Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TJ Watt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: TJ Watt Reply with quote

It seems like alot of people on here wouldn't like him at all at #30.

My question is why?

Pretty good athletically, decent against the run and in coverage.

Now, he's raw since only playing defense for I believe 2 years and think he's had some injuries. Needs to display more pass rush moves but overall seems like a worthwhile pick at 30.

Steelers seem very interested in him...

So am I missing something or what?
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: TJ Watt Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:

My question is why?

Now, he's raw since only playing defense for I believe 2 years and think he's had some injuries. Needs to display more pass rush moves but overall seems like a worthwhile pick at 30.

Good athlete? Yes. Natural pass rusher? No. Nice size, work ethic, pedigree, etc. And, yes, injuries are a concern.

He's a converted tight end so he doesn't have as much experience at the position. My question is: Where does he fit? Is he a true OLB? an ILB? If the Steelers think they can mold him into a great player, then he might make good on all the hype. I just see him as raw and unproven at this point. Not a 1st rounder imo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's had surgery on both knees. His knees also have some other injury that is hard for me to explain so.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aCppYZO838

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
warfelg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
He's had surgery on both knees. His knees also have some other injury that is hard for me to explain so.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aCppYZO838

It's the same thing my dog has:

THe knee cap is not properly shaped to the joint. So the patella (knee cap) dislocates easily and puts stress on all the tendons in the knee. Either you don't fix it and eventually have a knee replacement (and in the NFL a short career) or you do fix it with a knee shaving, microfracture, and at least 18 months of rehab (for humans, my dog was 8 months). It's an ugly injury and issue to have.

But as for his play, everything JLambert said. He's new to the position, doesn't know a whole lot about how to play it. I saw a ton of either great jump or a long battle to get a sack. There was very rare "hey that was a great move" sack.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
mwalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TJ Watt Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:

My question is why?

The good: The naturals; size, speed, bloodline. And most importantly, almost everyone believes his best football is in front of him.

The less so: The body of work; one year really, two knee injuries.

I think he's a great round 2 pick, but not round 1. He might be better for us inside, but his injury history makes that tough. If his name wasn't Watt, I think there'd be a bit less hype. He's a good football player, with really good upside, but his injuries mean he's just too risky in round 1.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes a reach projection at 30. Nice athlete that can be versatile. Really not even the best linebacker on his team this past year. That would be Ciche and probably not the best pass rusher on his team but close with Biegel.

It is a situation kind of similar to Clay Matthews coming out of USC.

At this time i have him as a mid to late 2nd round value in this draft but should develop into something solid, you can see upside, but hell there is more observable upside to Derek Rivers if you can keep his motor up.

Tarell Basham is a guy to watch and i think could go much earlier than is being discussed.

Last edited by JustPlainNasty on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reasons were all touched on already...

1) Somewhat overhyped because of his brother.
2) Very real injury red flags
3) Personal view, but I see him as more of a ILB in our defense than an OLB.

I like Watt...but even without the knee issues, I wouldnt consider him at all in the first. I wouldnt hate it in the 2nd (wouldnt love it either)....ideal spot IMO with all those issues would be 3rd round. Wont fall, but if he did, would be well worth it there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: TJ Watt Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

My question is why?

how many 6'5 Ilb's you know?

Good athlete? Yes. Natural pass rusher? No. Nice size, work ethic, pedigree, etc. And, yes, injuries are a concern.

He's a converted tight end so he doesn't have as much experience at the position. My question is: Where does he fit? Is he a true OLB? an ILB? If the Steelers think they can mold him into a great player, then he might make good on all the hype. I just see him as raw and unproven at this point. Not a 1st rounder imo.
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this guy sucks. Change his name to Tim Wattley and he's a 3rd round pick
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love love love love love love it! I watched this guy more than anyone else this year, with Christian McCaffrey being the only exception. I think he can be very good and very versatile. Just gotta stay healthy, which is the case with everyone.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theironcitykid wrote:
I think this guy sucks. Change his name to Tim Wattley and he's a 3rd round pick

There may actually be some credibility to that. Like I said hes a nice football player, but he is a projection. Not fond of taking that in the first round.

Would've went Kizer, Melifonwu or Chidobe.

Thankfully it wasnt Davis Webb.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to be "That Guy" but are there some similarities between Watt and Kevin Green? High motor guys with strong hands and get "skinny".

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
warfelg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Hate to be "That Guy" but are there some similarities between Watt and Kevin Green? High motor guys with strong hands and get "skinny".

Eh...Green played pissed off. Watt hustles.

I really can't think of anyone that Watt reminds me of. Maybe Rob Ninkovich or Paul Kruger.

Blah. There were just so many good secondary options to take.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
Steelers329

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Eh...Green played pissed off. Watt hustles.

I really can't think of anyone that Watt reminds me of. Maybe Rob Ninkovich or Paul Kruger.

Blah. There were just so many good secondary options to take.

seriously doubt it. I don't love the pick but options were slim.. we should have traded up for hooker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have went King, Foster, or anyone else over Watt. i don't see him as an ILB. Watt would make a damn good 43 WLB.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: