Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings Position Poll (The Draft 2nd Round)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Position Do you Want Addressed in Round 2?
OG
59%
 59%  [ 13 ]
DT
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
RB
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
OLB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OT
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
TE
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
WR
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
S
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
OC
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Vikings Position Poll (The Draft 2nd Round) Reply with quote

So, I know that we have kind of a split on what positions we wanted to see drafted, while we probably have some that we want to have picked sooner rather than later, all of us might want to see OG, DT, and RB for example, the order of importance is up in the air. I want to try and get through the first five picks to see what our consensus for those needs are before the draft starts.

I'm going with my choices for what I think the top needs are, but I'm trying to be very inclusive of those needs. I'm leaving off positions that seem to be filled or don't make sense to draft in round two (or three or four) like punter and kicker, but otherwise I'm hitting most.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best available OL.

If that player is an OT, move Remmers inside.

If that player is a C, move Berger to RG.

If that player is an OG, that would probably be ideal.

OL needs to be top priority. Signing mediocre at best free agents (Reiff, Boone, Remmers) isn't a good way to build an OL. The Vikes need some real talent up front or the OL woes will continue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best available player, regardless of position.

Can't handicap yourself into picking a lesser player because they may play a position of need.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Order:

- If a 1st round talent drops, you take them regardless

(If there is a bunch of guys all valued equally):

- DT --- we don't have a strong DT on the roster for the current or longterm. The depth of the draft at the DT is not hugely strong to me. DT is on of the most important positions and I live by the philosophy of the game is won in the trenches. (ideal 2nd round pick)

- "OL" --- best available OL, whether its OT, G or C. Existing OL players can be moved around to accomodate. If a potential LT is there, its elevated, and if its G/C, I could wait till the 3rd, since I feel there is good OL depth in the draft. OL is worthy of 2 selections within our first 5 selections. (ideal 3rd (#1) round + 4th (#1) round pick)

- LB --- I feel we don't really have a suitable 3rd LB, and LB is a position that can be more prone to injuries due to Barr/Eric moving back and forth in space with speed. Defense could be very handicapped if either miss time. (ideal 3rd (#2) round pick)

- "DB" --- best available DB, either CB or S is another place I would like to go. Draft depth of the DB/CB position & since we don't have any current starting spots open, allows me to delay the selection. If Harry goes down to injury, we're also in trouble. (ideal 4th (#2) round pick)

2nd DT
3rd (#1) OL
3rd (#2) LB
4th (#1) OL
4th (#2) DB

Notes:
I think we are okay with the receiving targets at WR/TE, where I don't think it needs to be addressed early. I am also comfortable with Murray/Jet at the RB position for this year, where I didn't think it needed to be addressed early. The 'hopeful' OL improvements should have a bigger impact on the Run game then the RB. Likewise OL improvements should provide Bradford more time in the pocket to deliver balls to Rudolph/Adam/Diggs/Treadwell/Wright.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:

Can't handicap yourself into picking a lesser player because they may play a position of need.

I agree, but have a slightly modified opinion...it's the best available player according to need. Generally, there'll be a handful of players that could be considered BPA at a certain point in the draft. Those players should then be grouped together and ordered according to need at the position.

In the case of this 2nd round pick, the highest positions of need are clearly OG, DT, and RB. So, whether the BPAs at that point in the draft are at those positions or not, we won't know. It's quite possible that they may not be and that the BPAs may include WRs and DBs. The option in that case would be to either trade down or take one of them and hope to get the other needs filled later.

Thx to Lil Uno!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:

I don't think teams operate this way with early picks. Filling needs is always paramount, just have to balance value with those needs. If the Vikes draft another CB because of BPA, the team will be handicapping itself in 2017 as we saw last year with how little rookies contributed. MN needs to find a couple of immediate impact rookies.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:

I don't think teams operate this way with early picks. Filling needs is always paramount, just have to balance value with those needs. If the Vikes draft another CB because of BPA, the team will be handicapping itself in 2017 as we saw last year with how little rookies contributed. MN needs to find a couple of immediate impact rookies.

I agree that it is generally BPA but BPA weighted by need, but the reason for asking this is kind of figuring out the need levels as scene by the board. So, while I think that you have to draft BPA and we want to see htem draft BPA, it's about figuring out how many people are going to be annoyed a week from Friday based on where the Vikings decide to address team needs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:

I agree that it is generally BPA but BPA weighted by need, but the reason for asking this is kind of figuring out the need levels as scene by the board. So, while I think that you have to draft BPA and we want to see htem draft BPA, it's about figuring out how many people are going to be annoyed a week from Friday based on where the Vikings decide to address team needs.

Im sure there will be plenty. However, where the Vikes are picking in rd 2, I think the concept of reaching starts to get lost. Draft boards from team to team begin to vary so much at this stage in the draft, it might be a crapshoot to actually understand who is BPA in the mind of professional GMs vs fans.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be fine with literally any position. A QB would probably be my last choice, but if they think a good one is available and they are still unsure about Teddy I would understand the pick.

Just go pure BPA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to be a lot of quality DTs in round two, I'd go that direction if there is a major run on OL. S, LB and RB could all be in play.

Struggling to see a scenario where QB, DE, CB, WR or TE are pursued in round two.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I choose guard. Preferably, it's someone who will compete for starting RG in training camp. It would also be great if this person could also be plugged in at LG and C as needed.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's pick the best player available based on our needs!

*mind elevation*

I'm glad though that I'm not the first person to mention (didn't read the comments.. Rock on disaacs!) But I think this is the most sensible approach.

For the poll option, I picked DT because I'm biased.

5 names I'm interested in:

Dorian Johnson
Curtis Samuel
Malik McDowell
Joe Nixon
Dan Feeney

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
In Order:

- If a 1st round talent drops, you take them regardless

(If there is a bunch of guys all valued equally):

- DT --- we don't have a strong DT on the roster for the current or longterm. The depth of the draft at the DT is not hugely strong to me. DT is on of the most important positions and I live by the philosophy of the game is won in the trenches. (ideal 2nd round pick)

- "OL" --- best available OL, whether its OT, G or C. Existing OL players can be moved around to accomodate. If a potential LT is there, its elevated, and if its G/C, I could wait till the 3rd, since I feel there is good OL depth in the draft. OL is worthy of 2 selections within our first 5 selections. (ideal 3rd (#1) round + 4th (#1) round pick)

- LB --- I feel we don't really have a suitable 3rd LB, and LB is a position that can be more prone to injuries due to Barr/Eric moving back and forth in space with speed. Defense could be very handicapped if either miss time. (ideal 3rd (#2) round pick)

- "DB" --- best available DB, either CB or S is another place I would like to go. Draft depth of the DB/CB position & since we don't have any current starting spots open, allows me to delay the selection. If Harry goes down to injury, we're also in trouble. (ideal 4th (#2) round pick)

2nd DT
3rd (#1) OL
3rd (#2) LB
4th (#1) OL
4th (#2) DB

Notes:
I think we are okay with the receiving targets at WR/TE, where I don't think it needs to be addressed early. I am also comfortable with Murray/Jet at the RB position for this year, where I didn't think it needed to be addressed early. The 'hopeful' OL improvements should have a bigger impact on the Run game then the RB. Likewise OL improvements should provide Bradford more time in the pocket to deliver balls to Rudolph/Adam/Diggs/Treadwell/Wright.

Not QB, TE, RB, WR imo.

If Floyd is iffy at all, I agree with this 100%. If they think Floyd will be fine, I probably flip OL and DT. But, to me, those are the two biggest needs. And yes, teams do draft for need in rounds 1 and 2 all the time. It's why so many rookies start now, even on the Patriots and other great teams most years.
Boda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have 1 position I'm locking into per round. Ideally I'd like one of:
OL - Taylor Moton
OG - Dorian Johnson
OG - Dan Feeney
DT - Malik McDowell
DT - Chris Wormley
OLB - TJ Watt
OLB - Takkarist McKinley

Now if I had to choose just one out of that group I'd have a very hard time but I think I'd go with Malik McDowell but passing on Moton, Feeney & Watt would be very hard to do.
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG without hesitation. Reiff and Remmers are big improvements on the outside as run blockers but nothing has been done to strengthen the interior. I am not sold on Easton going forward and I think Berger will struggle playing RG. I just hope there is someone available worth taking. If not then I go DB/S or DT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: