Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 1 Pick 21 Selection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin-Stafford

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlitzKarma wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:
As a matter of general draft principles, there are certain positions that I don't believe should ever be drafted in the 1st round. OG, CENTER, FB, 4-3 LB, 3-4 DE, SAFETY, PUNTER, KICKER, LONG SNAPPER.

85% of the time, we only have 2 LBers on the field. I don't believe you need strong LBers as long as the ones you have can make the sure tackle and not whiff, as long as, you are strong up front and in the backfield.

I would have gone DE or CB.
Were you not watching when teams marched down the field against us throwing to TE's who consistently beat our LB's in coverage? Would it not be valuable to prevent that from happening?

If our D line was up to snuff, that would be easier to cover.
Pressure leads to errant throws.

My rule of thumb is generally three seconds. If the QB has the ball out in less than three seconds, that means that the cover men generally screwed up. If the QB has to hold the ball for more than three seconds without being pressured the D-line should be getting more pressure. The TEs were running quick routes over the middle and getting balls like clockwork in less than three seconds.
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin-Stafford wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:
As a matter of general draft principles, there are certain positions that I don't believe should ever be drafted in the 1st round. OG, CENTER, FB, 4-3 LB, 3-4 DE, SAFETY, PUNTER, KICKER, LONG SNAPPER.

85% of the time, we only have 2 LBers on the field. I don't believe you need strong LBers as long as the ones you have can make the sure tackle and not whiff, as long as, you are strong up front and in the backfield.

Were you not watching when teams marched down the field against us throwing to TE's who consistently beat our LB's in coverage? Would it not be valuable to prevent that from happening?

My rule of thumb is generally three seconds. If the QB has the ball out in less than three seconds, that means that the cover men generally screwed up. If the QB has to hold the ball for more than three seconds without being pressured the D-line should be getting more pressure. The TEs were running quick routes over the middle and getting balls like clockwork in less than three seconds.

The check-down game killed us. We could not cover underneath routes to TEs and RBs and we could not tackle them in space when they caught the ball. It was so frustrating to watch.
BlitzKarma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I looked at our Dline, and seen an injured DE, a young rookie DT, an aging DT now heading into his last season, and a collection of ho hums at the other DE.
Typical_Lions

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlitzKarma wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:

Tight ends caught 93 passes for 10 tds against the Lions last year. I think a good coverage linebacker is definitely in order.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical_Lions wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:

Tight ends caught 93 passes for 10 tds against the Lions last year. I think a good coverage linebacker is definitely in order.
Exactly. DL can't pressure on every snap, and even if they do get a good rush that doesn't mean the offense can't just make quick passes against bad coverage (which happened a lot last year).

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Typical_Lions wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:

Exactly. DL can't pressure on every snap, and even if they do get a good rush that doesn't mean the offense can't just make quick passes against bad coverage (which happened a lot last year).

^ This.

Sig by El Ramster
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kids interviews blow me away. Really excited to have him.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
arin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got two LBs that seem to be able to blitz alright. Maybe we'll finally incorporate that successfully for a change to help our pass rush Razz

Sure seems like we have some big, strong DTs in spades. Hopefully can control the LOS and let our LBs run free.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/04/lions_jarrad_davis_to_play_mid.html

Davis is confirmed going to ply MLB, moving Tahir outside.

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/04/lions_jarrad_davis_to_play_mid.html

Love it. Building it up correctly.

SLB- Tahir Whitehead/Nick Bellore
MLB- Jarrad Davis/Antwione Williams
WLB- Paul Worrilow/Jalen Reeves-Maybin

Sig by El Ramster
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Yeah Tahir is much better suited to be a downhill SLB, will let us utilize his best strength which is simply getting to the ball carrier and taking him down and should allow us to limit how much we ask him to cover significantly.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

Swap Nick Bellore and Antwione Williams and that's probably more accurate. In 2018 we could see Antwione Williams as the SLB, Jarrad Davis obviously at MLB, and Jalen Reeves-Maybin at WLB.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
detroitroar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

2 birds, 1 stone.

Add a couple good dlinemen and this D looks kinda good all of a sudden.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the pick, very solid pro potential for greatness.

Foster has serious shoulder issues and is a high risk/reward prospect, but I do not think we were in a position to take that kind of risk. Foster main turn out to become fully recovered at some point and be better than Davis, but it is a boom or bust pick.
1King

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm late, but I like the pick. Maybe not my first choice, but a solid pick who should have a long productive career.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: