You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Total Control Keeper League
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Total Control Keeper League Reply with quote

As always, Total Control is on the hunt for another avenue to venture, I was pretty stuck on having one of the two mock drafts set up as a forum wide mock, but after seeing how things went this year for ffmd and all the feedback from some of you, the idea of having a group of people to run a single team, the interest just isn’t there anymore.

So switching gears, I’m looking to get feedback on another idea, that a few members have suggested to me. A keeper league. I know, I know, you’re first thought is “that would be cool”. Immediately followed by your second thought,”he’s crazy, that’s way too much work and would require too much time”. So please hear me out before making any preconceived thoughts.

The general idea, would be to conduct the off season for this keeper in March, this would contain the free agency, trades, draft, etc. You’d fill your 90 man roster just as you always have with the Total Control Mocks. Then we wait, patiently wait until the IRL season is complete, this allows us to collect statistical data throughout the season. The following year, most likely early January to give you time to drop your 90 man roster down to 53 and to officially set your depth chart and offensive and defensive schemes.

Late January through February, we use statistical data, along with other information to project the season's scores for each game, this projection system will populate the Standings for the year, giving us bragging rights, but most importantly a draft order for the upcoming off season in March….rinse & repeat.

The projection system is something I used in the past to predict the spread many years ago. The system I created does a decent job of projecting the winner of the game but wasn’t consistent enough to accurately bet the spread, so it was shelved, however, I think it would be a great tool for something like this as the system is very accurate at projecting the outcome of a game, 70% or higher once I’ve got all 17 weeks of statistical data loaded.

There are several options in how we address the first year, one idea is to have a fantasy draft where all the team rosters are empty and a snake draft is done to fill each team's roster or the GM picks two teams that compliment each other and you keep what you want and discard the rest into a pool. I think this is a cool idea, if we were only limiting this to 16 teams.

Personally, I like the idea of keeping it realistic in that we start with 32 teams and the rosters are what they are just like with any other mock draft we do in the forum. Now we obviously won’t be able to fill each team with a committed GM the first year, but because of Total Control’s popularity over the last few years, I don’t see it being an issue to find posters willing to manage the team for an off season and odds are they would likely return the next season. Should we not find a GM for a team, the TCM team would manage it, that year until we found a suitor.

Anyway, that’s the short story concept, several things to discuss and work into the system but I think we could definitely structure this keeper that would limit the amount of time it took to manage into just a few months rather than a year long event, tbh I wouldn’t even be considering this if it was a year long event as I don’t want to be tied to the computer 24/7 no more than you would.

Please give us your thoughts on if you’d be interested in joining a keeper league next year.

Thanks IDOG_det
Trojan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very much be interested in this.
badgers0821

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested and I do like the idea of doing an overall NFL draft with empty teams to start it off.

EDIT: I'd be interested in Packers

Last edited by badgers0821 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:33 am; edited 2 times in total
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
squire12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested.

I have some thoughts on this and will try to get them out this evening. From a fantasy perspective, I run 2 leagues that are salary cap and contracts for the teams/players.
squire12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the initial season start up options
1. NFL team roster is what you start with.
2. Empty roster and there is a forum draft/auction to acquire the players that will be on your roster.

There are pros and cons to each option.

Option #1 is much easier to get things started. Using the documents that TCMD already has, things are up and running from that standpoint and the "league" starts with the 2018 FA and draft process. An issue that might come up is that there are certainly teams that would be more attractive to take "ownership' of vs others. It might make it harder to fill some of the ownership roles to teams that are void of talent, depleted in draft picks or limited in salary cap.

Option #2 certainly entails a great deal more work as there would be more movement of players to different rosters and the time it would take to complete a draft or auction. I would be more in favor of an auction process to allow teams an opportunity to acquire any player and build their starting roster with less restriction than a draft provides. An auction that has a "batch" of players on the auction block at the same time would speed the process.
Something to consider is in this auction process, would the players current NFL salary be carried through, or is the auction process actually setting the contract that would be used in the league.

Since things are not starting until the 2018 off-season (effectively 12 months from now) there is certainly time to get things thought through and completed with a variety of options to consider.
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick usually does a "Rebuild Draft" after the real draft with blank rosters. Doing a salary capped version of that would be a great way to start.

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
Counselor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me Denver

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I'm in and I'd love to have the Lions

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
Something to consider is in this auction process, would the players current NFL salary be carried through, or is the auction process actually setting the contract that would be used in the league.
That would be the biggest challenge with a fantasy draft format IMO, though I think it would be fun.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
squire12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
squire12 wrote:
That would be the biggest challenge with a fantasy draft format IMO, though I think it would be fun.

I think it would be interesting to have the start up league set the contract for players vs having the player's NFL contract carry through. It does add a great deal more work and not sure that it would be all that fun to take that on.
Counselor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in favor of keeping the rosters as is. Gives us a set cap number for each player and rosters will change a lot throughout the years with the draft and FA. Especially because of the work this will be on Mike.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool last time I checked in on this we had two post, glad to see it getting some attention.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep the rosters as they are in real life. The idea of a fantasy draft is cool and all but like tcm I do prefer to keep it as real as possible, besides I love my Giants roster for the most part. Also like the idea of seeing what these rosters will look like in a few years time.

Build wise I think we have a great base already with using the total control platform, the nightmare for me will be to rebuild a workbook designed to bet the spread several years ago when my excel skills were a lot sharper than they are now. Good news I've got all year to figure it out. This will be the one doc I will be continuing to pull feedback and suggestion from you all, so be ready.

The other build issue is to set this up to actually track multi year transactions from player contracts, draft picks, coaching schemes. This is going to take more than just myself to manage all the workbooks so participation not just as GM but helping me maintain the boards is a must.

I'm actually pretty excited about this though, believe it could be the next best thing.

Glad to see a mod jumping on board IDOG, actually sent dhunt a message as I remembered he was wanting to do this a few years back to see if it would revive and give ffmd a new layer. He can't do much now but said after the draft he'd help out. Would be great if we could get this working like BDL & FFMD has got with several heads managing different things to make the workload manageable for everyone. Wink Wink

If you guys could message as many as you can that you think might be interested in this, group project style.

Thanks IDOG_det
Forge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told counselor already I'd be interested in this. Putting in my bid now for the niners

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Told counselor already I'd be interested in this. Putting in my bid now for the niners

Nice, the list is growing and I didn't even need to take the blue pill.

I took the red pill and i'm tripping balls.

Thanks IDOG_det

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: