You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 1 Pick 21 Selection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BlitzKarma"]As a matter of general draft principles, there are certain positions that I don't believe should ever be drafted in the 1st round. OG, CENTER, FB, 4-3 LB, 3-4 DE, SAFETY, PUNTER, KICKER, LONG SNAPPER.

85% of the time, we only have 2 LBers on the field. I don't believe you need strong LBers as long as the ones you have can make the sure tackle and not whiff, as long as, you are strong up front and in the backfield.

I would have gone DE or CB.

I agree with one exception, every so often a OLBer comes around like Von Miller who can play very effectively in a 4-3 and dominate a game defensively.

Yes, he is a rare breed, but it does happen occasionally, otherwise I would agree that those positions are not primary ones on a football team and should be avoided if possible.

Still, as you go further down the draft board, sticking to this formula can break down as the primary talent disappears and taking the best of the secondary talent is simply the better pick. I like Davis a lot and think the pick was OK since he can play 3 downs.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Iamcanadian"]
BlitzKarma wrote:
As a matter of general draft principles, there are certain positions that I don't believe should ever be drafted in the 1st round. OG, CENTER, FB, 4-3 LB, 3-4 DE, SAFETY, PUNTER, KICKER, LONG SNAPPER.

85% of the time, we only have 2 LBers on the field. I don't believe you need strong LBers as long as the ones you have can make the sure tackle and not whiff, as long as, you are strong up front and in the backfield.

I would have gone DE or CB.

I agree with one exception, every so often a OLBer comes around like Von Miller who can play very effectively in a 4-3 and dominate a game defensively.

Yes, he is a rare breed, but it does happen occasionally, otherwise I would agree that those positions are not primary ones on a football team and should be avoided if possible.

Still, as you go further down the draft board, sticking to this formula can break down as the primary talent disappears and taking the best of the secondary talent is simply the better pick. I like Davis a lot and think the pick was OK since he can play 3 downs.

You would of gone DB, then DE, regardless, simply on philosophy?

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: