You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 NFL Draft Thread Pt. 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBears019

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowler1215 wrote:
Is it me, or did this draft seem kind of 'Angelo-esque' to you? 3 of our 5 picks were from small schools, one guy had a broken leg last year. To a degree, it seemed like Pace just pulled a name out of a hat and said 'Thats our pick' In time, these guys could pan out, who knows. MT could be a quality QB for years. As of now, I feel very underwhelmed by our draft. No pass rusher, no CB, a RB and a OG that we didnt need(2 guys from smaller schools) Does Pace know something about these guys we dont, or did he not want to pick players, so he just picked this guy and that guy?

Obviously Pace sees something in them that we don't. What do you mean by not wanting to pick players? That's a rather large part of a GMs job.

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowler1215 wrote:
Is it me, or did this draft seem kind of 'Angelo-esque' to you? 3 of our 5 picks were from small schools, one guy had a broken leg last year. To a degree, it seemed like Pace just pulled a name out of a hat and said 'Thats our pick' In time, these guys could pan out, who knows. MT could be a quality QB for years. As of now, I feel very underwhelmed by our draft. No pass rusher, no CB, a RB and a OG that we didnt need(2 guys from smaller schools) Does Pace know something about these guys we dont, or did he not want to pick players, so he just picked this guy and that guy?

The small school thing was an Angelo staple but Shaheen was a legit 2nd round prospect on most boards. The other two are later picks when taking shots on guys who are longer term projects and specific role fillers tends to happen.

This draft to me really reinforces that Pace feels last year's squad was really decimated by injuries he's counting on not to happen again (at least to that extent), and that the injuries were the main reason we had as many issues as we did last year. He also showed a lot of faith in his prior picks (particularly White, Bullard and the DBs) in the way he ran the draft. He's counting on development there. Assuming he gets at least some of that, the guys he added in this draft should really complement those guys.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picks on paper look worse than they actually are:

1. Trubisky-QB... Obviously people are pretty passionate about debating them... but we took a shot, and Pace and staff all are seemingly very confident about it. I'd add he can redshirt behind Glennon (which was going to be a requirement for any of these guys)

2. Shaheen-TE
Highly rated prospect at a position of huge need, with some unique physical abilities that will require planning around. No one is going to roll a 5-10 Nickel corner on this behemoth.

I'd add this also arguably I think speaks to an offensive philosophy shift, and I'm thinking we end up running out of 2 TE sets a bunch or use Shaheen split out wide as a slot WR as often as he is on the line. So this arguably is also helping our WR depth.

4a. Eddie Jackson-S
Team leader (on Bama no less), ballhawk safety and KR that was probably underrated skill wise because of his leg injury. I have no issues with this pick from a round/value standpoint.

4b. Tarik Cohen-RB
This one I am a bit more skeptical on... I liked Cohen (and Donnel Pumphrey who is an incredibly similar player this year), but I am a bit concerned on the value, as I saw both of them being 5th or later prospects via their size. In addition, I had Pumphrey solidly above Cohen, because Pumphrey did his work against better competition and showed more physicality to his game when he trucked over Obi Melifonwu at the Senior Bowl.... That said, Cohen is shiftier.... and I like the idea of having a guy filling the role I envisioned for McCaffrey where they take a few reps at WR, a few reps at RB, and a few KR reps a game..... Interestingly enough I haven't heard anything about this kid being thought of as a WR or as a KR... which is where I get a bit more concerned, because I think that hybrid-esque role is how he makes his $$ at this level. I fully expect him to be the Summer Camp all hype team recipient, however.... (so sit down, Braverman)

5. Jordan Morgan-G
I'd understand this more if he was intending to play tackle. That being said, Sitton is older and Long is moderately injured. It doesn't look that good on paper, but we coached him at the Senior Bowl, and the staff got a damn good look at him vs some great DL prospects... Clearly they see something worth developing.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pace knows a ton about these guys that we don't.

Just because he didn't draft from a magazine does not mean it was a bad draft.
gah112

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought - all the offensive players drafted by the Bears are great fits in New England's offensive scheme...
IronMike84

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convinced that there's no pleasing Bears fans.

If Pace had drafted Trubisky at 3, the argument would have been that Watson is better.

If he had picked a DB in the second round like everybody wanted, everybody would have liked a different DB better.

If he would have stuck to players from big programs, somebody would have found fault with that.

Everybody's a glass-half-empty miserable bastard that needs to be thoroughly unhappy at all times. And as much as some of you guys are unhappy, people posting on Twitter and Facebook are completely off the deep end.
Epyon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

Everybody's a glass-half-empty miserable bastard that needs to be thoroughly unhappy at all times. And as much as some of you guys are unhappy, people posting on Twitter and Facebook are completely off the deep end.

I'm not unhappy at all... It's a risky draft for Pace, but I think it's being pretty thoroughly underrated as an overall class.

We addressed:

Our QB of the future concern (which is the largest concern you can have)

We improved or TE depth

We improved our RB depth

We arguably improved our WR depth (via Cohen and Shaheen both being able to split out and play from the slot)

We added a late round OL guy who we had thorough scouting on

We added a ball hawking free safety with strong leadership attributes from what is essentially a nearly NFL level defense in college.

We added 2 potential Kick returners

And we did it with only 5 picks.... Haters gonna hate, but this draft isn't nearly as bad as people are acting.
dll2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Browns wanted MT at 12 and Kizer was 2nd choice.

I think the other teams wanted other guys and you could have had MT at 3. But there was no way to know.

I think Chiefs always wanted Mahomes and I think both Cards and Texans wanted Watson first.

Not sure what Jets were thinking.

If I was MT i would rather be a Brown right now. They are loading up.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah112 wrote:
Just a thought - all the offensive players drafted by the Bears are great fits in New England's offensive scheme...

And Stanford's

#HireShaw
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
gah112 wrote:

And Stanford's

#HireShaw
I'm down for that #HireShaw

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:
gah112 wrote:

And Stanford's

#HireShaw
I'm down for that #HireShaw

I think that's a bit of a dream...McDaniels makes a ton of sense tho.
topwop1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Peterman to Buffalo 171st overall. If MT doesn't pan out, Bears fans will forever ponder, "What if?" Rolling Eyes

Not just Bears...all the other teams with QB needs that also passed on him.

I knew the Peterman hype was overblown. He went where he was supposed to go.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had told me the draft would play out

QB
TE
S
RB who can catch
OL

I would have been happy. I am not going to be too made because I do not recognize the names.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point about building an offense like New England is interesting and a little accurate.

It appears that the TE position is going to be focal point. Shaheen is Gronk and Brown/Sims filling the Bennett role.

Cohen will be used like James White out of the backfield and split out. Howard will do the heavy lifting that Bount does.

We have spent 3 off seasons trying to add versatile slot weapons.

And I think Trubisky is a more athletic version of Jimmy G, both are accurate and throw with great anticipation and touch.
TB 1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Bowler1215 wrote:

The small school thing was an Angelo staple but Shaheen was a legit 2nd round prospect on most boards. The other two are later picks when taking shots on guys who are longer term projects and specific role fillers tends to happen.

This draft to me really reinforces that Pace feels last year's squad was really decimated by injuries he's counting on not to happen again (at least to that extent), and that the injuries were the main reason we had as many issues as we did last year. He also showed a lot of faith in his prior picks (particularly White, Bullard and the DBs) in the way he ran the draft. He's counting on development there. Assuming he gets at least some of that, the guys he added in this draft should really complement those guys.

The Bears if healthy are at best a 7-9 team. Pace had no choice but to show faith in past picks because he had only 5 picks and one of which he used on a redshirt QB. He left the DL thin for a 3rd straight year of running the team even if Bullard lives up to being a 3rd round pick. The Bears lose Goldman and they give up 11 yards a rush to poor RB's and the Texans lose J.J. Watt for most of the season and still lead the league in defense. Injuries happen.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 26 of 27

Jump to: