You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The New 2017 NFL Draft thread Chargers edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you want the Chargers to Take At 7
Malik Hooker
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Jamaal Adams
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Marshon Lattimore
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Jonathan Allen
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Other
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Trade Down
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author Message
chargerbuckeye


Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 1610
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Neutral wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
8. CAR: McCaffrey


The persistence of this rumor makes me think the Chargers have a tentative offer to trade down with the Saints.

I get that the Panthers want to add another RB, and like the versatility McCaffrey offers, but I can't picture a better fit than in Sean Payton's offense. You just know that he's watched the tape and thinks about using him like another Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles. I don't know if they'd target a RB that early. But, they've been linked to multiple veteran FAs to pair with Mark Ingram, and have yet to sign anyone. I just get the feeling that Payton's going to pound the table for McCaffrey. And, if there's a legit threat that a division rival will take him right before they pick, he'll ask Loomis to trade up.

Unless the Jets are willing to take a below-market offer, #7 would be the spot. If the teams did trade, I expect it would go like this:

Chargers send #7, #151
Saints send #11, #76, #229

Fair value for the jump is a bit less than the value of the Saints' original 3rd, so I'd expect something to go back. The Saints are missing their 4th and 5th round picks, so the swap of late round picks makes sense. And that leaves them with their premium picks (#32 and #42) to target help on defense.


Saints are dead set on defense and will take curtis samuel in rd 2 to not only do what mccaffrey can do, but also do a little bit of what cooks can do.

Not that you've exactly had a successful track record with your guarantees and such as it pertains to the draft, but this flies in the face of much of what I've been hearing.

The Saints want to come away from Day 1 with a corner, but Payton covets McCaffrey. That said, if they trade up to #7, you can be damn sure it's for either Lattimore (not as likely, as from what I've heard they actually have Conley rated higher) or OJ Howard (this actually wouldn't shock me at all). All that said, the more likely scenario is they sit tight, hope that McCaffrey falls, and if he doesn't they'll take Conley and fish for a TE (this notion that they're just going to spend #32 or a 2nd round pick on a WR to replace Cooks after flipping him for #32 is pretty ridiculous - they'll sit tight till the 3rd or 4th and grab someone like Taywan Taylor who can fill the same role - TE is a greater likelihood of an early round pick than WR is based off the high number of targets Brees gives to his TE's and Fleener's relative inability to make an impact as a free agent signing last season).



But the Jets are also looking to trade back. If they don't trade back with the Browns, they could easily trade back with the saints. If the Saints want McCaffrey, they can get him at 6 if cleveland can't make a deal with the jets
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chargerbuckeye


Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 1610
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for the Saints and mccaffrey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 35148
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
So much for the Saints and mccaffrey

At this point I honestly won't be surprised if McCaffrey goes #2 overall to the Niners - or at the very least goes before Fournette.

At the same time, I also won't be surprised if the Chargers forego safety until the 3rd round or later (like they did with center last year), and we end up seeing a first 2 round return of Forrest Lamp and an edge-rusher (Willis/Watt/Rivers/Lawson... or possibly Charles Harris who it sounds like they're high on and I find myself praying that other teams are as well and he's already gone, which it's sounding like may be true).
_________________

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chargerbuckeye


Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 1610
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
So much for the Saints and mccaffrey

At this point I honestly won't be surprised if McCaffrey goes #2 overall to the Niners - or at the very least goes before Fournette.

At the same time, I also won't be surprised if the Chargers forego safety until the 3rd round or later (like they did with center last year), and we end up seeing a first 2 round return of Forrest Lamp and an edge-rusher (Willis/Watt/Rivers/Lawson... or possibly Charles Harris who it sounds like they're high on and I find myself praying that other teams are as well and he's already gone, which it's sounding like may be true).



Remember the Ronnie Stanley hype at 3. It was going on all day till someone in the Chargers organization said people literally have no idea who we are going to take at 3 after listening to analyst predictions and reading mocks which led me to believe when our pick was in, that it was Bosa. I feel like their is a bleep load of smoke when it comes to this draft
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Highboltage55


Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 189
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really hoping Jamal Adams is available when we are on the clock, he should be the pick without hesitation.

I have kind of "cooled" on Jonathan Allen. I like Jaleel Johnson a lot and think he could be a future replacement for Mebane, with the ability to play both DT/NT effectively. Dalvin Tomlinson offers a similar skill set and likely will be around in the "mid" rounds. I love Malik McDowells upside, but he isn't a LEO, and likely won't play the SSDE (Bosa). I'm not buying that he is a full time 3 Tech, but he would still be an intriguing option if he was available in the 2nd round. If Liuget doesn't produce as a pass rusher this year, maybe the team restructures him and uses him as Mebane's future replacement at Nose. We could always look for someone twitchier to rush as a 3 Tech, since more recently Liuget has been a better run-stopper.

Although I haven't watched any tape, from what I have read on Derek Rivers of Youngstown St., he seem like he would be a good LEO candidate. I still am a believer in Jerry Attaouchu, I think he could really flourish in this role and is kind of forgotten based off last year (I.e. "Being in the doghouse/injured"). I like TJ Watt as a SAM and potential Ingram replacement, but I don't think he will last until the 2nd.

* Apparenty during Telesco's pressed he stated Bosa and Ingram will be the Defensive Ends... TBH I felt JA97 would be a better fit at the LEO due to twitch/length, but apparently they will roll with Ingram. Does this mean that Attaouchu starts at SAM and plays some Nickle DE? Does he just play as a designated pass rusher? Do he and Ingram play as Edge's in sub-packages while Bosa "kicks" inside (Mebane subbed out) during sub packages? Lots of questions to be answered, but I think this will rule out someone like Derek Barnett, Solomon Thomas or McDowell.

It will be interesting to see if they draft one of the "big" Corners (Kevin King, Witherspoon of Colorado, the kid from Utah). Personally I am a big fan of both Kazee and Desmond King, who are great in Zone and run support but don't quite have the size Bradley covets. I am a big fan of Budda Baker, besides Hooker I think he would be a great schematic fit as a Centerfield / FS.

It wouldn't surprise be in the least bit if they drafted Lamp at #7. While I would hope they could engineer a trade down (maybe Browns at 12?) to accrue more ammo, he seems like a TT & Co. selection. Only thing lacking would be the big school pedigree, otherwise he has the experience/production, intangibles and is squeaky clean off the field. He had All-Pro upside at Guard in similar fashion to Martin or Decastro, but IMO can also play Tackle in a pinch if an emergency. I do like Antonio Garcia as a candidate to "groom" as a future starter at Left Tackle- a little light in the pants, but has great feet and athleticism for a ~300 lb man. Hopefully he is on the board in the third. I also like Taylor Moton ( start him at RG and eventually RT), but it wouldn't surprise me if both Moton/Garcia are gone in the second.


Last edited by Highboltage55 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 35148
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
So much for the Saints and mccaffrey

At this point I honestly won't be surprised if McCaffrey goes #2 overall to the Niners - or at the very least goes before Fournette.

At the same time, I also won't be surprised if the Chargers forego safety until the 3rd round or later (like they did with center last year), and we end up seeing a first 2 round return of Forrest Lamp and an edge-rusher (Willis/Watt/Rivers/Lawson... or possibly Charles Harris who it sounds like they're high on and I find myself praying that other teams are as well and he's already gone, which it's sounding like may be true).



Remember the Ronnie Stanley hype at 3. It was going on all day till someone in the Chargers organization said people literally have no idea who we are going to take at 3 after listening to analyst predictions and reading mocks which led me to believe when our pick was in, that it was Bosa. I feel like their is a bleep load of smoke when it comes to this draft

The Ronnie Stanley hype was proliferated by Matt Miller running with a source that had bad intel. The folks I've been hearing about the heavy interest in Lamp from the Chargers are about as far from Matt Miller as you can get.

There's a ton of smoke being thrown out there, but Telesco's not all that difficult to read - which was why the Ronnie Stanley rumor was so difficult to swallow even when it was the talk of Twitter last year. Telesco addresses the biggest deficiency of the previous season's squad with his 1st round pick and that he did little to touch in free agency. The Okung signing was an OL signing, but that was also following an unplanned release of Dunlap. Meanwhile, they let Fluker walk and didn't do anything to offset that loss.

I still wholeheartedly believe that Adams is their favorite for the pick, but I'm starting to doubt more and more that he'll be there. And if we're being honest, the biggest deficiency of last season was the offense stagnating in the 2nd half and being unable to close out games, despite the defense being able to get off the field and getting turnovers.
_________________

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Highboltage55


Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 189
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I really hope we don't draft Mike Williams or Cam Robinson at #7. I'm not too worried about Robinson, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they took Williams.

Slam Dunk Pick:
Jamal Adams (S- SS/FS)

Good Pick (I could live with it):
Corey Davis (WR)
Malik Hooker (FS)
Forrest Lamp (OL)
Marshon Lattimore (CB)
OJ Howard (TE)-highly doubtful, would form a great tandem for years with Henry. Would love utilization of double Tight Ends as a "base Offense" which would boost the running game (Howard is an improving blocker, while Henry is already good). Both are capable receivers and "big" targets with Howard being a plus athlete. Obviously we have "bigger" priorities than adding another TE early in the draft.

Do Not Want:
Mike Williams (WR)
Cam Robinson (OT/G)
Derek Barnett (DE)
Any QB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zithers


Joined: 15 Aug 2010
Posts: 3268
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers beat writer who is p reliable says Solomon Thomas won't get to 8 and that his floor is 7 with you guys. Just FYI.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Highboltage55


Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 189
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
Panthers beat writer who is p reliable says Solomon Thomas won't get to 8 and that his floor is 7 with you guys. Just FYI.


Solomon Thomas, schematically, wouldn't be a great fit with our current roster. Bosa obviously is entrenched at one of the Defensive end spots (SSDE), with Melvin Ingram playing the "LEO"/weakside DE (9 Tech).

Thomas isn't a LEO, and it wouldn't make much sense to move Bosa over (assuming Ingram isn't retained next year). Thomas's only value IMO would be as an interior pass rusher during sub-packages initially, which I don't think is worth the #7 selection. He is also a one year wonder, which typically our front office doesn't seem to be attracted to.

He could be a future replacement for Corey Liuget but I don't see him as a full time 3 Tech DT, and I think (could be wrong) that it is just smoke at this moment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chargerbuckeye


Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 1610
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
Panthers beat writer who is p reliable says Solomon Thomas won't get to 8 and that his floor is 7 with you guys. Just FYI.




Solomon Thomas is going to the niners or bears
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 35148
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
Panthers beat writer who is p reliable says Solomon Thomas won't get to 8 and that his floor is 7 with you guys. Just FYI.


Solomon Thomas, schematically, wouldn't be a great fit with our current roster. Bosa obviously is entrenched at one of the Defensive end spots (SSDE), with Melvin Ingram playing the "LEO"/weakside DE (9 Tech).

Thomas isn't a LEO, and it wouldn't make much sense to move Bosa over (assuming Ingram isn't retained next year). Thomas's only value IMO would be as an interior pass rusher during sub-packages initially, which I don't think is worth the #7 selection. He is also a one year wonder, which typically our front office doesn't seem to be attracted to.

He could be a future replacement for Corey Liuget but I don't see him as a full time 3 Tech DT, and I think (could be wrong) that it is just smoke at this moment.

Engh... Thomas is an edge player not an interior rusher. He was miscast in that role at Stanford - contained by single-blocks way, way too much for a guy with his kind of athleticism... and contained was the nice stuff, he got washed out of his gap and even straight up pancaked onto his back quite a bit when he lined up inside.

Thing is, Thomas is all upside and not a ton of floor. By that I mean, his technique is pretty non-existent - especially when you're talking handwork. He's not unseating any starter in the current base defense out the gate because he is literally that raw. He could develop into a tremendous player... he could also never maximize that potential (Vernon Gholston had upside out the wazoo and never amounted to squat). He's going to get drafted because of what he could be - but if this team is as in "need to win now" mode as we want to believe they are, Thomas isn't a smart pick.
_________________

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Highboltage55


Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 189
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the latest rumor more or less is Solomon Thomas if available or potentially trade down to target Lamp.

Other guys they have after Thomas:

?-mystery player (Corey Davis?)
Mike Williams
Jon Allen
Deshaun Watson
Hooker
Peppers

If their is any truth to these rumors i hope for Thomas or the Trade down

Wouldn't really like Williams or Watson @ 7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7223
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Highboltage55 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
Panthers beat writer who is p reliable says Solomon Thomas won't get to 8 and that his floor is 7 with you guys. Just FYI.


Solomon Thomas, schematically, wouldn't be a great fit with our current roster. Bosa obviously is entrenched at one of the Defensive end spots (SSDE), with Melvin Ingram playing the "LEO"/weakside DE (9 Tech).

Thomas isn't a LEO, and it wouldn't make much sense to move Bosa over (assuming Ingram isn't retained next year). Thomas's only value IMO would be as an interior pass rusher during sub-packages initially, which I don't think is worth the #7 selection. He is also a one year wonder, which typically our front office doesn't seem to be attracted to.

He could be a future replacement for Corey Liuget but I don't see him as a full time 3 Tech DT, and I think (could be wrong) that it is just smoke at this moment.

Engh... Thomas is an edge player not an interior rusher. He was miscast in that role at Stanford - contained by single-blocks way, way too much for a guy with his kind of athleticism... and contained was the nice stuff, he got washed out of his gap and even straight up pancaked onto his back quite a bit when he lined up inside.

Thing is, Thomas is all upside and not a ton of floor. By that I mean, his technique is pretty non-existent - especially when you're talking handwork. He's not unseating any starter in the current base defense out the gate because he is literally that raw. He could develop into a tremendous player... he could also never maximize that potential (Vernon Gholston had upside out the wazoo and never amounted to squat). He's going to get drafted because of what he could be - but if this team is as in "need to win now" mode as we want to believe they are, Thomas isn't a smart pick.


If this team isn't in win now mode then it's in win never mode. Quarterback purgatory is coming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7223
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT saying Joe Mixon is his favorite because of religion. SMDH.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zappaz


Joined: 16 Sep 2010
Posts: 1667
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely don't like the Williams pick at 7. I just don't see it as a need as much as other spots, not first round worthy imo.

I'm kind of thinking Obi in the 2nd if he is there, that big safety... we'll see though, should be plenty of options.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group