Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 1, Pick 14 -- Derek Barnett -- DE, Tenn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Jimmy just posted a nice stat in an article he wrote.

Derek Barnett played against drafted LTs in 14 games in his career at Tenn. he has 15 sacks in those games.

That's impressive. Shocked

If he is aware of that which i'm sure he is, that's got to give him some serious confidence.

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality" -Tesla
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

Derek Barnett played against drafted LTs in 14 games in his career at Tenn. he has 15 sacks in those games.

If he is aware of that which i'm sure he is, that's got to give him some serious confidence.

well also goes against what everyone is saying about how his skillset wont work against NFL OTs it already did.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

well also goes against what everyone is saying about how his skillset wont work against NFL OTs it already did.

Not really.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

Not really.

Yeah cause lots of those guys will bust out.

Think it gives him a mental edge going in the year , like i belong. Way more then say if your coming from a school like Oregon St or Boise St where you might see one or two decent tackles a year at best.

Just takes one angry guard from Wisconsin or Michigan St built like farm truck playing for the Steelers or Bengals who's going to put a helmet on your shoulder/neck on a pull block and gives you the worst stinger ever and knock you into next week, for reality to crash down on you Laughing

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality" -Tesla
nlesthought

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:

I wonder how many of those LTs are starting right now in the NFL?

I'm guessing a good number of those SEC LTs have been moved to RT or guard.

I'm setting my expectation low, so that I'm surprised.
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

Not really.

Think it gives him a mental edge going in the year , like i belong. Way more then say if your coming from a school like Oregon St or Boise St where you might see one or two decent tackles a year at best.

Just takes one angry guard from Wisconsin or Michigan St built like farm truck playing for the Steelers or Bengals who's going to put a helmet on your shoulder/neck on a pull block and gives you the worst stinger ever and knock you into next week, for reality to crash down on you Laughing

I'm not really worried about the mental side of things with Barnett or most of our picks tbh. Douglas seemed to get guys that are tough minded with a chip on their shoulder.

But, yeah most of the guys drafted won't make it as a starter at the next level. Like I think Robinson was the best tackle he faced and even he doesn't really have the foot speed that most good tackles in the league do.

Look at Barnett's sack against Robinson that is always showed in his highlights. He got a great jump on the snap count and Robinson was kind of slow out of his pass set which caused him to not be able to get out there in time with his foot speed to reach Barnett.

A good tackle in the league will have better foot speed and superior pass sets, so they won't have as much trouble slowing him down as he tries to win with outside rushes.

So, I really could care less about a stat. It doesn't tell me much without context which you get from watching tape.

Does this mean I think he can't win?

No.

He can develop counters which will help him win more frequently.

Not every tackle he will face will have great foot speed or technique. Starters get hurt and their replacements will be easier for him to take advantage of with the way he wins. I mean look at what Ryan Kerrigan did to Vaitai? You think he's having that kind of game against Lane Johnson?

I'm rooting for Barnett, but a stat doesn't dismiss how well we think the way he won in college will translates to the next level.
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this on Reddit about Barnett and thought it was pretty cool.

Someone that claims to have played HS football with him talked a little about the type of person he is.

Quote:
Hey guys. I wanted to come here and tell you a little about Derek Barnett. I went to high school with the guy, and played football with him for 3 years. Can't even tell you how many times I had to block him as a scout team o-lineman. I counted it as an enormous personal victory if I was able to hook him on a sweep play or beat him at anything. We had a really talented team. Jalen Ramsey (of the Jaguars) was on our team and we've had other guys go play D-1 consistently. Some of them I couldn't stand to be around because of how cocky the were and the way they looked down on everyone else because they weren't getting scouted or whatever. Ramsey was the worst at that. Hate the guy. But ever since Derek graduated, I've been cheering real hard for him because he wasn't like those other guys. He was hard working and, albeit a little soft spoken, he respected those around him. I've seen him a couple times since we have both graduated, and he's never acted like he was too cool to say hi, or stop to catch up for a little bit. I know there might be some mixed opinions about his ability and the grading of the pick itself, but the Eagles could not have drafted a better person to represent your organization and to put in the work required to perform well. I'm a Titans fan and selfishly wish we could have picked him up, but I will be cheering on Derek throughout his career.

Seems like he's always been a good guy and success hasn't changed him which is cool.

I mean just from his interviews you can tell that he's a good kid that has his head on right.

He's definitely one of those that completely transforms from nice guy to wanting to rip your head off when the pads go on.

Also, the part about Ramsey doesn't really surprise me. He just comes off as super cocky.
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Barnett missing Rookie camp by not signing his contract early like other 1st Rd picks? I thought rookie contracts were pretty much structured already with a % increase for each rookie draft year?

Arrow Just saw highlights of Barnett practicing. I'm confused. Did he sign? Practicing regardless?

Bird Watch: TE Zach Ertz: 14Gm/ 106Tgt //78 Rec//812 Yds//4 TD//10.5 Y/R
eagles18

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
So is Barnett missing Rookie camp by not signing his contract early like other 1st Rd picks? I thought rookie contracts were pretty much structured already with a % increase for each rookie draft year?

Arrow Just saw highlights of Barnett practicing. I'm confused. Did he sign? Practicing regardless?

rookie contracts usually are held up due to offset language..
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

I wonder how many of those LTs are starting right now in the NFL?

I'm guessing a good number of those SEC LTs have been moved to RT or guard.

I'm setting my expectation low, so that I'm surprised.

oh i am sure they are probably back ups or moved to other spots on the line.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles18 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

Just never thought he would touch the field before signing said contract?

EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
eagles18 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

Unsigned rookies practicing in rookie camp is commonplace in the NFL.
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
eagles18 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

yeah rookie contracts used to be signed way later before the rookie wage scale

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
EaglesFan5-36-81 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
eagles18 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:

yeah rookie contracts used to be signed way later before the rookie wage scale

So if a Rookie pulls a Jaylon Smith (catastrophic injury) during Rookie Camp. The Organizations still going to honor said contract? No way I'd attend until my contract was signed, period!!

EaglesFan5-36-81

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
ninjapirate wrote:

Not really.

I'm not really worried about the mental side of things with Barnett or most of our picks tbh. Douglas seemed to get guys that are tough minded with a chip on their shoulder.

But, yeah most of the guys drafted won't make it as a starter at the next level. Like I think Robinson was the best tackle he faced and even he doesn't really have the foot speed that most good tackles in the league do.

Look at Barnett's sack against Robinson that is always showed in his highlights. He got a great jump on the snap count and Robinson was kind of slow out of his pass set which caused him to not be able to get out there in time with his foot speed to reach Barnett.

A good tackle in the league will have better foot speed and superior pass sets, so they won't have as much trouble slowing him down as he tries to win with outside rushes.

So, I really could care less about a stat. It doesn't tell me much without context which you get from watching tape.

Does this mean I think he can't win?

No.

He can develop counters which will help him win more frequently.

Not every tackle he will face will have great foot speed or technique. Starters get hurt and their replacements will be easier for him to take advantage of with the way he wins. I mean look at what Ryan Kerrigan did to Vaitai? You think he's having that kind of game against Lane Johnson?

I'm rooting for Barnett, but a stat doesn't dismiss how well we think the way he won in college will translates to the next level.

Didn't he demolish Ole Miss and Tunsil a couple years ago?

Also had a sack against DJ Humphries in 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: