You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official 2017 Baltimore Ravens Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drd23

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we have the cap space to accommodate any of those players except Matthews though
paraven

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="drd23"]I don't think we have the cap space to accommodate any of those players except Matthews though[/quote

Matthews would be the only guy id be interested in. I feel he has the most potential and compliments our speed guys well. I actually think our offense will be better then last year. I know everyone says SSS retiring was a big loss, but he was a shell of himself last year coming off the Achilles injury, and then having the ankle injury. Perriman should be better, and Wallace is coming off 1000 Yard season. Im concerned with the O line, but if Lewis goes to RT and one of the rookies steps up and plays well at RG we will be ok.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like Watkins the most. But Hurns would be my next favorite.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really see the Ravens trading for any of those guys. I think either the financial or draft pick prices would be too high. I'd love to see Allen Hurns as a Raven, but I just don't think there's much chance of it. The most I could see them going for would be a Chris Givens style trade, where they try to find value in someone that another team simply isn't interested in keeping.

But I don't really see how a guy like that would be better than what they already have. Chris Moore, Chris Matthews, Michael Campanaro and Keenan Reynolds all deserve to earn a place on the roster, and one or two of them might surprise us.

Wallace and Perriman as starters intrigues me, because I want to see what Perriman does when he's a go-to guy. We've only really seen him as a no.3 WR, at best, so far.

I don't know, I think there's enough offensive talent to put something half decent together, as long as the O-line is good. The TEs can all catch, and flooding the field with them in the red zone seems like a decent tactic. Can't cover Pitta, Gilmore, Waller and Watson/Williams/Boyle all at the same time. Woodhead is going to be a reliable short option.

If the O-line isn't significantly better than last year, then it won't really matter if the Ravens had Watkins, Hurns and Decker.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
I don't think we have the cap space to accommodate any of those players except Matthews though

Yeah, cap space is an issue. Baltimore is going to have very little left after the rookie and UDFA classes are signed. Watson and Arrington could be cut if/when healthy enough to do so but I doubt the team would want to use most of that to acquire a wide receiver. They always leave a bit for emergencies later on. Like having a ton of injuries and needed to pay guys on the roster and IR.

For what it's worth I'm agreeing with Mancunian on this one. The team is going to head into the season with something like this:

Wallace / Perriman / Moore / Campanaro

I believe those four are basically guaranteed roster spots at this point. If the Ravens would have drafted a couple receivers Campanaro might have been questionable but at this point he needs to be kept around. We can only hope his healthy finally holds up for one season.

And then you have these guys who are fighting for a 5th and maybe 6th spot:

Reynolds / Matthews / Mayle / Bell

Keenan might have a decent chance at sticking around. The team apparently likes him and him not doing anything last season isn't a huge negative since he was transitioning to wide receiver. Chris is a special teams guy that could stick. Same with Kenny, although he's only a returner and who knows that direction the team wants to go in there. Vince is a wildcard. Don't know much about him.

With that said I do think Baltimore will make a token attempt at signing a veteran to a cheap deal. Vincent Jackson and Michael Floyd make the most sense since they are bigger and play on the outside. The team only has one guy with size and that's Perriman. But Victor Cruz and Stevie Johnson would surprise either if they like them as overall better players.

So assuming something all that happens the Ravens should head into the season with this at wide receiver:

Wallace / Perriman / Moore / Campanaro / Jackson / Reynolds

Not ideal, but there is some upside. That's more worth a gamble at this point than making a desperate trade for another receiver and all the other cap implications that would entail. I think going all-in on offense for the draft next year is the better move for the team going forward.

What would really help out is if Mornhinweg split out the tight ends in the slot or even on the outside on a consistent basis. The Ravens have players who could easily do that. Williams and Waller in particular are more than athletic enough to make a difference in space. Pitta can go into the slot fairly easily too with another guy at the in-line spot. Most likely Gillmore, maybe Boyle. If that's the plan and it happens I'm actually really intrigued with what the passing game could look like. Still would have been nice to get a bona fide fixture on the outside but none of those three guys fell to 16. This is contingent on Marty getting the tight ends more involved though. As as well all know smart things and Ravens' coordinators doing them are generally mutually exclusive events.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not holding my breath for a signing/trade that drastically changes things (though a trade for Jordan Matthews is highly intriguing) but let's be real, our wide receiving corps is going to be terrible. Even if Perriman makes progress with more targets we don't have any reliable chain-movers or receivers we can lean on in the intermediate game/middle of the field. We're going to see ten thousand 2-yard dumpoffs to Woodhead and Pitta next season. Banking on Chris Moore to become more than a JAG or Camp to stay healthy feels like a fool's errand.

That said, I don't think a 3rd or 4th round token WR pick or whatever would have necessarily changed that in a big way, either. I'm willfully ignorant around basically everything NFL draft related but in getting up to speed on the guys we did take I'm okay with the direction we went in and super stoked to see us go after some explosive/athletic pass rushers because lord knows we needed it.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I'm not holding my breath for a signing/trade that drastically changes things (though a trade for Jordan Matthews is highly intriguing) but let's be real, our wide receiving corps is going to be terrible. Even if Perriman makes progress with more targets we don't have any reliable chain-movers or receivers we can lean on in the intermediate game/middle of the field. We're going to see ten thousand 2-yard dumpoffs to Woodhead and Pitta next season. Banking on Chris Moore to become more than a JAG or Camp to stay healthy feels like a fool's errand.

I think most of it depends on Flacco. The wide receiver group isn't going to be great, but could be serviceable. If we see the same Joe as last season it wouldn't matter who's out there catching passes though. Baltimore could have had four prime Megatrons and it wouldn't have mattered. Flacco was that bad. A lot of it had to do with the line being so bad and getting him pressured/hit early and often but he was off on passes a lot too.

As long Joe and the line are better the passing game should be alright. Stanley / Siragusa / Not Zuttah / Yanda / Lewis should be an improvement overall. Especially with better coaching now that Castillo is out. As for Flacco... who knows. He is what he is at this point but I don't think (hope) what he was last season is what he is. If that makes sense. Baltimore doesn't need a stud wide receiver added to be better in the passing game. Well, the bar is set pretty low for that but it's still true. They just need to shore up the other facets of the offense so Joe actually has a chance. Last season the passing game was basically over before the snap happened and it wasn't because the receivers were so bad.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be the list of undrafted free agents:

Zach Terrell QB

Taquan Mizzell RB

Ricky Ortiz FB/TE

Quincy Adeboyejo WR
C.J. Board WR
Tim Patrick WR
Tim White WR
Theron Wilson WR (tryout)

Tyler Cameron TE (tryout)

Brandon Kublanow OL
Maurquice Shakir OL
Andrew Wylie OL
Derrick Nelson OL (tryout)

Omarius Bryant DL
Pat Ricard DL

Bam Bradley LB

Carlos Davis CB

Daniel Henry S
Donald Payne S (tryout)

Bobby Puyol K

Kenny Allen P

That would be 17 signed which fits since the Ravens have 73 players under contract, tendered, or drafted already on the roster. Then the 4 tryout guys. No flashy names but those usually aren't the ones who make the team as undrafted free agents anyways. James Hurst is the only one I can think of and we all wish that didn't happen.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official. Buffalo declined Sammy Watkins option.

The Ravens are going to have to throw big money to someone at WR. Is it Perriman? Wallace is most likely gone after this season. No one else on the roster looks even remotely close to becoming anything more than depth.

I'd take the chance at Watkins. As long as our FO is staying in tack, we seem doomed of ever getting a pure #1 WR. I don't think anyone can disagree that Watkins is that. His problem has been health. I think we should be all over him this offseason, if not finding away to trade for him now. He is a special talent that would help this team right away.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:

The Ravens are going to have to throw big money to someone at WR. Is it Perriman? Wallace is most likely gone after this season. No one else on the roster looks even remotely close to becoming anything more than depth.

I'd take the chance at Watkins. As long as our FO is staying in tack, we seem doomed of ever getting a pure #1 WR. I don't think anyone can disagree that Watkins is that. His problem has been health. I think we should be all over him this offseason, if not finding away to trade for him now. He is a special talent that would help this team right away.

I think an argument can be made pretty easily that Watkins isn't a pure #1. Because he's not. Sammy is good and better than what the Ravens have currently but not what you would ideally like out of your top receiving option. He was overdrafted and I think a lot of people are still feeding off of his hype as a prospect out of Clemson.

Health and durability is a pretty big deal too. Especially for the Ravens. They absolutely cannot invest a ton in another player on the roster who would be relied on so much. This team has and has had too many other guys like that. When they go down, and they will, it kills the product on the field.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20170429/stetsons-donald-payne-signs-with-ravens-as-undrafted-free-agent

Payne said he got a contract not a tryout from the Ravens.

Count him in among my early favorites. It's an intriguing group. Ricky Ortiz might be my favorite from the whole group, interesting story, more interesting skill set. He has massive hands and would step right into Juice's role, on special teams as well. I would assume Boyle is the early favorite for our H-Back spot but his stupidity is aggravating, and he can't be relied on.

The team is returning to contention form and the guys on offense who keep popping and getting suspended should consider their days numbered if it continues. The defense is nearly filled out and next year looks to be an offense overload draft and offseason. Players who aren't able to contribute to a ready to win club are more than expendable.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:

Who is the last team to win the Super Bowl with a true #1? The closest I can think of is Gronkowski for the Pats and that's an iffy one. The inability to locate an All-Pro wideout has not crippled our franchise and it doesn't need to be this Tolkien like quest for us. We were one pick away from selecting Dez, and we did develop Torrey quite a distance from what he was when drafted. Teams miss on later round WOs all the time it's a volatile and difficult position. There isn't a team in the league who would prefer to consistently hit on receivers instead of the other positions we dominate at unearthing gems at. The narrative is overblown and the idea overrated.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreamKid wrote:
KiddKillah wrote:

Who is the last team to win the Super Bowl with a true #1? The closest I can think of is Gronkowski for the Pats and that's an iffy one. The inability to locate an All-Pro wideout has not crippled our franchise and it doesn't need to be this Tolkien like quest for us. We were one pick away from selecting Dez, and we did develop Torrey quite a distance from what he was when drafted. Teams miss on later round WOs all the time it's a volatile and difficult position. There isn't a team in the league who would prefer to consistently hit on receivers instead of the other positions we dominate at unearthing gems at. The narrative is overblown and the idea overrated.

To be fair, Falcons SHOULD have won this past year, due in large part to their #1 WR, were it not for silly coaching decisions and Brady pulling off the comeback of a lifetime. Razz

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
For years the argument has been, mostly, Peyton V Joe V Brady as the GOAT QB.

Flacco?
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
DreamKid wrote:
KiddKillah wrote:

To be fair, Falcons SHOULD have won this past year, due in large part to their #1 WR, were it not for silly coaching decisions and Brady pulling off the comeback of a lifetime. Razz

Demaryius Thomas is a #1.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't view Julio making the traditionally insane SB catch against the Pats to partially delay the Patriots inevitable win as all that special. I think that was his only catch of the half and his failure to uncover quickly the rest of the game resulted in multiple sacks. Also if you take issue with the play calling, Julio's presence and perceived value/impact/ability no doubt influenced it. They weren't running the ball effectively down the stretch and they viewed him and the pass as their best option to seal the game, clock be damned. Similar deal with our SB win, they knew Gore would get stuffed so what did they try? Ask 49er fans how their #1 worked out for em when Jimmy puts hands on him. Whoever the delayer of the inevitable was that knocked out the lights in the stadium did more for the 49ers that night.

I'll absolutely concede that Demaryius can be considered a #1, blanked on him with ol noodle arm leading the charge that year. It's kind of my point though, because the rest of the Broncos and namely their defense was so filled out they didn't need a #1. It was a luxury, not a necessity and when they were all offense they got slaughtered in 48.

If we find a #1 great and I was big on us obtaining Corey Davis, but adding a #1 hasn't been and will never be vital to contention for this franchise. The Patriots won by removing #1 options from dependent offenses all year, while bombarding teams with their cohesive, specialized, versatile and fluid core.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 24 of 28

Jump to: