You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st round 12th overall: QB Deshaun Watson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: 1st round 12th overall: QB Deshaun Watson Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/deshaun-watson?id=2558063

Quote:
BOTTOM LINE Teams will have to weigh the inconsistent field vision and decision-making against his size, athleticism, leadership and production. While not perfect, teams can add checks to both arm and accuracy boxes for Watson. However, discussions about whether or not his areas of improvement can be corrected will likely determine whether a team will view him as a high-upside prospect or a franchise quarterback. Watson's transition from Clemson's offense to a pro-style attack will obviously take time, but his combination of intangibles and athletic ability make him worth a first-round selection.

Last edited by Texansfan713 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every wrong thus organization has ever committed is forgiven.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the biggest Watson fan but I dont completely hate him. I am desperate for a QB. JUst hope he can limit his INTs and make better decisions in the immediate passing game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My saving thought is OB1 worked with Brady for a few years. He sees in Watson what Tom Brady had: despite people who doubt you, you just win.

I ain't in love with the pick, but I don't hate the pick. I might even pick me up a Battle Red Watson jersey! Wink

Also draft value chart says we overpaid by 100 points (essentially a 4th round pick).

But if Watson turns out to be a franchise QB....

Honestly, I think Rick Smith panicked OR OB1 threatened him like his name was Brock Osweiler... LMAO
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
My saving thought is OB1 worked with Brady for a few years. He sees in Watson what Tom Brady had: despite people who doubt you, you just win.

I ain't in love with the pick, but I don't hate the pick. I might even pick me up a Battle Red Watson jersey! Wink

Also draft value chart says we overpaid by 100 points (essentially a 4th round pick).

Honestly, I think Rick Smith panicked OR OB1 threatened him like his name was Brock Osweiler... LMAO

Did you use the value chart for giving them the 32nd pick?

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sink or swim, this was a move this franchise HAD to make. It is ridiculous that it has come to the point that we have to sell out the 2018 draft to do it, but I applaud Rick for finally getting it done. I'll reserve judgement on the finer points with Watson as honestly, I put the odds so low on us acquiring him, but in hindsight I should have trusted my draft predicting strategy of boot licking Rick Smith filling the roster with South Carolina players to please his SC bred owner.

It is about friggin time this hyper conservative franchise finally took a swing at greatness. Everything about this pick just feels right, which is a bit scary. I was beginning to be legitimately concerned that we were going to lose Hopkins, who certainly saw first hand with Andre Johnson the perils of QB purgatory, but you've gotta think he just soiled himself over the future Clemson connection. We still have work to do as we have to address tackle, safety, cb and dline but for the first time since I bought my PSLs back in 2000, we at least have a path to a Super Bowl. Amen!

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
jch1911 wrote:

Yep
1-12 = 1,200 pts
1-25 = 720 pts
2018 lowest 1st = 590 pts (720 + 590 = 1310)
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
jch1911 wrote:

As far as I'm concerned you can burn the value chart this year. Honestly if you told me the Bears were going to trade up to #2 to grab a QB, I would have put my money on Watson 2 months ago. Jags grabbing Watson at #4 STILL made plenty of sense and I wouldn't have been shocked to see us trade some high picks for Bortles, so I'll take this scenario all day. Corey Davis and John Ross going in the top ten is god awful value, so moving up to get Watson at #12 is solid value straight up, but given the Texans propensity for being slow to the punch on QBs, moving ahead of the Cards for Watson was the home run of the draft as far as I'm concerned (doesn't mean he's a steal, but you'll never convince me that whatever Trubisky & Mahomes did in shorts this offseasonto elevate from 3rd rounders to high first, doesn't make Watson a rock solid pick at #12). Call me crazy, but if Watson was eligible last year he gets taken before Goff or Wentz. It seems like there is almost an anti-college success bias when it comes to draftniks as they all like to overthink their hidden gems, but certain picks are just great fits and this smells like Ezekiel Elliot to Cowboys last year as right team, right spot.

Now Watson may fail (and I reserve my right to evoke EJ Manuel references next offseason) but as much as I bash Rick Smith, you'll never hear any qualms from me about the value of the pick on paper. As far as I'm concerned, if any of the remaining QBs go in the 2nd or 3rd they will be reaches as all of them top out as backups to me (Kizer will start for someone (Browns) but he's got Cutler-loser written all over him to me). Going into a season with Tom Savage and some other 2nd/3rd round project/prayer would have been a Browns-level Cody Kessler throw away for a team that with a great window and pieces in place to scare people.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
Longhorns90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm just glad that they finally pulled the trigger. Yeah, you can say that this QB class is weaker than the next one, but unless you're deliberately trying to tank to get a high enough pick to make sure you get like, Sam Darnold, you're not really guaranteeing yourself a solution - and even then, it's still a risk, just probably a more promising one. Nothing is guaranteed in the draft, but you can't leave such a gaping hole in the most important position in the sport, and eventually you have to pick a player to make a stand with.

And a guy who made the best defense in college football look silly, twice, on the biggest stage - is probably a decent hill to die on.
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB9AiKMcsCw

I called all dis [inappropriate/removed] back in January!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know AmazingAndre is going to be pumped up about this pick, I wish I shared in his enthusiasm. This pick makes me nervous, but I really hope Watson proves my fears to be baseless and he becomes a franchise worthy QB.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan4 has a nice ring to it.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Marco79

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predicting whether a QB is going to translate to the NFL is so hit or miss, so I'm not gonna sit here and think Deshaun is going to be amazing. All I know is that this at least gives the Texans a shot of developing a franchise QB finally. If it works out, great, and if it doesn't at least they actually tried something that they haven't done since 2002.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly we could have traded up and grabbed Kiser and I would have been happy that we did something, but Watson has been one of my favorite college players for years. the guy is fearless and a winner.

look at recent Round 1 QBs who won the championship

Jamis Winston
Cam Newton

both of those guys had the same "it" factor, both had some questions about whether or not they could translate to the NFL. Both have been better and perhaps good enough to lead the Texans deep in the playoffs

The "It" factor seems to be something of value here.

He is going to have an instant connection with Deandre Hopkins because they are both from Clemson, not together, but they will be able to bond over it.

we need to make a commitment to either sit him most or all of the season or start him from day 1. I am leaning towards starting him, even if Savage is more ready, nothing replaces game experience.

Jaytrajik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just surprised the FO had the stones to make a gutsy move like this. Rick Smith's last shot at rolling the dice and he's going all in. Now we need to sew up the o line to keep Watson off his back.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: