Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Let's Debate : Is Now The Time to Draft Ben's Successor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Let's Debate : Is Now The Time to Draft Ben's Successor? Reply with quote

Seeing as we're just a week plus away from the draft, it's time we start discussing this in a legitimate matter.

Big Ben is pushing it age wise at this point. It's only a matter of time before he rides off into the sunset. This team right now may be the last legitimate push we have at a Super Bowl for awhile if we lose Ben very soon to retirement.

So let us take the time to discuss this.

Is this draft when we do it?
Should we continue to focus on rebuilding around the future QB
Is there anyone worth the pick this year if they do?
If they do, who will you react to it? Knee-jerk on their part? Right time?

Let us not forget how long they waited to grab a QB after Bradshaw left and the void it left for awhile, especially without that elite QB. Hell, it took 5 years after Hampton retired to get a legit NT and we saw what impact that had on our defense (which heavily relies on a NT).

So, where do they go from here? Landry Jones is clearly NOT the answer.

I've heard rumors that the team is interested in Patrick Mahomes. Seems a lot of teams see him as a Brett Favre, in comparison. Do the Steelers use an early pick on him after temporarily adding depth in some areas of need in free agency? Or do we build through this draft and wait for a good QB class and go all in for a better QB?

(Please keep this civil. There are no wrong answers or opinions here.)
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Let's Debate : Is Now The Time to Draft Ben's Successor? Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:

HELL to the NO.

Ive been saying for about 5 years that 2018 is the earliest Id start looking for Ben's replacement.

On top of that, this is an ugly QB class. Several QBs will get overdrafted because of that.

Earliest Id even remotely consider QB is the 3rd round COMP if Kaaya or MAYBE Mahomes fell and they were clearly the BPA.

Quote:
Should we continue to focus on rebuilding around the future QB

???

No...we should continue to focus on building around the CURRENT QB.

Why are so many Steeler fans so focused on moving on from Ben? I get that he is getting older, but the chances of us finding a QB anywhere close to him anytime soon is extremely thin. EVERYONE, from fans the front office should be more focused on winning another SB with number 7....because we could very well be in for some dark years ahead, even if we do draft a QB early at some point in the next few years.

Quote:
Is there anyone worth the pick this year if they do?

There is not a single QB in this draft IMO worth more than a late 2nd, and thats the absolute earliest for a QB needy team.

But, several will be overdrafted because its a weak class in a QB driven league.

Quote:
If they do, who will you react to it? Knee-jerk on their part? Right time?

If we draft a QB in the first, I will lose a ton of confidence in this current front office. They didnt do anything in FA despite numerous needs, and if they start off the draft by overdrafting a QB, it will just prove they are building towards the future instead of going all in with 7 like they should.

Again, 3rd round is the ABSOLUTE earliest that I wouldnt be necessarily be upset if we drafted a QB....and even then I wouldnt be too happy. Id much rather wait until next year.

Quote:
Let us not forget how long they waited to grab a QB after Bradshaw left and the void it left for awhile, especially without that elite QB.

Okay....but this is a completely different situation, so Im not seeing your point.

Quote:
Hell, it took 5 years after Hampton retired to get a legit NT and we saw what impact that had on our defense (which heavily relies on a NT).

Thats because NTs like Hampton dont come along very often, and are almost non-existent in todays league.

Again, not really seeing the correlation to us drafting a QB THIS year.

Quote:
So, where do they go from here? Landry Jones is clearly NOT the answer.

No one thinks he is.

He is a straight backup. Nothing more.

Quote:
I've heard rumors that the team is interested in Patrick Mahomes. Seems a lot of teams see him as a Brett Favre, in comparison.

Alot of terrible comparisons floating around.

Quote:
Do the Steelers use an early pick on him after temporarily adding depth in some areas of need in free agency?

If he falls to the 3rd, sure.

If they draft him earlier than that, someone should be fired IMO.

Quote:
Or do we build through this draft and wait for a good QB class and go all in for a better QB?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes

Given the current trend of QB's from the 3rd round down and being overlooked

This is the perfect Draft..it's filled with Big Arm Big Guys that are mobile but still pocket passers......From kizer and Mahomes to Kaya to Dobbs even the raw Jerrod Evans...big guys big arms ...love to move.....it's perfect ...and we dont have to worry until the 3rd round..even mahomes or kizer might fall enough for us to trade back into the 2nd and snag them.

it's another underrated qb class ful of daks and russells..only taller lol full of intriging wild cards like davis and kelly...go for it

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not a chance. 43 summed it up pretty good. We need to build thisteam to win now. Only way I take a QB is if somehow someone slips .
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahomes worth a late 1st IMO.

However, with how hard it is to find a QB anyways...why not build around the one you have now???
warfelg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Mahomes worth a late 1st IMO.

However, with how hard it is to find a QB anyways...why not build around the one you have now???

Do not agree at all. He's a down field throwing, non-off the field headache, non-winning Johnny Manziel.

Rewatching his tape I saw way too many risky throws when playing on time. Didn't play within the play a whole lot, sometimes getting spooked in the pocket for no reason. Had open guys with sure yards quite often and passed up that play to try a bigger one.

He's still got quite a bit of development to do. I see a Jeff Garcia like player at best.

I'm not spending a 1st on him when we have so many other needs that could help us win right now.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
kurgan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

43 did a great job, I will just add my 2 cents.

I have no issue with taking a QB after 4 as a developmental guy. We have a QB that has 2-5 years left and needs weapons and we are on the cusp of a run. If we burn a draftpick on a guy that is not going to play, that will be counter productive. It would be the same as saying that we should draft a backup RB in the second for when Bell gets hurt, and we all know that when healthy, he gets 95% of the snaps. We all are OK with taking a RB later, but not early. Why is QB different?

Honestly, what QB right now in this draft, if Ben retired, could command this team to the championship?? ... Sure, Mahomes looks good, but is that real or in context??

I dont care if Mahomes or Watson is there at 30, we get who can help us NOW!!! CB, S, OLB. Hell, even a WR at this point. If we draft Mahomes and Ben plays 3 more years, we are now asking the questions about him, but he is 3 years older now. Meanwhile, the QB pool will get better the next couple of years.

armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The time is now. Ben is not Brady. Meaning he doesn't want to play forever with all the injuries he acquired as a younger QB. Health is more important than whiny [inappropriate/removed] fans who complain when you play poorly but fail to understand how his body is falling apart.

I think this is Ben's final season. A QB will be drafted in the first three rounds during this draft. Love it. Like it. Hate it. But it will happen. Anyone want to sig bet on it? Smile

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
warfelg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Yes. The time is now. Ben is not Brady. Meaning he doesn't want to play forever with all the injuries he acquired as a younger QB. Health is more important than whiny [inappropriate/removed] fans who complain when you play poorly but fail to understand how his body is falling apart.

I think this is Ben's final season. A QB will be drafted in the first three rounds during this draft. Love it. Like it. Hate it. But it will happen. Anyone want to sig bet on it? Smile

The problem is I don't see a QB worth it unless its Kaaya in the 3rd.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

Value is hard for me because is hard to understand what the team determines one's worth upon. Malhomes is a stud! No way is close to Jeff Garcia Laughing who in his pri,e was a beast.

My comparison for Malhomes is Aaron Rodgers. Mechanics with QBs isn't something I'm good at dissecting. Malhomes has power, touch, accuracy, vision, awareness and high football IQ, seems coachable based on his interviews, can scramble and has quick release, etc... all of those are traits that I can build upon.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take a flyer on Chad Kelly in the late Rds (6 OR 7). Talent-wise he's 1st Rd material. Psyche-wise he's an UDFA. Let him sit behind Ben for 2 years. Learn the game. See if he's matured. If he has, great! Give him the reigns after Ben retires and see if he can be a legit starter. If he proves to still be immature then he's an easy cut.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
warfelg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
warfelg wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

Value is hard for me because is hard to understand what the team determines one's worth upon. Malhomes is a stud! No way is close to Jeff Garcia Laughing who in his pri,e was a beast.

My comparison for Malhomes is Aaron Rodgers. Mechanics with QBs isn't something I'm good at dissecting. Malhomes has power, touch, accuracy, vision, awareness and high football IQ, seems coachable based on his interviews, can scramble and has quick release, etc... all of those are traits that I can build upon.

No just no. He's nothing like one of the most physically talented QB's ever.

Hahahahaha.

armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
armsteeld wrote:
warfelg wrote:
armsteeld wrote:

No just no. He's nothing like one of the most physically talented QB's ever.

Why not? I just listed all his traits that are similar to Rodgers. Mechanics and decision making (trying to muscle throws between defenders) is the only knocks against this guy that I can see.

JLambert58

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:

Agree that Ben will not finish his career like Brady. He's been hit too many times and injured too many times. On top of that, he doesn't take care of his body the way Brady does. (from the evidence I can gather) But I think if he's physically capable, he will play out his contract (3 yrs.) If for not love/passion for the game, then to set up his family even better financially than they already are.

But let's say for the sake of argument he's only got two years left. Is there anyone in the draft you really LOVE as a franchise QB? I think Kayaa has potential but he's still raw. (ditto Dobbs) Mahomes is a big question mark. I really hope the FO is just doing their due diligence to make sure they know if there is a hidden gem in the bunch.

I'm not in favor of QB at all, but given that we do have 8 picks, I will trust the FO to make the right decision if they find a guy they really like.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's Debate : Is Now The Time to Draft Ben's Successor? Reply with quote

[quote="FourThreeMafia"]
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Quote:
Let us not forget how long they waited to grab a QB after Bradshaw left and the void it left for awhile, especially without that elite QB.

That was a different situation as 43mafia stated. The Steelers had selected Mark Malone #1 in 1980. They had a competent back-up in Cliff Stout and they had an aging Bradshaw. The team was said to love Jim Kelly and Todd Blackledge but had no chance of drafting him. They felt like they never had a chance to draft Dan Marino as everyone thought he would have been long gone.

In one of the franchises worst moves, they passed on a local hero and future HOF QB who would probably have us playing for SB rings on our toes by now. The talent of the 1983 draft was overly rich with Elway, Kelly, Blackledge, Eason and Marino. The Jets took Ken O'Brien as well in round one. Three of those QB's are HOF'ers. The Steelers got Blackledge later in his career, but he didn't do much here or in KC.

This draft class has some talented guys, but no one like Elway, Marino, Kelly, Eason or Blackledge coming out of college. In fact take this draft class and put it in the last QB class with Eli, Phillip and Ben and the best would all be considered 3rd or 4th round talents at the earliest. Because of need these guys are getting moved up. Every year teams do this and every year teams fail and wonder why.

We have a future HOF QB who needs to get all his weapons back and stay healthy. He still has another ring or two in him. No rookie is going to realistically lead this team to #7. Get the pieces around the talent we have, pray that our Killer B's stay healthy, Pouncey stays healthy, improve our pass rush and pass defense and we have as good a shot as anyone to win the SB next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: