You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 New Orleans Saints Draft Talk:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HATCHBOY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Pro Football Focus Scouting Report: Position Rank 14 Reply with quote

Name: Trey Hendrickson

School: Florida Atlantic

Position: Edge defender (4-3 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker)

Stats to know: Highest pass-rushing productivity in the nation at 20.5.

What he does best:

Exceptional burst off the line of scrimmage. Challenges the edge routinely and already adept at turning speed into power.
Kicked inside at times in obvious pass-rushing situations and was proficient beating guards as well.
Still incredibly raw with a good deal of coachable issues in his game.
Makes up for some length concerns with an exceptional long arm move. Pairs well with his explosiveness to help him win the edge.
Doesn’t keep going back to the same moves. Keeps offensive tackles on edge with an array of maneuvers.
Nice little inside swim move with more than enough agility to pull it off in the league.
Biggest concern:

Sold out to rush the passer. Playing the run was an afterthought for him. Might be forced into designated pass rusher role early on until he learns how to play run.
Has a bunch of wasted reps as a pass-rusher. Had an immense physical advantage against many of the tackles he faced, but had no plan of attack often.
Unimpressive spin move that he often tips far too early.
Level of competition is very much a concern. Some tackles he faced could barely move. Was just alright at the East-West Shrine game..
Player comparison: Brooks Reed, Atlanta Falcons

Reed and Hendrickson are incredibly similar as pass-rushers right down to their overused and rarely effective spin move. Hendrickson has a bit more explosiveness than Reed, though he’ll likely struggle as a pass-rusher early in his career until he’s coached up to an NFL level.

Bottom line: Pass-rushers outside of the first round don’t tend to have a good track record in the NFL. Usually edge players with NFL athleticism don’t make it out of the first two rounds, but in Hendrickson’s case he might have to wait until Day 3 of the draft. That’s because he’s a good, not great, athlete with almost zero experience against tackles with NFL futures. He of all players in this class could be the rare boon late in the edge class.
HATCHBOY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Pro Football Focus Scouting Report: Position Rank 13 Reply with quote

Name: Alex Anzalone

School: Florida

Position fit: Inside linebacker

Stats to know: Ranked just 247th among FBS ILBs in run-stop percentage.

What he does best:

Shows good agility when changing directions, flipping his hips on coverage drops; this agility played out at the combine, where he put up a 6.88, fourth-best among linebackers.
Times blitzes well and uses his speed to beat blockers to his gap.
Solid size for his position; measured just under 6-foot-3 while weighing 241 pounds at the combine.
Straight-line speed shows up in coverage when he reads assignments correctly, as he is able to stay with tight ends on crossing and downfield routes; ran a 4.63 40 at the combine.
Strong week of practice at the Senior Bowl, grading among the best linebackers.
Biggest concern:

Struggles to disengage from blocks once locked onto; tends to stop his feet on contact and is too easily engulfed by bigger blockers.
Lacks explosive closing burst, which shows up both on blitzes and in coverage.
Tries to simply outrun blockers to the point of attack; rarely uses his hands to protect his frame.
Doesn’t read pulls and lead blocks well and consistently gets sealed out of his gap.
Will stop his feet and miss tackles; ranked 240th among FBS ILBs in tackling efficiency.
Limited coverage experience in Florida; in three seasons gave up completions on 18 of 24 throws into his coverage with one pass breakup and no interceptions.
Needs to improve his strength – too easily moved off his spot by all blockers.
Injuries limited him to only 577 career snaps at Florida.
Player comparison: Jonathan Casillas, New York Giants

Casillas is a solid athlete who struggled to defend the run because of his inability to defeat blockers. He has been able to carve out a long NFL career because of his special teams, which is likely where Anzalone will also need to make his greatest impact (despite very limited college experience).

Bottom line: Each of Anzalone’s last two seasons was cut short due to injury; in 2015 he missed 12 games with a shoulder injury (the same shoulder limited him in 2013 as well), and last season he did not play the final four games due to a broken arm. While he is a good athlete and has the size required to play inside linebacker at the next level, he is too easily sealed and driven off the point of attack by all blocks, and needs to improve his strength in order to better hold up at the NFL level. He flashes the straight-line speed needed to be effective in coverage, but lacks the explosiveness required to break and close effectively when a step late. He will need to make his mark on special teams, but played on Florida’s teams units in just five games between 2014 and 2016.
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue with blue chip players. Are the flashily? No. I prefer to bring in great work ethic and chip on shoulder players than potential sleepers. Not every team is going to hit sleepers. I mean there is a lot of truth to "do your job" than anything.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saint-Anger_13 wrote:
I have no issue with blue chip players. Are the flashily? No. I prefer to bring in great work ethic and chip on shoulder players than potential sleepers. Not every team is going to hit sleepers. I mean there is a lot of truth to "do your job" than anything.

Wouldn't mind seeing Kaaya falling to 6th for us... let him come in and compete with Grayson for the 3rd QB. Saints in spot where taking a flyer on a QB every year makes sense.

WHODAT91FOREVER
tyler735

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please be Zamora or Cannon at WR!
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pick I actually dislike.

DE Al-Quadin Muhammad

Missed 2014 and 2016 because of character issues.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:

DE Al-Quadin Muhammad

one suspension was a fight with his roommate and another was cause he accepted a luxury rental car as a gift.

Red flags sure, but not big ones at all.
Raves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:

DE Al-Quadin Muhammad

one suspension was a fight with his roommate and another was cause he accepted a luxury rental car as a gift.

Red flags sure, but not big ones at all.

Biggest concern is the lack of football experience over the last 3 years. Extremely Raw player with great upside that has flashed brilliance, but will need to be able to play catch-up quickly. Not sure if it will be possible and at best will only be a situational pass-rusher at best, more likely a practice squad guy for this year.
Porter22

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the UDFA front? Only name I've heard is Duval. Really like this addition, could see some playing time next season!
Soccer: Werder Bremen
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I thought you guys would enjoy this, Mike Detiller gave some insights on what other teams thought of certain Saints players drafted:

Kamara:

Quote:
One AFC general manager told me his team tried to trade up into the 3rd round to draft the speedy Volunteer halfback.

“We had to go defense in Round #2 to fill a huge need spot, but when Alvin fell into Round #3 we started making calls,” the AFC general manager said. “We knew other teams were too and we had found a trade partner, but the Saints got him first. We thought he could be a “Jamaal Charles-Kansas City Chiefs” type edge back and receiver. Before the knee injuries settled in with Jamaal he was a really good back and we were willing to part with multiple picks to get Kamara. He’s a great fit for the Saints. It is part of the business you miss out on a player that really can boost an offense quickly in the league and Kamara could have done that with us and he will with New Orleans.”

On Lattimore and Hendrickson:

Quote:
After every NFL draft I try and find out from people in the personnel business their thoughts on picks from the New Orleans Saints. After the draft you get a more truthful version of what other teams really think about picks and I got some thoughts from a Director of College Scouting on a NFC team on cornerback Marshon Lattimore and defensive end Trey Hendrickson.

“Marshon (Lattimore) was our top cornerback by a good margin and he was our 6th ranked overall player. Our regional scout in the Midwest described him as “Aqib Talib without the baggage” and that’s pretty strong. You can see on tape his foot speed, his ability to quickly adjust to the football and he reads and reacts so quickly to a receiver’s route and he interrupts the timing of the pass. Marshon has superb recovery speed and good hands for the interception. The Saints got a really talented guy in Lattimore. The one good thing about Lattimore going to New Orleans is that he will be coached by Aaron Glenn. Aaron was a terrific player in this league and he can translate that well to the young player hitting the league. There will be some adjustment to the NFL with Lattimore because he didn’t play a lot of college football and to be honest teams found out early not to challenge him. I am still of the belief the Saints end up eventually doing a deal for cornerback Malcolm Butler from the Patriots too.”

“I watched a lot of Trey Hendrickson film at Florida Atlantic and got to see him practice at the East-West Shrine game and he reminds me a lot of Connor Barwin when he came out of the University of Cincinnati ,” the NFC director of college scouting said. “Connor and Trey are very similar and their games are both built on initial quickness, the ability to slip a block and they hustle to the ball. Connor has been a good player for both the Houston Texans and the Philadelphia Eagles. Trey has the skills to be that type of player and like Connor he is disruptive. He will be a situational guy early on, but he can certainly help the Saints pass rush and the coaches will love his hustle and desire.”

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: