Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Released DE Jaye Howard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigrichie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Released DE Jaye Howard Reply with quote

The Chiefs released DE Jaye Howard. Does this mean that we're trading for DE Sheldon Richardson? Let's make a trade.
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like this move at all. He is a good DE and the top candidate to backup Logan at NT. With Bailey only having a year or two left, I can see us drafting DL early.

The Air Less Expected on 3rd down AKA the ALEX scale
monsterbuck63

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it had more to do with front office concerns about the rehab on his hip injury and living up to his nearly 4 Million dollar contract.

Props to Ryknowssd on Sig and Avy
valkrei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has been on IR and if he signs with another team we get money back. It's a risk in that regards but could pay off for sure.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Chiefs_5627

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if the injury will force him from the game. Cant really think of why he would be cut at this juncture.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs_5627 wrote:
Wonder if the injury will force him from the game. Cant really think of why he would be cut at this juncture.

My thoughts as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkrei wrote:
He has been on IR and if he signs with another team we get money back. It's a risk in that regards but could pay off for sure.

Money back?

Much like Charles, this move just doesn't make any sense unless they can't play at a similar level anymore.

Personally, if Charles signs with another team and is still good, i'm gonna have a hard time rooting for KC this year....atleast against the team Charles is on. Some players just become bigger than the team to me...well I guess I don't mean that. But like Tony G, I came to terms with him being shipped away cuz the team sucked...but cutting Charles at a position where we could really use him (if he's still got it) when the team is this good...I just don't know if I could get over that.

Part of me hopes he's done and the Chiefs made the right move, but another part really wants to see him be good again and extend his legacy.

Your Denver hatred is borderline pathological. I don't think my girlfriend cheating on me would cause me as much hate as you have for Denver.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point there are only four reasons I can imagine why the Chiefs released Howard:

1. There are lingering medical issues. Chiefs got a closer look at him now that the strength & conditioning phase of the offseason programme started. May be he's not ready. However, if OTC is correct in his contract data, most of his money was guaranteed for injury - thus the effect of cutting him would be limited in cash and cap alike.

2. The Chiefs are looking for cap. Doesn't make much sense as 2.5 M$ of Howard's contract became guaranteed on the third day of the League year (12 March).

3. He showed up out of shape. That would void the medical guarantees - but as most of his salary has been guaranteed on 12 March the effect would be negligible.

4. Something happened we are not (yet) aware of.

All in all it's weird timing to let the deadline for additional guarantees pass and then release him without any recognizable trigger. It can't be performance related as coaches (other than strength and conditioning) are not even allowed to be in contact with the players right now.

EDIT: Terez Paylor (citing Corry Joel) claims the Chiefs might reclaim a bit more cap space if Howard signs elsewhere. So obviously there is some offset languange in the contract:

Quote:
Terez A. Paylor‏@TerezPaylor 23. Apr.

Quick fix: The #Chiefs can get up to $3.875M in cap relief if Howard signs elsewhere. Timing of signing DOES NOT matter, per @corryjoel.

Casa Estrellita - my retirement home
Chiefs_5627

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newest member of the Bears on a 1 year deal.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Chiefs_5627

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs_5627 wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bear-sign-jaye-howard-spt-0505-20170504-story,amp.html

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefs_5627 wrote:
Chiefs_5627 wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bear-sign-jaye-howard-spt-0505-20170504-story,amp.html

That's a team desperate for any help on D.

What happened to the Bears that could find starting defensive players in the bottom half of the draft?

J

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this not just open a more clear path for Kpassagnon to start?
chiefs82

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
Does this not just open a more clear path for Kpassagnon to start?

Doubtful. I think it's a mix of Logan/CJ95/Bailey/Nacho

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:68/Sacks:22/FF:4
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
Chiefs_5627 wrote:
Chiefs_5627 wrote:

That's a team desperate for any help on D.

What happened to the Bears that could find starting defensive players in the bottom half of the draft?

J

We bottomed out under Phil Emery who had 3 of the worst drafts in team history before being fired.

Pace has been digging out of it, but the damage of Emery/Trestman was incredible. They had to trade off all of their offensive talent because the locker room was a mess and the defense got old after Lovie and no one replaced any of the talent.

Howard will play for the Bears. We need a consistent 3rd DLmen to give professional reps. He doesn't have to be a star, Hicks and Goldman are the building blocks.

Thank your luck stars that the Haley/Crennel/Pioli years did not leave you the talentless broken team the Bears were.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: