Browns just drafted a project WR who cant do their entire job of the position.

How is Clive Walford doing? How is this good passing on a talent like Reuben Foster, Chidobe Awuzie, Quincy Wilson, Budda Baker and Kevin King? What will Njoku bring immediatly to this team it doesnt already have at a position thats not a huge need?

Yeah I feel it. 3 first round picks need to be 3 immediate starters for a team as bad as the Browns. If Peppers still has to learn the position and Njoku remains a huge liability in the run game and don't get on the field we screwed this up royally.

They don't NEED to be anything immediately, they need to be good eventually.

And odds are one of these guys busts/doesn't live up to expectations. No GM hits 100% of thier first rounders. Might as well prepare yourself now.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:

Your happy with Njoku, with giving up an addition pick, for a guy who isnt a huge need? He is a another athlete project player who is a overgrown WR. Drafting him basically dismisses Devalve who plays the exact same role of a big body athletic TE. Neither can play in-line so the Browns just drafted a project WR who cant do their entire job of the position.

How is Clive Walford doing? How is this good passing on a talent like Reuben Foster, Chidobe Awuzie, Quincy Wilson, Budda Baker and Kevin King? What will Njoku bring immediatly to this team it doesnt already have at a position thats not a huge need?

Yeah I feel it. 3 first round picks need to be 3 immediate starters for a team as bad as the Browns. If Peppers still has to learn the position and Njoku remains a huge liability in the run game and don't get on the field we screwed this up royally.

I don't get it.

If they are good immediately, we still suck as a team.

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
freakygeniuskid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Ether wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:

And odds are one of these guys busts/doesn't live up to expectations. No GM hits 100% of thier first rounders. Might as well prepare yourself now.

This.

If all these guys are absolute superstars year one we still go like 7-9. We want them to be good players long term, how good they are year one is immaterial except in that it point to how good they might be long term.

We're still gonna be bad next year guys. We gotta understand that. The plan looks like it was always to have a rough 2016-2017, play a lot of rookies, identify the good ones, and then get a QB and the last pieces in 2018 and start competing for the playoffs. This year is about developing the team, getting chemistry and consistency going, and establishing the systems that will take us into 2018, not competing for the playoffs. Nobody we drafted was going to change that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:

They did get 3 starters tho.

garrett will be garrett.
Peppers will start because their isnt much talent at the safety position to begin with. You just have to hope that Williams has a plan. IMO for them to draft him, he already has one
NJoku to me will start or at least see a lot of plays. He brings a skill set that no one one the Browns currently have. I love watching his highlights of him running seem routes over the middle and running over a safety or two. Hell I love the idea of making Coleman the 1 and Njoku the 2. having Njoku running a seem or a post and then having Coleman coming underneath him with a slant or crossing route pick your poison. Have a LB try to run underneath with Coleman or have a LB try to run with NJoku or have a safety try to body him over the middle. The potential is there, just have to hope it works out. I dont view Njoku as just a TE,dude is just a playing making receiver. I think he can potential compliment Colemen. I think he can be used exactly like Tyler Eifert. Bengals did have one of their best years when Eifert was killing it in '15. So I think we need to look at what Eifert did that year, the year he spent with Hue, and thats how Njoku should be used. Difference is I think Njoku is a slighty better athlete than him. Heck Eifert was #21 overall and Njoku was #29. He had a similar college career production like him too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Ether wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:

Are you telling me....

As a browns fan....

No GM hits 100% of their first rounders?
Ether

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygeniuskid wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Ether wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:

This.

If all these guys are absolute superstars year one we still go like 7-9. We want them to be good players long term, how good they are year one is immaterial except in that it point to how good they might be long term.

We're still gonna be bad next year guys. We gotta understand that. The plan looks like it was always to have a rough 2016-2017, play a lot of rookies, identify the good ones, and then get a QB and the last pieces in 2018 and start competing for the playoffs. This year is about developing the team, getting chemistry and consistency going, and establishing the systems that will take us into 2018, not competing for the playoffs. Nobody we drafted was going to change that.

You don't know what the plan is. We could have a different front office this time next year. You play to win. Period. Or you won't last.
freakygeniuskid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Njoku specifically:

He tested as the second best athletic TE in this class (which is better than the last three TE classes combined athletically). And he was only bested by George Kittle. Kittle will turn 24 before the season starts, Njoku just turned 21.

Oh, and on the blocking end, Miami basically never asked him to block. But there are a couple highlights of him lighting guys up when he does so and he seems to really enjoy it. Half the battle with athletic TE's is them WANTING to block (look at Gronk, no one thought he was a great blocker coming out, but he loves it and thus became great at it), and it seems like Njoku will do so. Not year one, I think he needs a couple years to put on 10-20 pounds, but he'll get there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Ether wrote:
AkronsWitness wrote:

Are you telling me....

As a browns fan....

No GM hits 100% of their first rounders?

And yet you think they all need to be day one starters....

freakygeniuskid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
You don't know what the plan is. We could have a different front office this time next year. You play to win. Period. Or you won't last.

That's a foolish plan. That's how every FO since the return has been thinking "Win now! Gotta win now!" and look where we've gotten. The current FO went to Haslam with a long range plan and said you have to give us a few years to make it work. Now, Haslam could change his mind, but they're clearly (not overdrafting a QB, signing young FAs, trading for young players) drafting with actually building a team that will compete every year, not one that maybe gets over the hump to get a wildcard one year and then is immediately bad again. Saying you play to win every year is part of what keeps bad teams bad. You have to have a plan that actually encompasses a long range vision for your organization. It's why Pitt is always good, it's why NE is always good, it's why Seattle turned it around (in addition to finding QBs). We see everywhere that the two keys to winning consistently these days are stability and planning in the FO/coaches and a franchise QB. Playing to "win now" every year is how you get where Buffalo is right now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygeniuskid wrote:
On Njoku specifically:

He tested as the second best athletic TE in this class (which is better than the last three TE classes combined athletically). And he was only bested by George Kittle. Kittle will turn 24 before the season starts, Njoku just turned 21.

Oh, and on the blocking end, Miami basically never asked him to block. But there are a couple highlights of him lighting guys up when he does so and he seems to really enjoy it. Half the battle with athletic TE's is them WANTING to block (look at Gronk, no one thought he was a great blocker coming out, but he loves it and thus became great at it), and it seems like Njoku will do so. Not year one, I think he needs a couple years to put on 10-20 pounds, but he'll get there.

Actually Njoku is still 20 and will be for a few more months.

He's a baby.

buno67

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freakygeniuskid wrote:
Ether wrote:

That's a foolish plan. That's how every FO since the return has been thinking "Win now! Gotta win now!" and look where we've gotten. The current FO went to Haslam with a long range plan and said you have to give us a few years to make it work. Now, Haslam could change his mind, but they're clearly (not overdrafting a QB, signing young FAs, trading for young players) drafting with actually building a team that will compete every year, not one that maybe gets over the hump to get a wildcard one year and then is immediately bad again. Saying you play to win every year is part of what keeps bad teams bad. You have to have a plan that actually encompasses a long range vision for your organization. It's why Pitt is always good, it's why NE is always good, it's why Seattle turned it around (in addition to finding QBs). We see everywhere that the two keys to winning consistently these days are stability and planning in the FO/coaches and a franchise QB. Playing to "win now" every year is how you get where Buffalo is right now.

I think the Brock trade secures them at least a 3rd year and if they draft a QB next year, which they should trade up for if its Darnold or Rosen or settle for one of the guys who wont go top5 in Allen or Rudolph and still have another 1st and a buttload of 2nd rd picks, and gives them a 4th year at least.

Im just excited. The browns have been lacking overall talent and athletes for the past couple seasons and the Browns might of got 3 of the most talented guys in the draft.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was picked where the successful TE's usually go so great value considering he is athletic as TE's in the past who have gone top 10.

IMO he was equal with Howard because he can still put weight on his frame and is a better jump ball catcher. 35" arms with a 40" vert at his size is going to be impossible to stop.

As another poster mentioned, he's basically our Eifert. Dalton needs those jump ball players and so does Kessler. A perfect pairing for Cody. I think an underrated aspect of his game is his rac ability. Going to feast off of play action.
Browns1987

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AkronsWitness wrote:

Wasnt a need?
We have Mr Average Barnidge as best TE. And how is it not possible for Njoku and DeValve play together? Take Barnidge out and done.

He is 10 times faster than Barnidge and 10 times better after the catch.
pnies20

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Njoku is a great route runner. He's going to play immediately. Better than friggin Corey Coleman..
candyman93

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnidge is gone. Happy Akron?

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: