You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 1, Pick 14 -- Derek Barnett -- DE, Tenn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock-Stark

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes, triple post.

Eagles|Bulls|White Sox|Real Madrid

Carson Wentz <3

Last edited by Rock-Stark on Mon May 01, 2017 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Rock-Stark

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Carson Wentz <3

Last edited by Rock-Stark on Mon May 01, 2017 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Rock-Stark

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, surprised to see the reactions to this pick. I can understand wanting someone like Allen, Hooker, or Howard instead and as much as I like those 3, I'm elated with the Barnett pick. He's got tremendous pass rush ability despite being an average athlete. His ability to time snaps, use his violent hands, and his ability to bend and finish are top notch. Barnett has produced for 3 years in the toughest conference in college football and is still only 20 years old. I believe he has the potential to be a cornerstone for us on defense, I'm a huge fan of the kid and am glad we got him and Sidney Jones.

Pick gets an A from.

Carson Wentz <3
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lo wrote:
Its so funny how adamant everyone is about how these players will project to the next level. Inernet gms - "Well this guy wasnt in draft pundit x's top 5 remaing players and I watched draftbreakdown on the weekend and I agree, this guy will never be more than league average"

Yeah, but that's the kind of discussion fans typically have, since we don't have a crystal ball. The only fair reaction is to hold your opinion until three or four years into their careers. But who wants to do that? That's boring and too realistic.

When your team drafts a guy like Barnett, or anyone, you usually get people who are happy or people who are unhappy. Either way, you're projecting something that has yet to happen, and both opinions are equally flawed. Just gotta keep in mind this is just fan banter. Cool

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahah B60 with the basset hound body type comps.

He is a little doughy, but he's only 20 years old. I think in an NFL weight room he'll actually be able to get rid of that baby fat and still add close to 10 lbs and possibly be more explosive than he is now.
D-Lo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
D-Lo wrote:
Its so funny how adamant everyone is about how these players will project to the next level. Inernet gms - "Well this guy wasnt in draft pundit x's top 5 remaing players and I watched draftbreakdown on the weekend and I agree, this guy will never be more than league average"

Yeah, but that's the kind of discussion fans typically have, since we don't have a crystal ball. The only fair reaction is to hold your opinion until three or four years into their careers. But who wants to do that? That's boring and too realistic.

When your team drafts a guy like Barnett, or anyone, you usually get people who are happy or people who are unhappy. Either way, you're projecting something that has yet to happen, and both opinions are equally flawed. Just gotta keep in mind this is just fan banter. Cool

Yea I know that these discussions will occur and I do respect a lot of the opinions on this board. I'm not really speak
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
Hahah B60 with the basset hound body type comps.

He is a little doughy, but he's only 20 years old. I think in an NFL weight room he'll actually be able to get rid of that baby fat and still add close to 10 lbs and possibly be more explosive than he is now.

That would be awesome if that happened.
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
D-Lo wrote:

After the Eagles drafted Marcus Smith I did an analysis of the league's top pass rushers.
In their rookie years they averaged about 4 sacks and 22 tackles.
That's it.
I theorized that Smith should show production equal to that and if he did he should not be considered a bust.
He did not.
In fact, he is 4/23 for his career.

I went back and did the same thing for 2016.
The numbers came out to 5 and 33.
I think that is what we should hope to get from Barnett.

The reason I did it was because of the wild expectations.
"Oh, I can see him getting 10-12 sacks."
These things can take time.
It is not like drafting a RB who can put up 950 yards and 10 TD's out of the gate.

I predict we will hear about how much of a bust Barnett is even if he is on pace to exceed the lower threshold numbers of 5/33.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on the stats. Unfortunately, I don't think he gets that 5 sacks this year. I'd be surprised, indeed. Barnett is the same size and weight as Smith. That kind of player doesn't have much leverage as a DE and will usually get swallowed up.

babyatemydingo wrote:

After the Eagles drafted Marcus Smith I did an analysis of the league's top pass rushers.
That's it.
I theorized that Smith should show production equal to that and if he did he should not be considered a bust.
He did not.

It is not like drafting a RB who can put up 950 yards and 10 TD's out of the gate.

I predict we will hear about how much of a bust Barnett is even if he is on pace to exceed the lower threshold numbers of 5/33.
D-Lo

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
Phire wrote:
D-Lo wrote:

That's it.
He did not.

I just want to add that J. Allen very likely was lower on the stack vs. Barnett for monts and possibly wasnt on our board at all due to his medical report. I think the same is true aboyt Foster, not to mention the off field and character concerns. Eome people really liked M. Hooker but 13 other teams passed on him besides the Eagles but including the Chargers who have a need at safety. The Eagles don't have a need at safety so Hooker wouldnt really make as much sense position wise. I don't care what Barnetts 40 time. He has great hand technique, instincts, and very good 20 yard shuttle time. He will be around the ball a ton and I think he exceed expectations for a lot of you guys.
Jlash

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FerrisBueller wrote:
Great work on the stats. Unfortunately, I don't think he gets that 5 sacks this year. I'd be surprised, indeed. Barnett is the same size and weight as Smith. That kind of player doesn't have much leverage as a DE and will usually get swallowed up.

Barnett is nearly 10 lbs heavier already than Smith was coming in, and he's only 20 years old. I don't think it's a huge leap to think he'll continue to add some weight as he gets older.

Also, Smith was a 1 year wonder in college, in which his 1 good season came against AAC competition. We know the competition Barnett faced week in and week out for 3 years at Tennessee and he produced consistently throughout.

As players I don't think they're anywhere near comparable.
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
FerrisBueller wrote:

Barnett is nearly 10 lbs heavier already than Smith was coming in, and he's only 20 years old. I don't think it's a huge leap to think he'll continue to add some weight as he gets older.

Also, Smith was a 1 year wonder in college, in which his 1 good season came against AAC competition. We know the competition Barnett faced week in and week out for 3 years at Tennessee and he produced consistently throughout.

As players I don't think they're anywhere near comparable.

There not comparable one bit. If you want to pick a comparison with similar size, skillset, college resume just look at the other T-Rex on the roster. Unlike BG let's hope Barnett doesn't start his career off by setting​ it back a few seasons with a Injury his rookie year!!!!!! Pray

17' Bird Watch: QB Carson Wentz: 318Att//61% Comp//2430 Yds//25 TD//5 INT//224 Rush yds//QBR 103.4
EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FerrisBueller wrote:

babyatemydingo wrote:

That's it.
He did not.

Yeah. Imma echo what others are saying. Barnett is NOTHING like Marcus Smith coming out of college. Most of Smith's backfield production came from scheme, which left him an unimpeded, unblocked path into the backfield. Smith was a 1 year wonder in the ACC...while Barnett was consistently dominant in the SEC.
oland11

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
Phire wrote:
D-Lo wrote:

That's it.
He did not.

Very good analysis. Not all rookies can produce like Reggie White did his rookie year in the NFL. 5/33 is a good number to look towards. Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes time to develop into an NFL player. Not everyone is the HOFers that we have had on the Eagles who were straight studs from day one.

Chip Kelly on Sam Bradford: "We didnt bring in Sam to be a trade chip, Im the only Chip here"
vinniepaz wrote:
LOL roll is going off. I love you draft day
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy just posted a nice stat in an article he wrote.

Derek Barnett played against drafted LTs in 14 games in his career at Tenn. he has 15 sacks in those games.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: