You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The New 2017 NFL Draft thread Chargers edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want the Chargers to Take At 7
Malik Hooker
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Jamaal Adams
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Marshon Lattimore
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Jonathan Allen
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Trade Down
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

game3525

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
I definitely don't like the Williams pick at 7. I just don't see it as a need as much as other spots, not first round worthy imo.

I'm kind of thinking Obi in the 2nd if he is there, that big safety... we'll see though, should be plenty of options.

Disagree

Williams wouldn't have been my pick. But the offense had major issues moving the ball late in the year, because the wideout and o-line play was really subpar.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm Telesco and I believe the offense was the reason why the team lost games last season, then I'm going all in and early in this draft on offensive guys.

He already hates 4th round picks. Kick one to either Green Bay or Seattle to trade up from #38 and go get Lamp (or Cam Robinson, who realistically could do what Tunsil has done in Miami and apprentice at LG before shifting over to LOT).

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Neutral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
He already hates 4th round picks. Kick one to either Green Bay or Seattle to trade up from #38 and go get Lamp

kyle21121

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
The LBC wrote:
He already hates 4th round picks. Kick one to either Green Bay or Seattle to trade up from #38 and go get Lamp

That would be awesome haha

Also I don't hate the pick but I don't love it either I am fine with it. I figured we would draft a WR in this draft I just didn't think in round 1.

He did get that Dez comp. how accurate is that? I only saw him play really in the national title game(s).

Healthy Keenan-M. Williams-T. Williams-Inman plus Gates and Henry is a pretty solid core of pass catchers to get excited about.

Travis Benjamin deserves to be cut with a rusty blade
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more likely they end up flipping Inman for a future Day 3 pick the same way they did with Mike Harris when he was an RFA.

Ideally, you'd want to flip Benjamin, probably because he'd be more highly thought of, but that contract is probably prohibitive.

I don't hate the Williams pick (despite him being my 3rd-rated WR), I just hate the value relative to what they're getting on the immediate front. I felt the same way about Williams that I did about Solomon Thomas - the ceiling is clearly there, but he needs more polish (route-running and release at the LOS, especially) than he gets credit for. And if that was the kind of a guy you were after - someone with upside and those shortcomings who could go up and get jump-balls in the red-zone, you could have comfortably gotten Chris Godwin in R2 and put this pick towards a player that could have had a more immediate impact.

MathMan wrote:
Neutral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
I think it's more likely they end up flipping Inman for a future Day 3 pick the same way they did with Mike Harris when he was an RFA.

You're thinking of Sirles.

And rather than flipping a WR, perhaps Whiz is thinking of using more 4 WR sets next year? You've got your every down back, and your emerging TE has shown that he's a good blocker. You can make that work, especially against teams lacking depth in the secondary.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
The LBC wrote:

You're thinking of Sirles.

And rather than flipping a WR, perhaps Whiz is thinking of using more 4 WR sets next year? You've got your every down back, and your emerging TE has shown that he's a good blocker. You can make that work, especially against teams lacking depth in the secondary.

Also tough to predict that Allen will stay healthy, and Williams obviously has injury concerns himself. Inman's nothing special really, but are they going to get that much for him? Not sure. And he was an 800 yard receiver, even if it was due to volume.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
kyle21121

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inman isn't special but he's decent and if he's the #4 as opposed to #2 then I'm fine with him. I just hate Benjamin but with his deal he likely is here to stay. If we were to flip him I wouldn't be upset.

Allen staying healthy is a big if but if he does than this will be a great group. Since he hasn't really been able to do that it makes sense to take a WR in round 1 if they though he was a top talent.
kyle21121

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have been talking myself into it a bit which I tend to do I am excited for the offensive potential if they can stay healthy.
game3525

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
If I'm Telesco and I believe the offense was the reason why the team lost games last season, then I'm going all in and early in this draft on offensive guys.

He already hates 4th round picks. Kick one to either Green Bay or Seattle to trade up from #38 and go get Lamp (or Cam Robinson, who realistically could do what Tunsil has done in Miami and apprentice at LG before shifting over to LOT).

Agreed.

If you want maximize the potential of this group then you have fix the interior. This is the old build on strengths philosophy.
DingoLadd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get why they took Mike Williams but I would've preferred Hooker,Allen but since I drafted Mike Williams in my fantasy league 3 weeks ago I cannot hate this pick at all. They would've been better off adding a blue chip defender than a WR but I was wrong about bosa and I'll trust Telesco on Williams as well.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587352&start=0 - Fantasy draft link. (I also own Phillip Rivers and Melvin Gordon so if you wanna join my team...*wink*)

Long live Phillip Rivers and his constant carrying of this god awful team.

Also go (South Carolina) Charleston Dingoes. Looking for a co-owner for a fantasy team so PM me please.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DingoLadd wrote:
I get why they took Mike Williams but I would've preferred Hooker,Allen but since I drafted Mike Williams in my fantasy league 3 weeks ago I cannot hate this pick at all. They would've been better off adding a blue chip defender than a WR but I was wrong about bosa and I'll trust Telesco on Williams as well.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=587352&start=0 - Fantasy draft link. (I also own Phillip Rivers and Melvin Gordon so if you wanna join my team...*wink*)

Neither Allen or Hooker were blue chip defenders in my opinion. A case could definitely be made for Hooker, but he was a guy that had a blue-chipper ceiling without a blue-chipper's floor. The Ed Reed/Earl Thomas/Sean Taylor comps were absurd and sensationalism by people who are severely underselling what those three brought to the table as prospects. Realistically, Hooker was Reggie Nelson as a prospect - that's not a Top 10 pick.

Allen was never a blue-chipper. He showed signs that he might have been one had he stayed as an edge-rusher, but then he added that bulk and his get-off suffered something fierce. Throw in that he, according to reports, has back injury concerns to go along with the arthritic shoulders and you're talking two types of injuries that could be career-ending if the become chronically recurring hanging over his head. That's nowhere near worth of a Top 10 pick. He honestly went slightly above where I would have valued him, tbh. The dude is Tyson Jackson.

Telesco was in an unfavorable position. Adams almost fell to him and probably would have been the pick if he did. Lattimore was the best pure value but probably would have been a hard sell as a Top 10 investment given the recent 1st rounder sunk into Verrett and the season the Casey Heyward is coming off. If we were talking him getting Lattimore where the Saints did, that's an easy sell because it's ++ value and teams clearly need to be 3-deep at CB in terms of viable starters nowadays.

I also think Tennessee grabbing Davis that early threw a wrench in things. My bet is that the whole "Chargers are in on McCaffrey" bit was to try and incite another team to jump the Panthers for him and allow us to trade back (similar to what it sounds like was the plan for Tennessee) and have other value options - including Williams - available to us in the teens. Like with Tennessee, no one bit.

Ultimately, the Chargers got bitten by the fact that there were 2-3 prospects in this draft that were top-ceiling guys a premium positions (namely QB and OT) and one of those prospects having some legit injury concerns (Lattimore). It failed to push top talent at the non-premium positions of need for the team (if you exclude Lamp at OG) down the board to #7.

MathMan wrote:
kyle21121

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a lot of fair points. This draft had 4-6 top end players it seemed like and aside from Myles (possibly Adams) they all seemingly had a red flag. I don't know if it's the age we live in that we are now just getting all this extra info on players but even if so it seems like either Injury, off field, lack of experience or eome other flaw put us in a tough spot especially #7. A trade down would have been sweet but I guess no one was biting on McCaffery like Tampa or Indy I guess could have possibly been trade partners but they say back and seemingly got a quality player fall to them.

If Allen has a major injury red flag and Hooker has that high ceiling/low floor combo plus an injury risk as well it probably doesn't make sense to take them at #7. Going #15 and #17 like they did that's the point where a risk makes more sense like if people had them and the 3rd and 5th best players you may as well try and make a HR pick at the point with the risk of striking out maybe Mike Williams is a double and I'm okay with that.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, this draft strikes me as a better version of 2013. I think you're going to get a lot of guys that end up being ok starters from pick 4 to well into the 40's, maybe longer. Maybe not a ton of pure busts, like they had in '13, but just guys that aren't top talents. There's a lot of guys with big upsides, but also either are 2 year projects or are really iffy characters.

I don't really love Mike Williams, but he's in a good spot. He's a top 10 pick, that isn't going to have to consistently go up against #1 corners and is a guy who needs to learn how to run routs, and can learn from KA, who's one of the best in the league, and the guy who taught TO how to run routs, and that's not even mentioning our own WR coach, who's worked with Fitzgerald/Boldin among others. Also that guy throwing him the ball is pretty good too. So I think this was the best fit you're going to get.

I also saw a lot of the basketball past in his game. Like I said on twitter. He high points the ball like he's attacking the rim. He goes up anticipating contact and knows how/when it's coming so he can adjust in the air and still make the catch. That's just something you don't teach. I'm like LBC though, I think he'll be good in time, I'm not sure he's go the big #1 receiver upside, but he'll be a high end #2 for a long time IMO.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am hoping that we can land either Lamp or Baker with our 2nd.

I think the Seahawks/Jaguars will gobble up either prospect, although I could see Seattle targeting Tyus Bowser or maybe Kevin King as well.

Personally, in TT & Co. fashion I wouldn't mind packaging a 4th to move up and land Lamp. I think he obviously has great potential as a Guard, but also could play Tackle in a pinch if needed to (someone goes down).

Derek Rivers would be an attractive LEO option, Bowser as a SAM prospect, Malik McDowell might even be available.

I think we could still target a potential FS/CB in the 3rd if we do go a different route in the 2nd. Guys like Ahkello Witherspoon (CB), Desmond King (CB/S), Brian Allen (CB), Josh Jones (S), Eddie Jackson (S), etc.

Should be an interesting night

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: