You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Rumors and Trends Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: The Rumors and Trends Mock Draft Reply with quote

1[3] QB Deshaun Watson [Clemson] 6'2" 221lbs, 4.66 [40], 32.5" vert, 9'9" broad

Dane Brugler has been pretty adamant that he hears the Bears are going to go QB at 3. Greg Gabriel also "feels strongly" that the Bears are going to pick a QB at 3 and that he thinks they are targeting Watson. Hub Arkush and Erk Galko have both added that the strongest QB-team connection they have heard is the Bears and Watson. Aaron Leming if you choose to believe him has also said that he has heard the Bears feel very strongly about Watson. If the Bears have these types of feelings about him I doubt they move down and I doubt they risk losing him. It will be seen as a reach, but Pace himself said the thing he is looking for is some who "raised the program" and no one did more of that than Watson.

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[36] to the Arizona Cardinals for 2[25], 4[119], 5[179]. The Cardinals select QB Davis Webb [Cal]

The Bears want to move down in the draft has been reported a lot. I do not think that the 1st round is going to lend itself to a move down as they want a QB and I would not risk losing "your guy" and who are the players that people are moving up for. The 2nd round is where I think they can move down, especially if the 2nd round is as strong as people predict. The Bears also had a ton of success doing it last year.

2[45] OT Dion Dawkins [Temple] 6'4" 314lbs, 5.11 [40], 26 reps, 26" vert

One of the biggest failings of the Cutler era was the Bears inability to provide better than average, sometimes much worse pass protection. In back to back draft Pace has taken an interior player in the 2nd round [Goldman, Whitehair] and had arguably his 2 best picks. I see no reason that he will depart from that. The Bears tried to upgrade at OT in free agency [Ricky Wagner] and with a young starter [Glennon] and a rookie [Watson] improving the OL is important. The Cowboys showed the easiest way to have success with a young QB is to have a dominant line. Dawkins has played LT for Temple, but I would expect that he would compete and take Massie's job. 6'4" is not ideal height for an OT but he has 35" arms and really good feet. I also think if Leno is injured that Dawkins could play LT, which is a huge weakness for the Bears right now. Dawkins was with the Bears at the Senior Bowl.

3[67] DE Jaleel Johnson [Iowa] 6'3" 316lbs, 5.38 [40], 19 reps, 28" vert

Again in back to back drafts Pace has taken lineman and built in the trenches. The Bears were also rumored to be trying to upgrade the DE spot with Ricky Jean-Francois and were unable to land him. The Bears DL depth was brutal last season, this led to them struggling against the run and the defense suffering. By adding Johnson you get bigger, more physical up front and add a player that can play DE and NT and can immediatly play on running downs. Johnson played for the Bears at the Senior Bowl and had a strong week.

4[111] CB Rasual Douglas [West Virginia] 6'2" 209lbs, 4.59 [40], 33.5" vert, 16 reps, 10' broad

The secondary is the one position where the Bears seem to have added a lot of bodies, with varying degrees of upside. Last season we saw the Bears invest 2x 4th round picks in the secondary and I think they can do the same thing and add more talent and competition. Fangio has always invested in the front 7 far more than the secondary when he was in SF and had the most success. The Bears coached Douglas at the Senior Bowl, he has the size and length that they look for, and he intercepted a ton of passes last season.

4[117] S Delano Hill [Michigan] 6'1" 216lbs, 4.47 [40], 17 reps, 33" vert, 9'7" broad

With Hall, Bush and potentiall Amos moving from FS to SS the Bears have some young talent at the S position across from Demps. None of them are proven and the Bears need to add another player to compete and provide depth. Hill fits the hard hitting physical mold that Fangio looks for in his SS. He can hit and is a sound tackler and having been coached by Harbaugh I think that Fangio may be able to get some inside info, or at least know that he knows how to play tough defense.

4[119] WR Kenny Golladay [Northern Illinois] 6'4" 218lbs, 4.5 [40], 18 reps, 35.5", 10' broad

A local product who was in for a private workout he has the physical dimensions and athletic ability that Pace has prioritized in outside WRs like White and Meredith. Golladay is a big, physical WR that can come in and develop and more than likely contribute on special teams. The Bears talked about wanting playmakers and Golladay at 21 TDs in 2 years and an average of 13.2 yards per catch.

​5[147] TE Michael Roberts [Toledo] 6'4" 270lbs, 4.86 [40], 30" vert

The Bears add another Senior Bowl player and John Fox has talked at length about running the football and I think that becomes even more important with young QBs on the roster. There is also a difference between running the football and being able to run the football whenever you want. Roberts is a TE similar to Dion Sims that can flat out block in the run game. If the Bears want to run the ball and then work off play action they need to consistently move people. Added to his run blocking that Roberts is a red zone nightmare he has added value. Watson needs to develop his accuracy, but he has always done well with big physical targets and Roberts fits that mold.

5[147] OLB Deatrich Wise [Arkansas] 6'6" 271lbs, 4.92 [40], 22 reps, 33" vert, 10'5" broad

I would expect the Bears to add an OLB at some point in the draft so that they can begin the process of developing players to take over for McPhee and Houston who are both always injured. Wise has the size, length, and ability against the run to be the base OLB and set the edge while Floyd chases plays. Wise need some time to develop and has not been asked to drop in his career so the Bears can start the process while they still have some quality reps from McPhee. Wise in 2017 should provide them a big body that can contribute on multiple special teams replacing Washington.

​7[220] WR Jehu Chesson [Michigan] 6'3" 207lbs, 4.47 [40], 35" vert, 10 reps

Going back to Michigan, Chesson is big, can run, and most importantly can block. His way on to the team is on special teams and hopefully replacing Bellamy as the teams gunner. Bellamy offers no upside as a WR so hopefully Chesson can play special teams while also developing something at WR.

Depth Chart

QB: Glennon, Watson, Sanchez
RB: Howard, Langford, Carey, Cunningham
WR: Meredith, White, Wheaton, Wright, Golladay, Bellamy/Chesson
TE: Sims, Miller, Brown, Roberts
LT: Leno
LG: Sitton, Kush
C: Whitehair, Grasu
RG: Long
RT: Dawkins/Massie, Compton

RE: Bullard, Johnson, Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, Jenkins
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Young
ILB: Freeman, Timu
ILB: Trevathan, Kwaitowski, Anderson
OLB: McPhee, Houston, Wise
CB: Amukamara, Cooper, Fuller, Douglas, Callahan, Leblanc
FS: Demps, Hall
SS: Hill/Bush/Amos
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down with this. Jaleel Johnson is a beast. I continue to try to fit him into my mock and I just unfortunately cannot
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just makes too much sense to me to

1. Draft the best QB at 3.

2. Sit him for all of 2017, maybe some week 14-17 action.

3. Develop him.

4. Add more talent in 2018 to the team.

5. Have an honest to god competition in 2018.
G08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

3. Develop him.

5. Have an honest to god competition in 2018.

My mind is starting to come back around to this line of thinking as well.

1. Watson or Trubisky
2. Best corner available
3. Best pass rusher, 5T, or TE available
4. Project swing tackle
BPA rest of the way

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
IotaNet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

3. Develop him.

5. Have an honest to God competition in 2018. (Fixed that for you)

My mind is starting to come back around to this line of thinking as well. ...
I've been saying this for weeks now. Good to see cats I respect (G08 & Windy) seeing the wisdom of this line of thinking.

A big part of what the Bears' brass needs to be selling is HOPE & SIZZLE. Deshaun Watson would provide a great deal of both. (Find a way to add Jabrill Peppers to the mix and you'd see even more of it!) Fans need something to believe in.

Glennon is not going to take you to the Super Bowl although he can get you to .500 and in 2017, that's all the Bears need -- respectability. You let Watson develop -- slowly -- iron out the kinks in his accuracy and learn the NFL. 2018 comes around and we got a whole new ball game.

Last edited by IotaNet on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
G08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes a ton of sense for a multitude of reasons (not in order of importance):

It identifies Pace's franchise guy AND buys him more time as a GM

Glennon gives Fox the "veteran" QB that he so desperately craves

Watson is not NFL ready, watching him try to spit out simple verbiage in a huddle was scary (seriously, he froze up and had to stare at Gruden to repeat the call)

Watson also will greatly benefit from knowing he will not touch the football field in 2017 (save for maybe 1 or 2 games at the end of the season) and instead can solely focus on his mechanics and learning an NFL offense and how to read NFL defenses

Sure, we will miss out on a top corner/safety/pass rusher at #3, but this is a deep draft and we can land a first round talent at corner/safety in round 2

I love it, I'm firmly on board with it, I just didn't think that this would honestly be an option after we signed Glennon. I guess we'll see!

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
HuskieBear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bro, you need next week to come sooner than anyone i know. you have about 18 mock drafts on this first page
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HuskieBear wrote:
Bro, you need next week to come sooner than anyone i know. you have about 18 mock drafts on this first page

2 more coming, then I am done.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Campbell and I were tweeting about this and he was on board with my line of thinking.

If the Bears pass on taking a top ranked QB and roll into the 2017 season with Glennon and no one else.

The Bears go 6-10, which would be a 3 game turn around which is a lot in the NFL. Glennon plays as a replacement level starter, which he has shown in the past.

The Bears are now 15-33 in 3 years and they do no have a future to sell at the QB position.

If I am Pace and I am 15-33 in 3 years I want to be able to say "yeah we are 15-33 but we have Watson coming in 2018".

I do not want to say " we are 15-33 and we need to start the QB search from scratch again."
G08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo stalker status, I know who you are now on twitter! Laughing

GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah I found him too Laughing

Way too obvious when he's talking about how many losses it takes to get Fox fired

^^ props to LBC on the sig Smile
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Ah yeah I found him too Laughing

Way too obvious when he's talking about how many losses it takes to get Fox fired

Just follow the negative Bears tweets and you will find me.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Bears are 15-33 and there answer at QB is a mediocre Glennon than I think it is reasonable for people to call for Ryan Pace's job as well as John Fox.

You cannot lose 30+ games, have 3 top 10 picks, and not have attempted to address the QB position. I am sorry to me that show a fundamental lack of football knowledge.

I just do not see what a steady 4 technique or SS is actually going to do for this team?
G08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
If the Bears are 15-33 and there answer at QB is a mediocre Glennon than I think it is reasonable for people to call for Ryan Pace's job as well as John Fox.

You cannot lose 30+ games, have 3 top 10 picks, and not have attempted to address the QB position. I am sorry to me that show a fundamental lack of football knowledge.

I just do not see what a steady 4 technique or SS is actually going to do for this team?

What if... and hear me out... what if Pace actually likes Glennon more than Watson/Trubisky/Mahomes with one year on the bench?

IotaNet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
...What if... and hear me out... what if Pace actually likes Glennon more than Watson/Trubisky/Mahomes with one year on the bench?
That's a longshot bet for a first-time NFL GM.

WindyCity wrote:
... I just do not see what a steady 4 technique or SS is actually going to do for this team?
This. Right. Here.

The Bears' fanbase is growing increasingly restless. 1985 was a long time ago and Bears fans are getting really tired of rooting for a team that is totally irrelevant. It doesn't help that since '85, every other major sports team in town has won a championship. (I hadn't realized this until I started writing it ... wild, isn't it?)

McCaskey, Pace, and Fox are going to have to do something to inject some spirit and hope back into this franchise and adding some spark to this roster via the draft is a good way to do so.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: