Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What if? draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: What if? draft Reply with quote

Got this idea off of another thread. Ben goes to the Rooneys and Tomlin and tells them, “Hey, this is the last rodeo. I am done after this.” Instead of drafting his successor now, the FO decides instead to win the SB this year, and worry about the new QB in next year’s class.

1.30—John Ross, WR Washington 5’11” 190
Game breaker opposite of AB. At worst, a slot when MBryant comes back. Burner, great route runner, and a passing threat that can take the top off of the defense. Can catch a ton and the YACs are crazy. Ben’s homerun threat this year, and next year’s security blanket for the new QB.
2.62— Alvin Kamara, RB Tennessee 5’10” 214
Explosive numbers are off the charts. Great runner with explosive speed and game breaking moves. Change of pace for Bell, 3rd down slot receiver, kick returner. Home run anytime he touches the ball. Does great with designed runs, not good at reading the game. Good enough to spell Bell and have an impact on 3rd down. Excellent receiver.
3.94—Bucky Hodges , TE VA Tech 6’6” 257
True mismatch weapon. Hback, big WR, seam buster. This guy can make catches and make guys pay. His measurables are off the chart. Like crazy. Ben would love to have this guy running seams, hooks and multi-level passes. Not a crazy-bad blocker, but the Steelers scheme their way into that with personnel.
3.105—Ahkello Witherspoon, CB Colorado 6’3” 198
Big, tall, size and speed combo deamon that can come in and learn the outside CB and eventually take it over and run with it. Takes a ding since he is not real physical and a great tackler, but Burns wasn’t either and Lake has improved that.
4.135—Vince Biegel, OLB Wisconsin 6’3” 246
OLB in training. Not a heavy-hands blaster and not a long term answer opposite of Dupree, but he has NFL skills that can help him in a depth role and on special teams. Coachable, loves the game, and a very noble player, he can make a difference and fill the back end of the roster. If Harrison plays another year or two, he can work with Chick to be the backups and role players for injury. Will never be a pass rush threat, but can stack on the run and tackle with authority.
5.173—Jadar Johnson, FS Clemson 6’0” 206
Long term FS prospect. Long, lean, fast and quick. He can cover a lot of ground in a short period of time. Can be the long term FS option, making Mitchell a more in the box option.
6.213—Treyvon Hester, DL Toledo 6’2” 300
Visted multiple times and can make a statement on the depth of the DL. Can push Maxey and Walton. Great 3 tech rusher and also can play out at the end.
7.248—Chad Wheeler, C USC 6’7” 306
3 year starter with position flexibility. Zone blocker that can beat the guy across from him but will not kill anyone. Gives some depth to Finney and Pouncey.

Whomever is the QB in 2018, Landry, Zach or a draft pick, will have weapons around him.

jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the holes on defense they cannot afford to spend 4 draft choices on offense. By the 3rd round I would be in jail for destroying not only my tv but several neighbors tv's as well.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Steelers2014

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you realize we need d to win the sb. Not offense
KofQ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelers2014 wrote:
you realize we need d to win the sb. Not offense

+1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What if" I go to jail for public intoxication and smashing Kevin Colbert's car with a sledgehammer?

If your "what if" came true, so would mine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
"What if" I go to jail for public intoxication and smashing Kevin Colbert's car with a sledgehammer?

If your "what if" came true, so would mine.

I would feel much the same, especially if we wasted either of our first two picks on either Ross or Kamara. Ugghh. You might as well bring back Dri Archer.

Im not a big fan of Hodges either, especially with all the other possibilities.

Witherspoon is intriguing but is not really a Steelers type of player. Doesnt really like t mix it up like his teammate Chidobe Awuzie. Ive been off with this in the past because Ive had similar perception about Keenan Lewis coming out of Oregon State. Witherspoon has great size and is pretty good in coverage. I get similar impressions of Fabian Mareau.

Hester is someone Ive followed since he was a freshman. I was hoping for more from him truthfully over time.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dont know what your saying about your future if the draft fell that way. I would think our best idea for life after Ben in the immediate following of his retirement would be to build a strong defense and run the ball with one of the best backs in the league and a very solid (still relatively young) offensive line. The offensive side we already have...its defensive talent we lack.

Grab a vet, draft a QB and play smart, solid, if not boring football and hope the guy you drafted can become the corner stone.

We already have the tools on offense to win right now. Even if Ben would go say that, I would think they would think very seriously about putting more talent on the defense still because that and availability (Coates fingers, Greens head, Bryant suspension) is what is keeping us from a super bowl...not picking more offensive fire power.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: