Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 NFL Draft Thread & Cardinal Pick Predictions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahero060

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: 2017 NFL Draft Thread & Cardinal Pick Predictions Reply with quote

Its the night of the draft and since there is no thread yet dedicated to draft discussion I thought I might as well start one.

Mayock just released his mock draft and he had the Cardinals picking CB Marlon Humphrey from Alabama at #13 AND trading back into the first round at pick #32 for Texas Tech QB Pat Mahomes. While that would likely costly for the Cards to trade back into the 1st, that would truly be a nice set of picks for the first day.

Any thoughts on other potential targets for the Cards in the 1st round? Will the Browns select Myles Garrett 1st overall and Mitch "I only started 13 games in college" Trubisky with their other pick? Any and all draft topics are open for discussion!
ahero060

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with the 13th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Haasan Reddick, Linebacker form the Temple University.

He is compared to Ryan Shazier on NFL.com and ran quite well in the 40 @ 4.52 seconds.

Any thoughts on the pick. Will he slide in well to the current Arizona roster or will he have to sit to learn the system?
ahero060

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished listening to the live press conference by Bruce Arians and Steve Keim.

Arians and Keim praised Reddick for his versatility, claiming that he is capable of switching and playing many positions on defense. Arians claimed he would immediately receive some playing time on the nickle defense if he continues to play at the speed they have observed on tape (I'll believe it when I see it).

Reddick dominated the senior bowl at multiple positions accoriding to Keim. Arians compared Reddick to Von Miller, although a bit smaller.

I'll take Keim and Arians' praises with a grain of salt. However, it does appear that Reddick is a fast and versatile player. I just hope he can pick up the defense quickly and contribute.
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare offseason continues Brick wall

Curious to see how we plan to use him, and if he's effective at it. I have concerns about both. Not something I'd like to be saying about a top-15 pick, especially at a position(whether its inside or off the edge) not near the top my concerns.

Guess Arians wants his Temple guys, probably going to go for another VT QB too, right? Rolling Eyes
ahero060

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cards_FTW wrote:
Nightmare offseason continues Brick wall

Curious to see how we plan to use him, and if he's effective at it. I have concerns about both. Not something I'd like to be saying about a top-15 pick, especially at a position(whether its inside or off the edge) not near the top my concerns.

Guess Arians wants his Temple guys, probably going to go for another VT QB too, right? Rolling Eyes

I want to believe that Arians' connection did not play a role into drafting Reddick, but Bruce certainly loves scouting teams he has past experiences with. I doubt the Cards even considering drafting Jerod Evans (Virginia Tech QB) considering his max ceiling is nothing more than a back-up.

What I find interesting from the 1st day is that both KC and Houston traded up to 10 and 12, respectively, to trade for a QB of the future. Did these teams have an inkling that Arizona would have drafted either Mahomes or Watson if they were sitting at 13? Would either of those QBs been a better pick instead of Riddick?

Personally, I would have preferred Malik Hooker at 13 to strengthen the defensive backfield. The Cards may regret passing on him, but this draft class is deep at cornerback and their are definitely some worthwhile prospects at safety that could be snagged later on.

Any thoughts on who the Cards target for the 2nd round? If Forest Lamp is still around at #45 I would jump on that immediately. I have no clue as to who Arizona is targeting as a QB prospect, but I have a feeling we won't find out until day 3.
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone want to do a quick depth chart for us right now? Haven't been following to closely. Safety, CB or guard would work here in R2.

Also I don't really judge these prospects too harshly one way or the other. I remember when Shaq Riddick was more intriguing to people than Golden.

El ramster on the sig
ahero060

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arizona Cardinals 2017 Depth Chart (From Ourlad's NFL scouting services)

Offense:

QB - Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, Zac Dysert
RB - David Johnson, Andre Ellington, Kerwynn Williams, Elijhaa Penny
WR - Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown, JJ Nelson, Brittan Golden, Jaron Brown, Marquis Bundy, Jeremy Ross, Aaron Dobson, Marvin Hall, Chris Hubert
TE - Jermaine Gresham, Troy Niklas, Ifeanyi Momah, Hakeem Valles
OT - Jared Valdheer, DJ Humphries, John Wetzel, Ulrick John, Givens Price
OG- Mike Iupati, Cole Toner, Evan Boehm, Kaleb Johnson, Daniel Munyer
C - AQ Shipley

Defense:

DL: Corey Peters, Frostee Rucker, Rodney Gunter, Josh Mauro, Ed Stinson, Xavier Williams, Pierre Olsen
OLB: Chandler Jones, Markus Golden, Kareem Martin, Jarvis Jones, Alani Fua, Nordly Capi
ILB: Karlos Dansby, Haason Reddick, Zaviar Gooden, (Daryl Washington?)
$LB: Deone Bucannon, Gabe Martin, Scooby Wright
CB: Patrick Peterson, Brandon Williams, Justin Bethel, Harlan Miller, Trevon Hartfield, Brian Dixon, Elie Bouka, Ronald Zamort
S: Tyrann Mathieu, Antoine Bethea, Tyvon Branch, Christian Bryant

Special Teams:

K: Phil Dawson
P: Matt Wile, Richie Leone
LS: Aaron Brewer
ahero060

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRADE by the cardinals.

Trade is as follows:

Cardinals receive:

Pick #36
7th round pick from Chicago

Bears receive:

Pick #45
4th round pick from Arizona
6th round pick from Arizona
2018 4th round pick from Arizona

Forest Lamp is on the board, but the analysts at NFL Network are speculating a QB. Davis Webb (California) or Deshone Kiser (Notre Dame).
ahero060

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with the 36th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Budda Baker, Safety form the University of Washington.

He is compared to Bob Sanders (former Indianapolis Colts safety) on NFL.com and performed well in the 40, 3-cone, and 20 yard shuttle at the combine. Described as, "Undersized free safety with the heart of a linebacker." Analysts on NFL Network were commenting on his versatility in playing numerous positions in the secondary (i.e. nickle, safety, possibly cornerback).

It appears the Cardinals are emphasizing versatility in their draft picks for 2017. Any thoughts on the picks? Was the trade too much for the potential Baker possesses?
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just let Swearinger walk and traded a bunch of picks to draft a Swearinger clone?

What the hell is our plan at QB? Going to be post-Warner all over again. Guess its not too bad if Arians is leaving with Palmer though, wouldn't want to strap the next HC to a QB already entrenched.
ahero060

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 3rd round the Cardinals made the following trade:

Cardinals received:

Pick #98 from the Panthers
Pick #115 from the Panthers

Carolina received:

Pick #77 from the Cardinals

Arizona managed to regain a 4th round draft pick after including their allotted 4th round pick in the jump up to select Budda Baker.

And with the 98th selection in the 2017 NFL draft, the Arizona Cardinals selected Chad Williams, WR from Grambling St.

Williams is 6'1 and ran the 40 at his pro-day workout in the low 4.40s. He notably torched the University of Arizona in a 2016 match-up where he caught 13 balls for 153 yards. He flashed his skill at the Senior Bowl in practice, routinely making tough catches over or around defenders.

Williams was suspended for one game during his senior season. He was arrested for possession of marijuana and a firearm along with two other men. Charges were later dropped. In a live press conference following Day 2 selections, Arians and Keim stated that they were not worried about his off-the-field engagements. They saw his arrest as "wrong place at the wrong time" situation.

I was excited to see the Cardinals trade down to restore a 4th round pick to their collection for 2017. Arizona did need another WR to fill the loss of Michael Floyd and the impending retirement of Larry Fitzgerald. 3rd round selections have historically gone well for the Cardinals in the past, especially those from small schools. Hopefully Chad Williams can contribute on the field with his large frame and keep clean off the field.

Arizona is due to pick at #115 on Day 3. Are we finally going to see a QB come off the board? Peterson, Kaaya, and Dobbs are still available. Or do we go with a cornerback?
younggun1273

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like these two picks. Budda is a Honey Badger clone and can be used interchangeably with Honey Badger. Reddick brings sideline to sideline speed and reminds me of an in-his-prime Daryl Washington. This team was sorely lacking that play from Minter and Reddick will be devastating with the A Gap blitzes that Washington was stellar at.

For the 3rd round pick, hey there was the receiver that people seem to want addressed. Personally I don't think receiver is that big of a concern, which I realize I may be alone in thinking, but now we got our Larry replacement for the future.

Justo on the sig
ahero060

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with the #115 pick of the 2017 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select Dorian Johnson, guard from the University Pittsburgh.

Johnson was a four year started at Pittsburgh and was an integral part to James Connor's production during his time with the Panthers. His NFL comparison is Jack Mewhort from the Indianapolis Colts. Coming out of highschool Dorian was ranked as the #2 offensive tackle behind Laremy Tunsil. There are concerns about a liver condition that Johnson is dealing with, but it appears this is not worrying Arians or Keim.

I love the pick. I hope Dorian's liver condition is not debilitating. From what I have read he is a stud on the O-line. His play could really complement the Cards current offensive line at the right guard position.
ahero060

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with this #157 pick of 2017 NFL Draft the Arizona Cardinals select Will Holden, offensive tackle from Vanderbilt University.

Nearly 6'8 and predicted to be taken in the 3rd or 4th round by NFL.com. He is a three year started at left tackle. Is stronger than he is fast. Holden is described as a swing tackle in the NFL and has starter potential down the road.

The Cardinals have another 5th round pick at #179. Will a quarterback finally be selected or are they hunting for a cornerback to add to their secondary?
ahero060

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with the #179 pick of the 2017 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select TJ Logan, runningback from University of North Carolina.

Logan was predicted to go in the 5th or 6th round by NFL.com and is compared to current Houston Texans back Akeem Hunt. Logan ran a 4.37 40 at the combine and was an all-purpose back at UNC, scoring touchdowns as a rusher, receiver, and kick returner.

Using a compensatory pick for a player that could potentially solidify his role as a returner for the team is good in my books. As any Cardinals fan knows, the return game has been abysmal these past few years to say the least.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: