Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let's Debate : Is Now The Time to Draft Ben's Successor?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a guy is there that they like, I have no problem at all in taking him to develop. This team will most likely draft late in the draft the next two years.

If they like Mahomes or Kizer I'd take him at the end of the 1st. Mahomes is a wild card and is risky. Kizer just needed to stay in school and develop.

There is no consensus for our pick. There are so many possibilities and scenarios for this draft.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id take the chance of Ben retiring next year and having to look for a QB next year, rather than spend a first on any first round QB this year.

Drafting out of sheer desperation is foolish. Do we need a future QB? Yes. Should we overdraft one this year because we MIGHT need one in 2018? Hell no....especially when we are still trying to win a SB right now with our current QB.

And the Mahomes comparisons to Rodgers continue to be laughable. Just because he has some similar traits to what Rodgers has doesnt mean he is anywhere close. Rodgers needed work coming out, but not nearly as much as Mahomes. Mahomes arm is nowhere close to Rodgers. His mechanics are laughably bad to the point where Im not even entirely sure they can be fixed....THAT bad. I dont hate Mahomes in general, and he could end up being a really good QB, but would I bet a first round pick on it? No chance....and I likely wouldnt even consider him until the late third. He wont last that long, but I wont shed any tears.

Kaaya or Mahomes in the 3rd round. Mahomes will get overdrafted, but Kaaya might fall.

We better not even look at Kizer unless he goes undrafted..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Id take the chance of Ben retiring next year and having to look for a QB next year, rather than spend a first on any first round QB this year.

Drafting out of sheer desperation is foolish. Do we need a future QB? Yes. Should we overdraft one this year because we MIGHT need one in 2018? Hell no....especially when we are still trying to win a SB right now with our current QB.

And the Mahomes comparisons to Rodgers continue to be laughable. Just because he has some similar traits to what Rodgers has doesnt mean he is anywhere close. Rodgers needed work coming out, but not nearly as much as Mahomes. Mahomes arm is nowhere close to Rodgers. His mechanics are laughably bad to the point where Im not even entirely sure they can be fixed....THAT bad. I dont hate Mahomes in general, and he could end up being a really good QB, but would I bet a first round pick on it? No chance....and I likely wouldnt even consider him until the late third. He wont last that long, but I wont shed any tears.

Kaaya or Mahomes in the 3rd round. Mahomes will get overdrafted, but Kaaya might fall.

Louis Riddick was on ESPN yesterday and said there has been talks that Mahommes has skyrocketed into top 10 talk!!

If that's the case, there is no way he even makes it to us at 30, less the 3rd round.

Mad props to Uncle Buck on the sig!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LayTheWood56 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Louis Riddick was on ESPN yesterday and said there has been talks that Mahommes has skyrocketed into top 10 talk!!

If that's the case, there is no way he even makes it to us at 30, less the 3rd round.

I wont be shocked. Im not a huge fan of his, but worse QB prospects have went in the top 10.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
LayTheWood56 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I wont be shocked. Im not a huge fan of his, but worse QB prospects have went in the top 10.

A couple of teams are going to make some really bad decisions this year. They are going to talk themselves into a QB because it's a bad class and they need one. So they will overrate the good traits and tell themselves that they can coach the bad ones out.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have too many other needs to draft a QB this year. I think they need to let Ben retire and take a season where they suck and get a top 15 pick then get a QB.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
warfelg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
They have too many other needs to draft a QB this year. I think they need to let Ben retire and take a season where they suck and get a top 15 pick then get a QB.

I really think he needs to find a way to trade down, stock pile a few picks, so he has the ability to move up in the year Ben does retire.

If we get to 30 and Keizer/Watson are still there, I would let one of the teams in the early second give up like 2 2nds or a 1st, 2nd, 5th to get that pick; and have the ammo to move up in a year with some better QB's available.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that I like many of the QBs available even a late round flyer. I would probably hold off another year.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
skywlker32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
I can't say that I like many of the QBs available even a late round flyer. I would probably hold off another year.

Even the later round QBs will get overdrafted this year with this weak class of QBs. If the Steelers are smart, they sit back and wait for the better class next year and get better value out of picking a QB.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the time like now I am trying to put aside my feelings for drafting a quarterback.

We don't know if Big Ben is retiring next season or not.

The Steelers are looking at the quarterbacks, they even had dinner with them. That's what I'm paying attention to.

If anything, I'm banking on a QB in second round not because I think those quarterbacks are worth it but the draft is solid and trading down may not give us much of value. Is it nice to stocking picks? Sure but will those specific players fall? Not always. We have seen where teams like the Browns and Patriots had many picks and those players sum up to be nobodies.

It won't be Mahomes. You best bet on it's either Brad Kaaya or Joshua Dobbs. Dobbs' stock have been increasing. He's very intellectual.
kurgan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, I know it is hard to compare at this point, but there are some great QB's coming out in the next couple of years. Josh Allen at Wyoming is a great QB, Rudolph at Ok State, Rosen at UCLA, Darnold at USC. Those are next year. After that are guys like Eason at UGA, Patterson at Ole Miss, and whoever emerges at other places.

I would rather WAIT and draft when we need one, but understand the logic of drafting one now to develop. But, with the Ben window closing, I just see a hard time taking a guy that is going to sit. AND, if Ben is retiring next year, are we all comfortable with Brad Kaaya being our QB?? I would guess not.

If I were a betting man, Ben and the Rooneys have a relationship where Ben, like Heath, tells everyone, "hey, this is my last year." Then we worry about it. Until then, it is smoke and mirrors.

DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

undrafted? lol he probably wont make it out of the 2nd based on his skill set and mechanics alone...he has great over the top delivery and his feet are perfect especially when scanning the field and amazing pump fake... his inconsistency and behavior when the pocket gets warm are his true flaws...but compared to mahomes his mechanics are stellar.....throw in system worries and kizer is better..teams clearly see this so they will draft him in the 2nd...maybe 3rd...but i doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you compare an incoming rookie QB with ZERO NFL experience except by comparing his traits with a known and proven QB? I hear many saying mechanics are horrible and blah blah. Tell us which part of his mechanics are jacked up. So, if he was impressive with "horrible jacked up mechanics" imagine how good he will be once they are "fixed"! I don't put my personal feelings into players and if anyone does, then that's not healthy Laughing

MAHOMES COMP/ATT COMP% YARDS TD/INT QB RATING
857/1359 64 11,252 93/29 152

LUCK 713/1064 67 9,430 82/22 163

WINSTON 562/851 66 7,964 65/28 163

Aaron Rodgers, if you watch the Packers, doesn't always use solid fundamentals. He plays similar to Brett Favre did but was a better decision maker and Rodgers Mastered the back shoulder throw. Watch 5 minutes of Aaron Rodgers and then watch 5 minutes of Mahomes and I guarantee that you will see a similar player.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JLambert58

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
How do you compare an incoming rookie QB with ZERO NFL experience except by comparing his traits with a known and proven QB? I hear many saying mechanics are horrible and blah blah. Tell us which part of his mechanics are jacked up. So, if he was impressive with "horrible jacked up mechanics" imagine how good he will be once they are "fixed"! I don't put my personal feelings into players and if anyone does, then that's not healthy Laughing

MAHOMES COMP/ATT COMP% YARDS TD/INT QB RATING
857/1359 64 11,252 93/29 152

LUCK 713/1064 67 9,430 82/22 163

WINSTON 562/851 66 7,964 65/28 163

Aaron Rodgers, if you watch the Packers, doesn't always use solid fundamentals. He plays similar to Brett Favre did but was a better decision maker and Rodgers Mastered the back shoulder throw. Watch 5 minutes of Aaron Rodgers and then watch 5 minutes of Mahomes and I guarantee that you will see a similar player.

I like Mahomes. I think he has big potential/upside. The Favre analogy is one I made weeks ago. Gunslinger mentality that plays the game with lots of fire and enthusiasm and competitiveness with a great arm. That aspect is what I like about him. The thing that bothers me most about Mahomes is not necessarily that his mechanics are bad - which they are - but that he is WILDLY inconsistent with his mechanics. On some throws he looks like a polished pro and on others, a complete backyard hack. Can it be fixed? Probably - I mean his dad was a major league pitcher - but that should preclude him from being taken in the first two rounds imo. At least by us.

If he fell to the 3rd, Ok, but not before.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol... I was the one who brought up the Favre comparison on here.

Anyway, Mahomes aren't passing by the Texans.

It is very likely the guy is Brad Kaaya and if not him, Joshua Dobbs.

This should be a good news for y'all.

If we draft a quarterback, it is because there were no other best player available.

If we don't, it is because there is.

We win either ways.

Also, don't expect a trade down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: