You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Raiders Draft Thread 3.0/ Draft Day thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 90, 91, 92  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see it mentioned here but, apparently, Neiron Ball isn't sure to come back. That LB depth chart is scary.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Didn't see it mentioned here but, apparently, Neiron Ball isn't sure to come back. That LB depth chart is scary.
He said Nerion Ball is still rehabbing that can mean anything, but Ive seen instagram videos of ball looking just fine so, I'm sure he will be ready to compete.
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:

it is, seems like reggie and jack both think they can find linebacker in late rounds

-heeney 5th round
-ball 5 round
-james 6th round
-lee 5th round

at least, the base defense will be 4-2-5 instead 3-4 or 4-3, less linebackers on field the better with our depth unlike steelers drafting 4 linebackers in 1st round out of 5 years lol

i'm sure they will finally draft linebacker in 1st round next year after seeing how bad they are on the field
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to add something, reggie is predictable when come to drafting

defensive linemen in 2nd/3rd
offensive linemen in 3rd/4th
linebackers in 5th/6th
Dessie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlieberum1985 wrote:

linebackers in 5th/6th

Watson was a 2nd, Ellis a 4th, Mack was a 1st, but yeah Reggie is predictable Rolling Eyes
SBXISBXVSBXVIII

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:

linebackers in 5th/6th

Watson was a 2nd, Ellis a 4th, Mack was a 1st, but yeah Reggie is predictable Rolling Eyes

Laughing
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:
Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:

linebackers in 5th/6th

Laughing

let compare to last 4 years, shall we?

edwards, ward, vanderdoes dl - 3 years in the row
jackson, feliciano, sharpe ol - 3 out of 4 years
heeney, ball, james, lee lb - 3 years in the row

boom

Last edited by jlieberum1985 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlieberum1985 wrote:
SBXISBXVSBXVIII wrote:
Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:

linebackers in 5th/6th

Laughing

let compare to last 4 years, shall we?

edwards, ward, vanderdoes dl - 2nd/3rd (3 years in the row)
jackson, feliciano, sharpe ol - 3rd/4th (3 out of 4 years)
heeney, ball, james, lee lb - 5th/6th (3 years in the row)

boom
jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patting myself on the back here, but didn't I tell ya'll Reggie doesn't draft LBs early? Add 2016 - a year where we literally had a tackling dummy at both inside linebacker spots - to the docket.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Reggie's credit he filled what everybody here thought were the biggest needs, in the first 5 picks, MLB, S, CB, OT, DT just in a different order from most of us.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich7sena wrote:
Patting myself on the back here, but didn't I tell ya'll Reggie doesn't draft LBs early? Add 2016 - a year where we literally had a tackling dummy at both inside linebacker spots - to the docket.

Yeah seems we only value LBs that can rush the QB early. Mack, and to an extent Calhoun. Sio Moore being the most notable exception. Although he could blitz. I was wondering the same point after the 2nd round. Here's how I analyze the whole thing with some Devil's Advocate:

Round 1:
What if we really liked Jarrad Davis? Then the next best player on our board was Conley?

Round 2:
And in the second, sounds like we both were not high on Cunningham and were really high on Obi. JDR said Obi will help vs the TE (part of LB responsibilities), and there was that tweet saying we heavily considered Obi in the first. I also know it sounds like we liked McMillan a lot too, though sounds like Obi was our BPA or closer to it even if Raekwon was still around.

Round 3:
Duke Riley & the guy from Florida whose name escapes me right now (Reggie doesn't seem afraid of injuries based on history) were picked right before us.

Round 4:
Brown & Walker right there. Must have valued Sharpe higher. Multiple reports saying he fell due to the eye concerns (partially amplified by *sigh* Daniel Jeremiah). Protecting Carr and improving RT are important too. Could be positional value here OR BPA philosophy (Reggie valuing Sharpe as a player more highly than the LBs available). In this scenario due to Devil's Advocate, I have to assume the latter.

Round 5:
We got our guy.
Already supposed to be in line to compete to start.
Does this sound like a Reggie guy or what?
https://twitter.com/E_Geerlings/status/858397469255675904
https://twitter.com/CourtneyRCronin/status/858397781500674048
https://twitter.com/CoachClawson/status/858400479574978561

Started 3 years, team captain, leader

Raiders.com wrote:
Q: What sense did you have during the pre-draft process that the Raiders were interested in you?
Lee: “Until the combine, I really didn’t know about any interest the Raiders had in me. After I did the bench press at the combine, the coach came to me. We talked a little bit, rapped a little bit. Then after the combine up until this point, my agent has been telling me that the Raiders really liked me and were going to try to get me in the draft.”

Was this the plan all along?

3 ways I see this could shake out:

1. Lee was our guy all along and we knew we could wait
2. We waited on LB due to positional value not being high
3. BPA dictated our draft and it lined up like this

I'm inclined to say it was a combo of all 3. Especially 2 and 3. I do agree positional value for LB is not high for Reggie or JDR though. Perhaps they think they can coach guys up. Either way, its a passing league, and we needed to get better there
reddevil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:

Yeah seems we only value LBs that can rush the QB early. Mack, and to an extent Calhoun. Sio Moore being the most notable exception. Although he could blitz. I was wondering the same point after the 2nd round. Here's how I analyze the whole thing with some Devil's Advocate:

Round 1:
What if we really liked Jarrad Davis? Then the next best player on our board was Conley?

Round 2:
And in the second, sounds like we both were not high on Cunningham and were really high on Obi. JDR said Obi will help vs the TE (part of LB responsibilities), and there was that tweet saying we heavily considered Obi in the first. I also know it sounds like we liked McMillan a lot too, though sounds like Obi was our BPA or closer to it even if Raekwon was still around.

Round 3:
Duke Riley & the guy from Florida whose name escapes me right now (Reggie doesn't seem afraid of injuries based on history) were picked right before us.

Round 4:
Brown & Walker right there. Must have valued Sharpe higher. Multiple reports saying he fell due to the eye concerns (partially amplified by *sigh* Daniel Jeremiah). Protecting Carr and improving RT are important too. Could be positional value here OR BPA philosophy (Reggie valuing Sharpe as a player more highly than the LBs available). In this scenario due to Devil's Advocate, I have to assume the latter.

Round 5:
We got our guy.
Already supposed to be in line to compete to start.
Does this sound like a Reggie guy or what?
https://twitter.com/E_Geerlings/status/858397469255675904
https://twitter.com/CourtneyRCronin/status/858397781500674048
https://twitter.com/CoachClawson/status/858400479574978561

Started 3 years, team captain, leader

Raiders.com wrote:
Q: What sense did you have during the pre-draft process that the Raiders were interested in you?
Lee: “Until the combine, I really didn’t know about any interest the Raiders had in me. After I did the bench press at the combine, the coach came to me. We talked a little bit, rapped a little bit. Then after the combine up until this point, my agent has been telling me that the Raiders really liked me and were going to try to get me in the draft.”

Was this the plan all along?

3 ways I see this could shake out:

1. Lee was our guy all along and we knew we could wait
2. We waited on LB due to positional value not being high
3. BPA dictated our draft and it lined up like this

I'm inclined to say it was a combo of all 3. Especially 2 and 3. I do agree positional value for LB is not high for Reggie or JDR though. Perhaps they think they can coach guys up. Either way, its a passing league, and we needed to get better there

Nail hit on head. I just posted something in the Lee thread with a similar theme. Not as good as what you posted though! I think this is pretty much on the money our FO's view of LB and its importance to our team. Hope they're right!
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i don't believe this is about how we value LBs. Conley was viewed as a Top 15 talent. Obi was in consideration for our 1st rounder so they trusted the board.
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post silver&black

conley - 4 years junior, captain
melifonwu - 5 years senior, no
vanderdoes - 4 years junior, no
sharpe - 3 years junior, captain
lee - 4 years senior, captain
luani - 5 years senior, ?
ware - 5 years senior, ?
hood - 3 years junior, ?
hester - 5 years senior, captain
jlieberum1985

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

say what if conley gone and draft melifonwu in 1st round, who would be the 2nd round pick - kpassagnon, awuzie?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 90, 91, 92  Next
Page 91 of 92

Jump to: