Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

#28 Pick - Taco Charlton
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfan4real wrote:
I am one of the last football fans that should be evaluating college football talent since I hardly EVER watch college football. I do follow the draft and I review players based on many expert rankings...but I don't follow players individually.

With that being said, I was curious and looked up the 40 times for the top sack leaders in the NFL at the DE position. I didn't even bother looking at OLB since I know they generally are faster than dline players.

Here is a list of the top sack leaders at DE and their 40 times:

Danielle Hunter 4.57
Cliff Avril 4.51
Cameron Wake 4.65
Khalil Mack 4.65*(According to some scouts he actually ran a bit faster)
Joey Bosa 4.88
Frank Clark 4.79
Mario Addison 4.7
Trent Murphy 4.86
Olivier Vernon 4.8
Calais Campbell 4.85
Carlos Dunlap 4.71
Everson Griffen 4.46
Yannick Ngakoue 4.75

Dude, 4.92 is pretty slow for a DE. I am not saying it is everything, and I never watched this dude play...but when I look at that list, I am not optimistic. I realize that the difference between some of those speeds and Charlton's is literally milliseconds, but I think the correlation from 40 time to succeed at the DE position is important.

Like I said, I never watched the dude play...and from all accounts we got a good pick for where we were at. I am not even suggesting from this post that I think it was a bad pick, but I thought it was interesting enough to research and share.

I mean Bosa ran a 4.88.

I don't think Charlton is Bosa, but I really like the pick.

Everyone wanted a speed rusher, which would be nice, but I am not sold on Demarcus Lawrence AT ALL. Get that big LE here (Taco).
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action Jackson wrote:
I like the pick don't love it. Pretty much no matter what I was going to be happy with a DE at 28. I personally much preferred TJ Watt but he may not be the right fit for our scheme. Also guys, Lawrence and Irving have 1 year left on their deals. Taco may be our starting LE for the next decade.

Exactly. I like Irving and think je could be a multi-line position stud.

However I am not a fan of Lawrence and I'd be ecstatic if Taco can be our LE for the future.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
I posted several times over the last couple of days that I strongly wanted to draft DE in the first round because there was a huge drop off in talent from round 1 to round 2 for DEs but the spread between CBS from round 1 to round 2 was not so big. I'll be damned if Stephen Jones didn't say the exact same thing in the press conference.

Personally, I would have drafted Watt. But, frankly, I also expected Taco to get drafted in the teens so I looked at a lot more stuff at Watt because I thought there was a good chance he'd still be available. So, I'm not complaining about the pick at all. In fact, there's some positives that Taco brings that the other players didn't.

For example, if we nicknamed David Irving "Burrito," we could start having QB fiestas. We could also have a sack dance called the "taco dip." There are just certain advantages that Taco brings to the table.

Football wise, I love the idea bookending Taco and Irving at DE on first and second down... both can play run and pass. On third down and passing situations both Taco and Irving could kick inside and DLaw and Mayoya can rush from the DE. And, in the playoffs, I could even envision a scenario where Gregory is rushing as an OLB with DLaw and Mayoya as ends and Taco and Irving inside. Bottom line is we should be better equipped to get to the QB this year compared to the past 5 years or so.

That part is def true. This is the best DL weve had since Ware was here.. Not saying its good, but we have put out some trash DL in between then and now.

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
acowboys62

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfan4real wrote:
I am one of the last football fans that should be evaluating college football talent since I hardly EVER watch college football. I do follow the draft and I review players based on many expert rankings...but I don't follow players individually.

With that being said, I was curious and looked up the 40 times for the top sack leaders in the NFL at the DE position. I didn't even bother looking at OLB since I know they generally are faster than dline players.

Here is a list of the top sack leaders at DE and their 40 times:

Danielle Hunter 4.57
Cliff Avril 4.51
Cameron Wake 4.65
Khalil Mack 4.65*(According to some scouts he actually ran a bit faster)
Joey Bosa 4.88
Frank Clark 4.79
Mario Addison 4.7
Trent Murphy 4.86
Olivier Vernon 4.8
Calais Campbell 4.85
Carlos Dunlap 4.71
Everson Griffen 4.46
Yannick Ngakoue 4.75

Dude, 4.92 is pretty slow for a DE. I am not saying it is everything, and I never watched this dude play...but when I look at that list, I am not optimistic. I realize that the difference between some of those speeds and Charlton's is literally milliseconds, but I think the correlation from 40 time to succeed at the DE position is important.

Like I said, I never watched the dude play...and from all accounts we got a good pick for where we were at. I am not even suggesting from this post that I think it was a bad pick, but I thought it was interesting enough to research and share.

Oh.
CAPJ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give him a chance.

Why are most people so worried about his 40 time? Are we expecting him to be responsible for chasing down RBs and WRs? Are we handing him the ball 20 times a game?

The uproar about needing a QB last year and so many people upset we drafted Dak. Trust the team and the scouts. We will not get every pick right but at least give the guy a chance to show what he can do.

If he posts 10 sacks is anyone going to care about his 40 time?
DaBoys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the f' did the forty start making or breaking DL? I don't give a rats apple how fast he can run forty yards. How fast does it take his 6'6" frame to run 5 yards? How fast can he get to the QB? Apparently he was one of the fastest in the nation. He is big and can play early downs. He is young, and durable.

I don't think some of you understand how to evaluate 4-3 DEs. They are a bit different than 3-4 OLBs. They don't need to run a 4.5 and demonstrate proper mirror and match technique in man coverage.

I understand he isn't Myles Garrett but we picked 28th not 4th. He is the 9th highest graded player overall on NFL.com. It's incredible value. I honestly didn't think he would be there.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So admittedly I'm not a Lawrence fan. I'm giving him ONE more shot before I completely move on from him. That said, I think we should feel better about our DLine this year, of course assuming no injuries.

McClain was nice but I think Collins has very high potential. Same with Irving - if he can do what he did more consistently the entire season then we have a star.

Lawrence has got to be a 7-8 sack guy at least this year.

And then Taco is a guy I am really excited for.

Of course we also should be moving T. Crawford back inside with Thornton and Collins.

And we could draft a DE in either run tonight as well.
DaBoys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Good thing the QB isn't 40 yards away, huh?

^Gawd he is soooo slowwww...

^ His well-below average athleticism denies him the ability to use speed rushing techniques, and his burst out of the spin is laughably slow.

^ Getting completely worked by 1st round OT Ryan Ramczyk who just eats up this bumbling fools spin move.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite thing about him is how he uses his hands. He just doesnt let OL control him.

It will be interesting to see if he can do that in the pro's.

romo2bryant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to accept this pick more and more, cause realistically who at defensive end is gonna be here at the start of 2018? He's safe, will be here for a while. Great Run defence as a pro. if he can produce 6-8 sacks a year. I'm fine with it.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WH - I finally found the information to put your mind at rest:

Quote:
Taco Charlton 6-6, 277:

10-yard split: 1.63

Vertical: 33

3-cone: 7.17

Danielle Hunter 6-5, 255:

10-yard split: 1.57

Vertical: 36.5

3-cone: 6.95

Carlos Dunlap 6-6, 277:

10-yard split: 1.6

Vertical: 31.5

3-cone: 7.21

Chandler Jones 6-5, 266:

10-yard split: 1.69

Vertical: 35

3-cone: 7.07

Joey Bosa 6-5, 269:

10-yard split: 1.68

Vertical: 32

3-cone: 6.89

Jason Pierre-Paul 6-5, 270:

Vertical: 30.5

3-cone: 7.18

He is either bigger, or faster, than almost everyone on this list. If you watched him run his 40, its painful. He basically lumbers side to side instead of sprinting. I dont think the 40 is a great measurement for him; he is not a track guy.

DaBoys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 10 yard split!!?? 10 yards!!???

Matts thats dumb. He's a DL. I need to know his 40 time. You know what, screw that. I want his 100 yard dash time.

Wth does a 10 yard split tell for a DE? Mean I guess pass rush, but we really need Taco running fly routes.

cromagnum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely fills a need so I'm happy with the pick. I only saw him play against Ohio state and ye he was great. Whether Taco ends up as Justin Tuck or Anthony Spencer nobody really knows. Hopefully he's as good as Tuck.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
WH - I finally found the information to put your mind at rest:

Quote:
Taco Charlton 6-6, 277:

10-yard split: 1.63

Vertical: 33

3-cone: 7.17

Danielle Hunter 6-5, 255:

10-yard split: 1.57

Vertical: 36.5

3-cone: 6.95

Carlos Dunlap 6-6, 277:

10-yard split: 1.6

Vertical: 31.5

3-cone: 7.21

Chandler Jones 6-5, 266:

10-yard split: 1.69

Vertical: 35

3-cone: 7.07

Joey Bosa 6-5, 269:

Vertical: 32

3-cone: 6.89

Jason Pierre-Paul 6-5, 270:

Vertical: 30.5

3-cone: 7.18

He is either bigger, or faster, than almost everyone on this list. If you watched him run his 40, its painful. He basically lumbers side to side instead of sprinting. I dont think the 40 is a great measurement for him; he is not a track guy.

Oh, I'm over it. Not like the pick is going to change. There are things I like, there are more things I don't. Which as I said earlier, just about guarantees Dallas struck gold. I'm not concerned about the 40, it's the other metrics that put him around middle of the pack that bother me. But, it is what it is. Carrying on...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ourlads has his edge speed 2.00 from the left and 1.9 from the right. He can rush from both sides but will probably be most effective from the right.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: