You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 1 Pick 21 Selection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
Calvin-Stafford wrote:
I'm massively disappointed. We could've had FOSTER! And we pick Davis. It's like having a Mercedes on the board and picking the Honda.

A Honda?

Your analogy would be better if you mentioned that the Mercedez had a fluid issue during the test drive and a suspected repair needed so you decided to get a BMW with no issues that the driver like just as much, if not more.

I sure hope we didn't get any foreign junk. Hopefully we got the Caddy Wink

ahoda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like he has injury history. I'm ok with the pick, just hope he can stay healthy.
WE-R-Lions

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
I think that this was a good one. It reminds me of the Decker pick last year, in that it's a high character guy that has some versatility so that he can play where he fits best and not be forced into a role (Decker could've played RT or LT, Davis can play any of our LB spots).

Yes sir, Give me another!! Solid versatile player!! Feels like a NE pick. Shocked
Big Cat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok with selection, but Foster would have been my choice.
BlitzKarma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of general draft principles, there are certain positions that I don't believe should ever be drafted in the 1st round. OG, CENTER, FB, 4-3 LB, 3-4 DE, SAFETY, PUNTER, KICKER, LONG SNAPPER.

85% of the time, we only have 2 LBers on the field. I don't believe you need strong LBers as long as the ones you have can make the sure tackle and not whiff, as long as, you are strong up front and in the backfield.

I would have gone DE or CB.

It sucks that McCaffery was off the board. I think he would have done more for our defense than any one defensive player ever could. Oh, well, there are still a few RB's that I really like.
Mixon, but, if we want him, we will have to use our 2nd round pick to get him. He won't be there in the 3rd.

Kareem Hunt, if this kid went to a power conference school, he would have already been drafted.

If all else fails, Perine. But, I would feel like we were just wasting a pick so they could say they addressed the position.

If we ever get a real bellcow RB to help Stafford out, (yes, we are a passing offense. But, we pass so much because we try to run the ball and fail to gain anything significant almost every time we try. Our current crop of RB's SUCK!!! Yes, even Abdullah. ), we would be unstoppable.
BlitzKarma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that said, I don't hate the pick. I just hope he works out better than our last first round LBer.

The 2 knocks on Davis is that sometimes he whiffs and sometimes he runs himself out of the play.

Sounds a bit too much like ERNIE SIMS.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually like the pick a lot. Wanted D. Got a great rangy LB who is not afraid to hit

He has ability to do it all.

AAL- Abdullah

Tigers suck. Thanks DD for never getting bull pen
justwantwins

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had what was arguably the worst set of LBs in the league. We needed an upgrade in a huge way. There isn't a lot of quality depth to this LB class. Assuming his health issues are behind him, I like the pick.
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Actually like the pick a lot. Wanted D. Got a great rangy LB who is not afraid to hit

He has ability to do it all.

Agreed.

I think Foster was maybe more talented, but I don't think the difference is as dramatic as people think. This was the safer pick and I think it fills a huge need.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlitzKarma wrote:
All that said, I don't hate the pick. I just hope he works out better than our last first round LBer.

The 2 knocks on Davis is that sometimes he whiffs and sometimes he runs himself out of the play.

Sounds a bit too much like ERNIE SIMS.

The major difference though is that Davis's strength at the POA is a positive as is his instincts and ability to shed blocks. None of which were strong points for Sims.

I'm happy with it. I think Foster is a bit more talented but I could see the reason why Davis would be picked.

MathMan wrote:
You're the best player in the game at this.
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlitzKarma wrote:
As a matter of general draft principles, there are certain positions that I don't believe should ever be drafted in the 1st round. OG, CENTER, FB, 4-3 LB, 3-4 DE, SAFETY, PUNTER, KICKER, LONG SNAPPER.

85% of the time, we only have 2 LBers on the field. I don't believe you need strong LBers as long as the ones you have can make the sure tackle and not whiff, as long as, you are strong up front and in the backfield.

It sucks that McCaffery was off the board. I think he would have done more for our defense than any one defensive player ever could. Oh, well, there are still a few RB's that I really like.
Mixon, but, if we want him, we will have to use our 2nd round pick to get him. He won't be there in the 3rd.

Kareem Hunt, if this kid went to a power conference school, he would have already been drafted.

If all else fails, Perine. But, I would feel like we were just wasting a pick so they could say they addressed the position.

If we ever get a real bellcow RB to help Stafford out, (yes, we are a passing offense. But, we pass so much because we try to run the ball and fail to gain anything significant almost every time we try. Our current crop of RB's SUCK!!! Yes, even Abdullah. ), we would be unstoppable.

I don't mind general principles so long as you have well thought out exceptions. If your general principle is no 4-3 LBs in the first, I hope you've carved out an exception that takes into account:

1. How bad our LBs were last year and how it's our most pressing need;
2. How there are 3 top end LBs in this year's draft and one of them was gone and the gulf between them and the rest of the LBs is vast;
3. How deep the edge and DB class is and the likelihood of good players being available later at those positions.

We certainly had other issues on defense last year, but the two most palpable issues were:

1. linebackers lack of speed/coverage ability
2. In ability to shut down the run in high leverage situations (in large part due to bad LB play).

I also think the 85% argument is weak. We have a linebacker on the field 100% of defensive snaps. Davis is a three down linebacker who can play any linebacker position. If healthy, he could play everyone of those snaps at any LB position.

This was our team's most pressing need. We didn't over think it. It was a meatball and we knocked it out of the park.
BlitzKarma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CutParisLenon wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:

I don't mind general principles so long as you have well thought out exceptions. If your general principle is no 4-3 LBs in the first, I hope you've carved out an exception that takes into account:

2. How there are 3 top end LBs in this year's draft and one of them was gone and the gulf between them and the rest of the LBs is vast;
3. How deep the edge and DB class is and the likelihood of good players being available later at those positions.

We certainly had other issues on defense last year, but the two most palpable issues were:

2. In ability to shut down the run in high leverage situations (in large part due to bad LB play).

I also think the 85% argument is weak. We have a linebacker on the field 100% of defensive snaps. Davis is a three down linebacker who can play any linebacker position. If healthy, he could play everyone of those snaps at any LB position.

This was our team's most pressing need. We didn't over think it. It was a meatball and we knocked it out of the park.

Your response was covered with my follow up post. LOL. I don't hate this pick because of the LB situation, IN THIS DRAFT, and on OUR TEAM. Caps for emphasis, not yelling.
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlitzKarma wrote:
CutParisLenon wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:

Your response was covered with my follow up post. LOL. I don't hate this pick because of the LB situation, IN THIS DRAFT, and on OUR TEAM. Caps for emphasis, not yelling.

I missed that one like an Ernie Sims tackle.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlitzKarma wrote:

Were you not watching when teams marched down the field against us throwing to TE's who consistently beat our LB's in coverage? Would it not be valuable to prevent that from happening?

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
BlitzKarma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
BlitzKarma wrote:

Were you not watching when teams marched down the field against us throwing to TE's who consistently beat our LB's in coverage? Would it not be valuable to prevent that from happening?

If our D line was up to snuff, that would be easier to cover.
Pressure leads to errant throws.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: