Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official 2017 Baltimore Ravens Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Sure, I think Urschel is far better off in a zone scheme too but the Ravens aren't in a position to be giving away offensive linemen either. Signing Mangold wouldn't change that one bit. Depth would still be an issue... if you even think Nick is worth anything.

Then there's Skura and Kublanow. Two undrafted free agents. Not a lot of hope for quality competition there. Jensen doesn't seem to be an option at center with his failed conversion attempt. He's a guard.

Even if the Ravens bring in a bona fide starter at center they're going to want a backup they're comfortable with. John will be in Baltimore this season. For what it's worth here are the free agent centers available according to OverTheCap:

Nick Mangold
Cody Wallace
Ryan Wendell
Tim Barnes
Sam Brenner
Valerian Ume-Ezeoke

Laughing

So no, there is no bona fide starter to bring in anyways. Urschel is currently a better player than everybody on that list even playing out of position and in the wrong scheme to suit his strengths. Including Mangold. Dude is done.

Lofty statement. I won't pretend to be an expert on Mangold but pouring over everything Urschel, the outlook is bleak. If you feel Mangold will be worse then the situation becomes quite negative as I feel the team will inevitably circle back to Nick.

Ideally an UDFA emerges but that seems unlikely. The team's inability to locate and or develop a center is a disturbing trend. We've leaned on FAs at the position for a long time. I'm with you on the guard converts too, not interested in seeing Siragusa attempt to play center for us, especially in his rookie year. It annoys me that we might have to accept mediocrity at the position again Rolling Eyes. Don't need Flacco bailing the pocket again and again and again.

That's not really true.

Zuttah was traded for.
Before that we had Gino Gradkowski, who was bad, but drafted.
Before that we had Matt Birk, who was a FA, but definitely good.
Before that we had Jason Brown, who was both drafted and good.
Before that we had Mike Flynn, who was an UDFA originally (for the Ravens).

Casey Rabach also filled in during Flynn's tenure, but he was also a draftee.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
Why is Mangold done? The guy had, what, one injury and played at a high level until then.

He wasn't that good the past season even before the injury
+
He's 33
+
He's unsigned as of May 4th
+
He's unsigned as of May 4th despite teams knowing that this was going to be one of the worst drafts for offensive linemen in a long time
=
Done.

As Ravens fans I know we would like for there to be a quality option out there that's easily available, but that's not the case. If Mangold is brought in it will be more for his veteran presence at center more than his actual contributions on the field. And Baltimore already has Yanda, so I'm not sure how much another interior offensive line voice in the locker room would help. Marshal is the leader both on and off the field.
edmund_jags

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did hear somewhere that a potential reason some vets may remain unsigned at this point is that, i believe it's may 5th, is the date where they won't count against this year's FA signings and thus impact comp picks for 2018.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmund_jags wrote:
i did hear somewhere that a potential reason some vets may remain unsigned at this point is that, i believe it's may 5th, is the date where they won't count against this year's FA signings and thus impact comp picks for 2018.

Mangold wouldn't count against the compensatory formula anyways since the Jets cut him.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
DreamKid wrote:

Ideally an UDFA emerges but that seems unlikely. The team's inability to locate and or develop a center is a disturbing trend. We've leaned on FAs at the position for a long time. I'm with you on the guard converts too, not interested in seeing Siragusa attempt to play center for us, especially in his rookie year. It annoys me that we might have to accept mediocrity at the position again Rolling Eyes. Don't need Flacco bailing the pocket again and again and again.

That's not really true.

Zuttah was traded for.
Before that we had Gino Gradkowski, who was bad, but drafted.
Before that we had Matt Birk, who was a FA, but definitely good.
Before that we had Jason Brown, who was both drafted and good.
Before that we had Mike Flynn, who was an UDFA originally (for the Ravens).

Casey Rabach also filled in during Flynn's tenure, but he was also a draftee.

I thought it was kind of implied that I meant leaned on for quality or serviceable play. Not that chronologically we've had nothing but FAs at the position. If someone said "The Ravens have leaned on FA WRs for a long time", you would assume they were talking about us needed to acquire quality play from the position outside the organization, Mason, Boldin( IK Trade), Jacoby, Steve Smith etc. Also I'm not sure what you consider a long time, but Jason Brown was drafted 12 years ago and hasn't been with the team for nine.

A little Casey Ryback for ya-

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like having a 5th linebacker out there with Marlon roaming. As a reminder he's only 20 and is still imposing his physicality on guys in a dominating way. That time it just happened to be Fournette.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
It's like having a 5th linebacker out there with Marlon roaming. As a reminder he's only 20 and is still imposing his physicality on guys in a dominating way. That time it just happened to be Fournette.

Yep, he has linebacker skills out there in man coverage.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
DreamKid wrote:

I bet he'll be one of your all time favorite Raven's Rookie by the end of the season. He'll knock some receiver out then bring it to the house and everyone will flip on him. You'll be taking semi-erotic pictures in his jersey by season's end and we'll have to stage an intervention when you start "Humprey's Horde" a controversial fan faction in M&T Bank Stadium.

Why are you even worried about Marlon's cover skills? Anyone gets by him and ol Tony Jefferson will just fly back there and pick it off dude. Just chiiiiiillllll Cool. 16-0 brotha it's coming.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
DreamKid wrote:

I bet he'll be one of your all time favorite Raven's Rookie by the end of the season. He'll knock some receiver out then bring it to the house and everyone will flip on him. You'll be taking semi-erotic pictures in his jersey by season's end and we'll have to stage an intervention when you start "Humprey's Horde" a controversial fan faction in M&T Bank Stadium.

Why are you even worried about Marlon's cover skills? Anyone gets by him and ol Tony Jefferson will just fly back there and pick it off dude. Just chiiiiiillllll Cool. 16-0 brotha it's coming.

I would hope it's Weddle over the top. Or Webb.
Danand

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
DreamKid wrote:

Despite the lulz themed post, I think there are legitimate concerns about his coverage skills. Just as well as we can see his talents flourish this year, we could equally see a lot of Frank the Tank gif's. Ofc he can improve, but that could be said about almost every prospect, and its not always how that works. Tim Williams could come in an develop into a fantastic edge setter and run defender while still being able to rush the quarterback - the chances of that are just slim.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
DreamKid wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
DreamKid wrote:

Despite the lulz themed post, I think there are legitimate concerns about his coverage skills. Just as well as we can see his talents flourish this year, we could equally see a lot of Frank the Tank gif's. Ofc he can improve, but that could be said about almost every prospect, and its not always how that works. Tim Williams could come in an develop into a fantastic edge setter and run defender while still being able to rush the quarterback - the chances of that are just slim.

I think the main reason for hope with Humphrey is that he's only 20 years old, and has plenty of time to keep developing. Few players come into the league fully formed and ready to do it all. It's up to the Ravens coaches to identify Humphrey's weaknesses and work with him to overcome them.

Williams is older, he has had more time to work on the weaknesses in his game, but either hasn't done so, or hasn't been able to. The Ravens may be able to help him become a more rounded player too, if they work with him.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many on here, I wasnt to thrilled with the Humphrey pick initially, but the more I look into him, I feel like he will be a great player for us. He has NFL Pedigree, played in the SEC for 3 years against top talent, and is a tough phyiscal Cmac type of Cb. Sports science ( I know I know) did a piece on him and apparently he has the same 20 yd time as John Ross. So he definately has speed to cover guys. Lets just hope he can learn to track the ball better, but I think that will come with experience. Luckily he wont be thrown to the wolves until Jimmy is hurt, which hopefully is post bye.
paraven

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Jersey-Numbers-Assigned-To-Ravens-Rookie-Class/80e2b1c3-0990-4b27-866e-a4a7a85cac94

Rookie numbers assigned. Im surprised non of the OLBs took a # in the 90's.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Officially-Sign-15-Undrafted-Rookie-Free-Agents/a632b33c-26ed-4b7f-99cf-eedf3d5a756f

Quote:
P Kenny Allen, Michigan
WR Quincy Adeboyejo, Mississippi
WR C.J. Board, Tennessee-Chattanooga
ILB Bam Bradley, Pittsburgh
DE Omarius Bryant, Western Kentucky
CB Carlos Davis, Mississippi
S Daniel Henry, New Mexico
C Brandon Kublanow, Georgia
RB Taquan MIzzell, Virginia
FB Ricky Ortiz, Oregon State
WR Tim Patrick, Utah
LB Donald Payne, Stetson
DE Patrick Ricard, Maine
OG Maurquice Shakir, Middle Tennessee State
QB Zach Terrell, Western Michigan
WR Tim White, Arizona State

Donald Payne, Bobby Pujol, and Andrew Wylie being the guys not listed that were thought to have signed. They might have gotten tryout offers instead. For what it's worth Hensley said that the latter two did sign but who knows if he's correct.

The Ravens also signed Humphrey, Bowser, Siragusa, Eluemunor, and Clark to their rookie contracts. Only Wormley and Williams remain.

EDIT: Donald Payne was added to the list. As a linebacker. Looks like they might be doing the same thing with him that they did with Onwuasor. Which is good for his chances of making the team. At ILB the only real guarantees to make the roster are Mosley and Correa. I'd like to think Onwuasor will be there too but other than those three... nothing. Who knows what the team thinks of Lamar Louis.
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scouting reports on UDFA WR, for your convenience:

WR Quincy Adeboyejo, Mississippi
6'3" 197lbs 31,3/4" arms 9,3/8" hands

Quote:
OVERVIEW
Adeboyejo (add-ah-BOY-joe) was one of the top 50 recruits from Texas coming to Oxford for 2013. He got on the field pretty quickly as a freshman, playing in every game and starting twice (7-81, one touchdown on the year). His role grew as a sophomore, catching 26 passes for 313 yards and two scores in 13 games (five starts). Adeboyejo accumulated comparable numbers in his junior (38-604, seven TD) and senior (35-456, one TD) years, starting 20 games between the two seasons but never really being the primary target.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Height and speed are appealing. Operated outside and from the slot at Ole Miss. Has access to another gear. On go routes, uses basic head nods and jab steps to create hesitation in defensive backs before racing past them. Has been able to get over the top of most defenders he's faced. Coaches compliment his on-field intelligence. Three-time honor roll student off the field. Combination of quick feet and long strides provide opportunities for big catch-and-run plays on the next level.

WEAKNESSES
Hands are inconsistent. Will try to cradle contested jump balls rather than snatching. Play strength is below par. Doesn't take much of a jam to redirect him in his routes. Has to learn to stack defensive backs and maintain position once he's on top of them vertically. Routes were mostly basic and lacking in technique. Ball tracking a work in progress. Lacks suddenness to operate as typical NFL slot receiver. Will need time to develop skill-set on next level.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 6-7

BOTTOM LINE
With a frame that should be able to add more muscle, Adeboyejo could be considered a Day 3 height-weight-speed flyer based on his ability to attack down the field. He is raw and is currently lacking the skill level needed to compete for NFL playing time, but has intriguing potential as a field stretcher or big vertical slot receiver.

WR C.J. Board, Tennessee-Chattanooga
6'2" 180lbs

No detailed profile immediately available

WR Tim Patrick, Utah
6'5" 210 lbs

Quote:
ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Offers up a quality ratio of size, speed and quickness. Long-strider who can eat into cushion on vertical routes. Plays with consistent level of confidence. Showed off his competitive nature and held his own against four cornerbacks who should go in the first two days in Kevin King, Sidney Jones (Washington), Adoree Jackson (USC) and Chidobe Awuzie (Colorado). Better-than-expected play strength and quality hand fighting help him clear press coverage. Works to stack corners when he gets on top of them. Impressive catch radius extends in all directions outside of his frame. Able to finish catches with corners draped on top of him. Brings some attitude to the field as a blocker and can be effective in that capacity.

WEAKNESSES
He's been a factory of injuries over his three seasons at Utah, missing 17 games. Saw limited route tree and was primarily a vertical threat with slants mixed in. Routes lack smoothness. Will need working setting up his breaks and stems. Tape speed doesn't always match his timed speed (4.47). Needs runway to build-up his speed. Struggled to find necessary vertical separation to open throwing windows against talented trail coverage from Kevin King and Sidney Jones. Shows inconsistent focus when working over the middle leading to some drops. Defaults to body catching.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 6-7

BOTTOM LINE
Patrick is a size-speed prospect with vertical ability and above average play strength who plays with a competitive spirit. Utah asked him to get deep and make contested catches underneath so he will have to prove that can operate on the intermediate level. Durability concerns could cause him to fall out of the draft. Patrick's size, tape and workout give him a shot to make the back end of an NFL roster in the future.

WR Tim White, Arizona State
5'11" 175lbs

Quote:
OVERVIEW
Despite growing up in a difficult family situation, White excelled in football and track in high school – and carried forward that excellence in college. He started his career at College of the Canyons, earning first-team all-California junior college notice in 2014 (55-667, eight TD receiving, 28 yards per kick return). White also broke the CC long jump record at a shade under 24 feet. In his first year with the Sun Devils, he averaged 27 yards per kickoff return and set the ASU record for kick return yardage (972). White also caught eight touchdown passes (57 catches, 633 yards in total), including two against West Virginia in the Cactus Bowl. His numbers were down slightly in 2016 (56-713, two TD; 21.5 yards per kick return), but the talent was still evident to scouts. White also participated in track and field in Tempe, placing fourth in the triple jump in the NCAA championships. He attempted to make the Rio Olympic team in that event, as well.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Collegiate triple-jumper with good speed and great explosiveness. Plays fast when attacking down the field. Early accelerator off the line of scrimmage and runs with a smooth gait. Has ability to hit second gear and climb over cornerback. Tape shows a quality ball tracker able to adjust his route and body to the throw. Has unusually large hands for his size. Bouncy feet help trigger quick escapes when challenged by press corners. Operates with good foot quickness in and out of his breaks with a whip route that can put cornerbacks in a trailing position. Talented return man with two years of experience as both a kick and punt returner at Arizona State.

WEAKNESSES
Frame is a little lanky and lacking desired play strength. Scouts question his ability to secure throws in the noise over the middle. Tabbed with 11 drops over the last two seasons. Utilized more on first and third levels. Lacks experience of complex, intermediate routes. Utilized as catch-and-run option, but was unable to fight through arm tackles consistently enough with the ball in his hands. Doesn't appear to have sudden, lateral burst to get away from coverage and hit the home run on punt returns.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 7-PFA

BOTTOM LINE
White is a slot wide receiver with the vertical speed and ball skills to occasionally push out wide and challenge down the field. He could use more play strength and will almost assuredly get challenged by a more physical brand of cornerback than he saw in at Arizona State. While his return ability gives his draft stock a bump, his tape also shows a measure of natural talent as a receiver who can create some separation. If he finds the right team fit, White could carve out a role as a fourth or fifth receiver and return man.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28

Jump to: