You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FLOODx's One and Only Saints Mock Draft

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLOODx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: FLOODx's One and Only Saints Mock Draft Reply with quote

I'm only going to do our first three picks. Trying to predict anything past the second round is a crapshoot, IMO. Enjoy

11. New Orleans Saints select, Gareon Conley CB, Ohio State

It’s no secret that Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton have the cornerback position listed as one of their top draft needs. Whether or not the Saints decided against signing a starting veteran corner in free agency, or just failed at it is a mystery. One thing is for certain though, and thats that there is a gaping hole at cornerback opposite Delvin Breaux. The Saints went hard after Malcolm Butler, but it seems trade talks have fallen apart between them and the Patriots.
The Saints struck gold with two Ohio State players in last years draft, so they go back for more this time around. Gareon Conley has prototypical size at 6’0” 195 lbs. Conley impressed at the combine when he ran a 4.44 40 yard dash, and displayed fluid movement skills in position drills. Conley has experience in press coverage, but has the versatility to play off the ball, as well. As a former defensive backs coach, I’m sure Dennis Allen would be a huge fan of this pick.

32. New Orleans Saints select, Evan Engram TE, Ole Miss

The Saints are going to have to replace Brandin Cooks’ production. Outside of Michael Thomas and Willie Snead, the Saints receiving corps is nothing special. Brandon Coleman has yet to perform at a consistent level and Ted Ginn is a stop gap deep threat. Coby Fleener showed flashes last season, but didn’t play up to his price tag.
There are rumblings throughout the media that suggest Sean Payton has a “man crush” on Evan Engram. These are the same type of rumors I heard last year regarding Michael Thomas and the Saints. At 6’3” 234 Engram is more of a big receiver than a tight end. Engram blazed the track at the combine in Indianapolis when he clocked a 4.42 in the 40 yard dash. Engram adds size to the Saints receiving corps which will help on throws over the middle and in the redzone.

42. New Orleans Saints select, Derek Rivers DE, Youngstown State

Last season the Saints ranked 27th in the NFL in sacks, 32nd in the NFL in passing defense, and 27th in the NFL in total defense. Trotting out free agent cornerbacks off the street isn’t a recipe for success, but the lack of pass rush generated by the defensive line didn’t help. Nick Fairley is coming off a good year, and rookie Sheldon Rankins looked like he could be a potential future pro bowler. A defensive end that can generate consistent pressure opposite Cam Jordan could turn this defensive line into a top 10 unit.
Derek Rivers ran a 4.61 40 yard dash, jumped 35” in the vertical leap, and posted a 10’ 3” broad jump at 6’4” 250. That lower body explosion combined with his upper body strength makes him a moldable piece of pass rushing clay at the next level. At the collegiate level Rivers abused tackles with violent hands and his relentless motor. In the NFL Rivers is going to have to learn more rush moves. Hopefully new defensive line coach, Ryan Nielsen, can develop talent unlike the Saints’ ex-defensive position coaches.

mike23md on the sig
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TMZ reports that the unnamed prospect accused of sexual assault in Cleveland is Ohio State CB Gareon Conley wp.me/p14QSB-aibC

Well.. so much for that. Really don't want Marlon Humphrey at 11.

mike23md on the sig
tyler735

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be better off going with Derek Barnett, or Haasan Reddick at 11. I'm coming around to Engram at 32 he could be a beast in this offense. Then take best CB available at 42, or trade for Butler
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
Would be better off going with Derek Barnett, or Haasan Reddick at 11. I'm coming around to Engram at 32 he could be a beast in this offense. Then take best CB available at 42, or trade for Butler

Definitely agree with going DE early on now. Just hearing a lot about the Saints interest in Humphrey, and he won't be there at 32.

mike23md on the sig
SWATcha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing the AP signing this morning, I had this strange feeling that Sean P. would go after one of the two top TEs in this draft. Engram at 32 wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we completely ignore our defense and take McCaffery at 11, Ingram at 32.

Then best QB available at 42.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlowe22 wrote:
What if we completely ignore our defense and take McCaffery at 11, Ingram at 32.

Then best QB available at 42.

I'll jump off a bridge.

For real though I won't mind an offense pick IF it's BPA. And by a good margin. Like if McCaffery is clearly the BPA at #11 then I'll support it. Or Engram at 32. Or maybe one of the top QBs falling, whatever it is. But if all 3 of our picks are offense? Plz no. I'd rather just trade down the 2nd time if the BPA is an offensive player.

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FLOODx's One and Only Saints Mock Draft Reply with quote

I have a strange feeling that the Saints will end up lucking into a top defender that happens to fall and that we will see a couple surprising offensive players selected in the top 10.

Players such as Lattimore, Hooker, Allen, Foster all have scenarios where they could fall. If not another option could be trading out of pick 11 if the Browns are still at 12. If no top elite defenders fall and the Saints don't trade the 11th pick I feel in the end they will be deciding between Barnett, Reddick and Humphrey at 11.

I'm higher on Humphrey than most... I view him as a top 20 player but I'd admit that 11 would be a little rich, however his size, speed and physicality is what you need in the NFC South.

WHODAT91FOREVER
Porter22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Engram and Rivers picks. Wouldn't even mind Rivers at #32 if that's the pick to get him. At #11 give me someone else, corner or safety would be fine with me. Conley will likely be off a lot of teams board right now due to those investigations...
Soccer: Werder Bremen
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TMZ reports that the unnamed prospect accused of sexual assault in Cleveland is Ohio State CB Gareon Conley wp.me/p14QSB-aibC
The timing of this is fishy. I wonder if this will cause Conley to drop significantly, like toward #32. You know teams have a microscope on the situation, and per Conley, they have video proving his innocence. As we know, media doesn't make money on fun stories, just on dirty laundry, so they'll mountain this potential mole hill, Conley's future be damned.

McCaffrey at #11
Conley at #32
TE or QB with our 3rd pick
Fill in the blanks after that.

....I know, pipe dream, but it's a thought.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid Iowa wrote:
Quote:
The timing of this is fishy. I wonder if this will cause Conley to drop significantly, like toward #32. You know teams have a microscope on the situation, and per Conley, they have video proving his innocence. As we know, media doesn't make money on fun stories, just on dirty laundry, so they'll mountain this potential mole hill, Conley's future be damned.

McCaffrey at #11
Conley at #32
TE or QB with our 3rd pick
Fill in the blanks after that.

....I know, pipe dream, but it's a thought.

I haven't really followed the QBs in this draft, any of the top 3 guys have a chance of falling that far? Also, what happened to Mahomes? Guy was a midround prospect at first and since I've seen him rise and rise to the point where he's even been mocked to us at 11. What happened there?

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: