Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

First Round Mock (trades)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericr0319

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: First Round Mock (trades) Reply with quote

This is similar to what CatalystNX recently posted, a mock with scenarios that will never happened. That said, I will take my shot at it, and mimic his format I loved.
--------------------------------
01: CLE: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
02. SF: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
03. CHI: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
04. JAX: Jamal Adams, S, LSU
05. TEN: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
06. NYJ: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
07. LAC: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama

You probably think Solomon Thomas is a steal here, and you’re right, he is. But, with the depth of the draft and Carolina eager to acquire more weapons, we trade down. We are in a perfect spot for a team to trade up for either Pat Mahomes or Deshaun Watson, whomever their guy is.
Arizona, fearing both teams could take QB's, opts not to trade up… In the most likeliness of scenarios Cleveland moves up to get their guy. Cleveland sends their 3rd rounder (No. 65) and the two teams swap 2nd rounds. (Cleveland sends us No. 33, and Carolina sends off No. 40.)

08. CLE: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
09. CIN: Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
10. BUF: Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
11. NO: Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

The Panthers use the 12th pick on O.J. Howard, who adds an offensive weapon this team needs.

13. ARZ: Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
14. PHI: Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
15. IND: Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
16. BAL: Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
17. WAS: Adoree Jackson, CB/KR, USC

Four picks later there is still a play maker that Carolina has their eye one. Tennessee, who is willing to trade down and pile up more picks is the perfect trade partner. With Tampa one pick later and a division foe, Carolina snags a RB from them. However, it cost Carolina the 2nd they acquired from Cleveland and their late 2nd (No. 64).

The Panthers use the 18th pick on Christian McCaffrey. Adds an element to the offense that Carolina is lacking, unpredictability. Now let us just hope we can be creative with him. The rest of the draft unfolds without any trades by us.

RESULT:

1st (CLE): O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

1st (TEN): Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

3rd (CLE): Budda Baker, S, Washington

3rd (Comp): Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy

4th: DeMarcus Walker, DE, Florida State

5th: Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State

6th: Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina

7th: Connor Harris, LB, Lindenwood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Would love to come away with both Howard and McCaffrey somehow. My only complaint is that I feel like we could get more from Cleveland in that deal. Like maybe #33 + swap 3rds instead of the other way around.

But overall a good mock. I actually do think the chances of us trading down are pretty good. There's already talk of Cleveland trying to trade up with the Jets and we pick just two picks later, so maybe if the Jets are asking for too much, we can step in with an offer of our own.

Or even if that deal does get done with the Jets, it removes a barrier to us potentially landing Leonard Fournette. Jacksonville remains the biggest threat, but we don't know for a fact that they're zeroed in on taking him. They could go for Solomon Thomas or Jonathan Allen or even a surprise pick like Gereon Conley or Christian McCaffrey over Fournette.

Personally, my preferences are - realistically - in order:

01. Leonard Fournette, RB
02. Malik Hooker, FS
03. Jamal Adams, SS
04. Solomon Thomas, DE
05. TRADE DOWN
06. O.J. Howard, TE
07. Christian McCaffrey, RB
08. Derek Barnett, DE
09. Gereon Conley, CB
10. Jonathan Allen, DL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatalystNX wrote:
I like it. Would love to come away with both Howard and McCaffrey somehow. My only complaint is that I feel like we could get more from Cleveland in that deal. Like maybe #33 + swap 3rds instead of the other way around.

But overall a good mock. I actually do think the chances of us trading down are pretty good. There's already talk of Cleveland trying to trade up with the Jets and we pick just two picks later, so maybe if the Jets are asking for too much, we can step in with an offer of our own.

Or even if that deal does get done with the Jets, it removes a barrier to us potentially landing Leonard Fournette. Jacksonville remains the biggest threat, but we don't know for a fact that they're zeroed in on taking him. They could go for Solomon Thomas or Jonathan Allen or even a surprise pick like Gereon Conley or Christian McCaffrey over Fournette.

02. Malik Hooker, FS
03. Jamal Adams, SS
04. Solomon Thomas, DE
05. TRADE DOWN
06. O.J. Howard, TE
08. Derek Barnett, DE
09. Gereon Conley, CB
10. Jonathan Allen, DL

We met with none of them, so barring Gettleman breaking his trend that has endured since he got here, you can probably take them off your wishlist.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics
ericr0319

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatalystNX wrote:

02. Malik Hooker, FS
03. Jamal Adams, SS
04. Solomon Thomas, DE
05. TRADE DOWN
06. O.J. Howard, TE
08. Derek Barnett, DE
09. Gereon Conley, CB
10. Jonathan Allen, DL

I agree with I think we could get more value, however, I was going with point value with the picks. I am not sure how much teams actually adhere to this, but I didn't want to drift off into fantasy land. Cleveland would only be moving up 4 slots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: