Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Still want Conley?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you still take him if he were available after Round 1?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
No way!!!
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
It depends on the round
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 20

ninjapirate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:
Poyer actually is a good player, just not for the Eagles.......

As far as Conley, you can't.....unless there is something else definitive that comes out today or tomorrow in his favor, you just can't.

If I remember correctly Collins, came out and said "Don't draft me" so he could go undrafted because he'd 1) get to choose where he went and 2) got a shorter contract.

Conley might do the same thing.

After a certain point in the draft an UDFA might make more money if he is good enough to get a high tender.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with Collins, they actually told teams if hes not drafted in the first round to not take him and let him become a UDFA so he could make the money that he was going to make. That was what Bomani Jones was saying yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
I think with Collins, they actually told teams if hes not drafted in the first round to not take him and let him become a UDFA so he could make the money that he was going to make. That was what Bomani Jones was saying yesterday.

They did say that, but a team still could've taken him and he wasn't gonna sit out a year. He would've played for whoever drafted him. Teams just bought the bluff.

The Rams (I believe?) came really close to selecting him.
TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quote from Collins agent:

Quote:
“We can put it on the record now: We were never going back in the draft,” [agent Rick] Smith says of waiting for the 2016 draft. “If someone had drafted him, we would’ve had a long, long discussion about it, but at the end of the day you can’t go back in the draft. He could get injured, gain weight, or 10 great tackles could come out. Too many risks.”

RollEagles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you saying to take him in the late rounds because that's just a flyer and you can cut him otherwise:

The Eagles have a PR department who would be freaking out about this. Imagine the push back from even drafting someone with a sexual assault accusation hanging over their head.

And then down the road, what if it's proven he did it? Then you picked a guy who was accused of sexual assault and you then had to cut him.

The PR blowback risk is certain in the immediate short term and is also a long term risk.

He's just not worth touching until this thing clears up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollEagles wrote:
Those of you saying to take him in the late rounds because that's just a flyer and you can cut him otherwise:

The Eagles have a PR department who would be freaking out about this. Imagine the push back from even drafting someone with a sexual assault accusation hanging over their head.

And then down the road, what if it's proven he did it? Then you picked a guy who was accused of sexual assault and you then had to cut him.

The PR blowback risk is certain in the immediate short term and is also a long term risk.

there's only a PR risk if you're not prepared for it. There's enough time between the draft and when we have to sign him to make a determination on the accusations. You draft him behind the statement that he's "innocent until proven guilty" and to let the justice system do the deciding. Then once you have enough info you can either say "look at what a great pick we made, all of our research showed us he was a guy of good character and that he would never do something like that" or cutting him and making statements against rape if he is convicted is a very easy way to cut bait.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
nlesthought

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
RollEagles wrote:

there's only a PR risk if you're not prepared for it. There's enough time between the draft and when we have to sign him to make a determination on the accusations. You draft him behind the statement that he's "innocent until proven guilty" and to let the justice system do the deciding. Then once you have enough info you can either say "look at what a great pick we made, all of our research showed us he was a guy of good character and that he would never do something like that" or cutting him and making statements against rape if he is convicted is a very easy way to cut bait.

+1

Your PR team is there to sell tickets and to put the team in a positive light in football matters not criminal proceedings.
Howie/Doug and/or Lurie probably will probably have to release one written statement. Once the team separates itself from the player and the due process then the media focuses its attention on the player and away from the team.
EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with RollEagles... The point I haven't seen yet is that the draft is in Philly.... So, picking Conley would magnify the media response to the point where it overshadows all other picks and potentially displays the draft's host city in a negative light. I just don't see Jeff Laurie signing off on that... Especially if we ALSO draft Mixon or Cook.
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleDeegle wrote:
I agree with RollEagles... The point I haven't seen yet is that the draft is in Philly.... So, picking Conley would magnify the media response to the point where it overshadows all other picks and potentially displays the draft's host city in a negative light. I just don't see Jeff Laurie signing off on that... Especially if we ALSO draft Mixon or Cook.

I don't even think the general public knows that Cook has done anything wrong. Mixon would probably get booed

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

nlesthought

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleDeegle wrote:

1 if the board falls that Cook is there and they decide that so be it. Mixon is a late 1 early 2 (aka day 2) probably before us.

Drafting Conley in round 7 is day 4 or whatever. If they draft Mixon I could see them passing on Conley altogether. If Cook is the pick in round 1, I don't see why round 7 isn't something they can reconsider if he's still there.
EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
EagleDeegle wrote:

1 if the board falls that Cook is there and they decide that so be it. Mixon is a late 1 early 2 (aka day 2) probably before us.

Drafting Conley in round 7 is day 4 or whatever. If they draft Mixon I could see them passing on Conley altogether. If Cook is the pick in round 1, I don't see why round 7 isn't something they can reconsider if he's still there.

Cuz it makes us look like character means nothing at all.
EagleDeegle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With unresolved rape allegations, essentially you're saying "I believe him over her" by drafting him. And if he ACTUALLY did it, you look like a monster.
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleDeegle wrote:
With unresolved rape allegations, essentially you're saying "I believe him over her" by drafting him. And if he ACTUALLY did it, you look like a monster.

By drafting him you are saying you believe all people are innocent until proven guilty and that you believe the justice system will provide truth on the matter. If he ACTUALLY did it you cut him immediately and say that rape is a serious crime and that those charged with rape do not deserve the honor of playing in the Nation Football League.

Its all about wording.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

TheRealMcCoy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
EagleDeegle wrote:

By drafting him you are saying you believe all people are innocent until proven guilty and that you believe the justice system will provide truth on the matter. If he ACTUALLY did it you cut him immediately and say that rape is a serious crime and that those charged with rape do not deserve the honor of playing in the Nation Football League.

Its all about wording.

THIS x 1000000000000000000000000000
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
I'd take him without hesitation if he's still there in RDS 5-7. Unless he is charged by Saturday.

He can be cut at any point if and that's a big IF charges are filed.

This.

Followed by this:

Hockey5djh wrote:

Its all about wording.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: