Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Official Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Trade in the 1st?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
JPeezy55 wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
With Green's injury history and with how deep the TE group was I'm very surprised the Steelers didn't pick one in this draft.

I'll tell you one thing, if Green isn't ready to go Week 1 and or most the year, someone is going to have ALOT of answering to do

I keep saying it but no one is listening:
THE COACHES AND THE FO LOVE JESSE JAMES!!!!!!

His blocking has become so much better, and while he isn't some deep seam speed freak he is ultra reliable at catching the tough one over the middle and sticking his nose in there for the extra yard or two.

He has very quietly replicated Heath's production almost to a T.

Plus, James is trending upward and Heath was trending down. I think James has a good shot at being a really good TE for us.

Deadpulse on the sig
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28 of the first 100 picks were secondary players.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
DR43

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone was not happy about taking a LS in the sixth round. I wasn't either but I think it might be overblown on our end.

Looking back at our last few six round picks, none are exactly starter quality:
2016: Travis Freeney
2015: Leterrius Walton, Anthony Chickillo

We are getting a guy who will almost certainly make the roster and do what we need him to do. What we're really missing out on is someone who might not even make the roster for a vital position.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
I know everyone was not happy about taking a LS in the sixth round. I wasn't either but I think it might be overblown on our end.

We are getting a guy who will almost certainly make the roster and do what we need him to do. What we're really missing out on is someone who might not even make the roster for a vital position.

Antonio Brown says "Hello". I think you take a risk on getting a guy like that instead of drafting a LS even if the odds are low.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
warfelg

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
DR43 wrote:

Antonio Brown says "Hello". I think you take a risk on getting a guy like that instead of drafting a LS even if the odds are low.

If you feel stronger than not that Greg Warren is gonna retire, getting the best LS in the 6th is better than hoping he picks you in UDFA.

Now if you want to say we could of drafted him in the 7th? Ok, won't argue. But if Warren is gonna retire and we didn't take a LS and he didn't sign here we might have to look at Harrison as the LS again Shocked

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
DR43 wrote:

If you feel stronger than not that Greg Warren is gonna retire, getting the best LS in the 6th is better than hoping he picks you in UDFA.

Now if you want to say we could of drafted him in the 7th? Ok, won't argue. But if Warren is gonna retire and we didn't take a LS and he didn't sign here we might have to look at Harrison as the LS again Shocked

When is LS such a big deal? If you don't get him in the 7th or as a UDFA, pick one up off the streets like everyone else. In the end it is a 6th Rd pick so it's not the end of the world but it does seem a little over the top.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
DR43

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
DR43 wrote:

Who have we drafted in the 6th round since Antonio that has been a huge success? There's Vince Williams and Big Dan. I'm a fan of both but there are also a few guys who aren't even on the team. Chances are we missed out on someone who wasn't particularly significant.

I actually agree with you. We should have went with someone who has a much larger ceiling but putting this into perspective, we probably wouldn't have found a decent starter.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Warren is retiring they have drafted someone who will have 10+ years in the NFL and play in every game ( barring injury). By most metrics that is a huge success at that draft position. Realize it is not a HOF person but how many sure fire starters from day 1 are drafted in the 6th round?

By all accounts Holba is very good at what he does. The Colts released their LS and could have been planning on drafting him in the 7th round.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
DR43

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
If Warren is retiring they have drafted someone who will have 10+ years in the NFL and play in every game ( barring injury). By most metrics that is a huge success at that draft position. Realize it is not a HOF person but how many sure fire starters from day 1 are drafted in the 6th round?

By all accounts Holba is very good at what he does. The Colts released their LS and could have been planning on drafting him in the 7th round.

Excellent points. If it was up to me, I would have drafted Elijah Qualls. But odds are that no matter who the best prospect was, he would not have been a solid starter.

If this was a 7th round pick, would anyone have an issue with it? The majority of 7th round picks do not make the roster. Now, keep in mind we took Holba with the six to the last pick in the seventh round.
DR43

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking over our projected roster for this upcoming season, it seems like we're set at just about every position. It would seem awfully unlikely that anyone drafted at that spot would make the roster. If the Steelers felt this way, why not draft someone who you know is going play day 1?
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I sense much dissatisfaction with this draft class for the Steelers?

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:

Im at the point where I normally am a week after the draft....accepting and just hoping the picks I didnt like pan out.

There wasnt a single pick I loved, and only 2 picks I even liked. It was disappointing. But, Ive accepted it and ready to move on.

Looking at the roster, the main thing that still worries me is we dont have another decent outside corner to put next to Burns.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:

I think that lack of a consensus pick in round 1 and a few other places along the line is playing in.

Add in people feeling that certain things were needs (TE, S) and the teem saw themselves having other needs (WR, LS) and you get people less than happy.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

I think that lack of a consensus pick in round 1 and a few other places along the line is playing in.

Add in people feeling that certain things were needs (TE, S) and the teem saw themselves having other needs (WR, LS) and you get people less than happy.

lulz

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:

I feel about the same as I did during and after the draft: cautiously optimistic. There were definitely some head scratchers in there but I thought adding Watt, JJSS, Sutton, Conner, Allen & Adams makes the team better. Was it ideal? No. There were missed opportunities, especially at CB and possibly S & TE. But I like the overall talent, character, football IQ and heart that we've acquired with these guys.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 49 of 50

Jump to: