You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft Day 1: Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Draft Day 1: Discussion Reply with quote

Should be a pretty quiet day for the boys, but feel free to discuss Round 1 of the best day of the year right here!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quietest pre-draft run up I can remember as a Pats fan. No 1st or 2nd rounder really killed a lot of the intrigue and excitement from a Pats perspective.

Still should be a fun and entertaining draft, hopefully the AFC East teams continue to bumble along and hopefully the true impact players and future franchise QB's (if there are any, which I doubt) end up in the NFC where the Pats don't have to face them

I'm hoping for one or two solid role players (e.g. Harmon, James White) or short term quality starters (e.g. Logan Ryan). That's probably the best case scenario this weekend.

Good thing they had a great class last year, it should make up for what will probably be a pretty weak 2017 group.
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Quietest pre-draft run up I can remember as a Pats fan. No 1st or 2nd rounder really killed a lot of the intrigue and excitement from a Pats perspective.

Still should be a fun and entertaining draft, hopefully the AFC East teams continue to bumble along and hopefully the true impact players and future franchise QB's (if there are any, which I doubt) end up in the NFC where the Pats don't have to face them

I'm hoping for one or two solid role players (e.g. Harmon, James White) or short term quality starters (e.g. Logan Ryan). That's probably the best case scenario this weekend.

Good thing they had a great class last year, it should make up for what will probably be a pretty weak 2017 group.

Yep, agreed. I usually make more time to tune in during the run up to the draft but the incentive really isn't there from a Pats perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Pats perspective, I think the top of round one tonight could still be intriguing. Depending on how the draft plays out with who selects QBs and who selects CBs could determine if Garoppolo or Butler is moved.

If a few QBs are taken early, then maybe Cleveland would feel they need to up the ante. Maybe Cleveland ups the ante for Garoppolo, but we still don't trade him. Very intriguing.

Belichick can really kind of control this draft if he wants to move pieces around.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Browns end up taking Trubisky and the Garoppolo talk will die off for a while.
lancerman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drafted Brandon Cooks
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
We drafted Brandon Cooks

Pretty sure Brandin Cooks was drafted by New Orleans

Last edited by mcmurtry86 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
We drafted Brandon Cooks

Pretty sure Branin Cooks was drafted by New Orleans
can you not?
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
We drafted Brandon Cooks

can you not?

Can I not point out the difference between drafting a player and trading for one?

I get the sentiment he has going for, but there's a huge difference between drafting an unknown guy and having a 5 year rookie deal and acquiring a proven guy who is going to command big bucks sooner rather than later.
Starless

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Starless wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
We drafted Brandon Cooks

can you not?

Can I not point out the difference between drafting a player and trading for one?

I get the sentiment he has going for, but there's a huge difference between drafting an unknown guy and having a 5 year rookie deal and acquiring a proven guy who is going to command big bucks sooner rather than later.
Can you not engage in this kind of obnoxious pedantry? lancerman was pretty obviously not being literal. And FWIW you made a typo of your own while correcting his, which should tell you something.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Starless wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
We drafted Brandon Cooks

can you not?

Can you not engage in this kind of obnoxious pedantry? lancerman was pretty obviously not being literal. And FWIW you made a typo of your own while correcting his, which should tell you something.

I'm sorry my "obnoxious pedantry" got in the way of everyone's enjoyment of watching the tumbleweeds blow through this place. It was really more of a sarcastic joke than an exercise in pedantry but I guess it came off more harshly than I intended. Next time, I'll make sure to use enough emoticons to convey my true tone.

Hopefully, Lancerman can forgive me for making a poorly stated joke at his expense.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm skeptical of Garrett being the elite prospect some make him out to be, but he seems to be a pretty down to earth guy as far as top draft picks go
Donut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

Yeah its weird having no player the media links obsessively. I think they were planning on pushing Peppers on us. The most memorable one was Jace Amaro months of arguments.

I don't really care much for this class but the optimist in me hopes Cunningham or Basham will fall to our first pick
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

Yeah its weird having no player the media links obsessively. I think they were planning on pushing Peppers on us. The most memorable one was Jace Amaro months of arguments.

I don't really care much for this class but the optimist in me hopes Cunningham or Basham will fall to our first pick

I don't get the "deepest draft in memory" type talk. Granted, we hear that most years. But this class looks pretty mediocre to bad overall. OL is horrendous. QB is shaky at best. CB and S are loaded. LB and DL are pretty normal, with many of the better prospects having big red flags. TE is top heavy with no depth. RB is deep but who cares about RB depth anyway? Most of the "success" picks at RB will be role players or platoon guys. WR is lacking true gamebreakers but has a lot of low end 1 or useful 2 types.

I think "the draft is so deep you get get a first round talent in the 2nd round" talk which we hear so much of is total crap. I'm not sure if it's an effort to generate interest in the draft, or to justify mocking wacky picks into the first round (to generate clicks) or to comfort fans of teams who don't have high picks. But it's been a yearly refrain for half a decade+ and it's almost never true in retrospect.
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I'm skeptical of Garrett being the elite prospect some make him out to be, but he seems to be a pretty down to earth guy as far as top draft picks go

He's definitely someone who you don't need to have any character concerns with.

I'm pretty sure he'll turn out well

-Sig made by BenderRodriguez

2016 Adopt a Patriot: LeGarrette Blount
2015 Adopt a Patriot: James White

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Chimdi is Love. Chekwa is Life.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: