Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers Mock with 1st ROUND TRADE DOWN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatalystNX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Panthers Mock with 1st ROUND TRADE DOWN Reply with quote

There's been a lot of talk about the possibility of us trading up into the top-5 to secure either Leonard Fournette or possibly one of the top safeties.

However, in this mock draft I decided to explore a different scenario: what if the Panthers end up trading down instead of up? Here's what I came up with.

--------------------------------

THE SCENARIO:
01: CLE: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
02. SF: Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
03. CHI: Jamal Adams, S, LSU
04. JAX: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
05. TEN: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
06. NYJ: Mitchell Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
07. LAC: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

With Mitchell Trubisky off the board to the Jets, the QB needy teams picking later in the round start to gets antsy, particularly with Buffalo picking before them at #10 and the Browns at #12.

Arizona, fearing both teams could take QB's, offer their 2nd and 5th round selections to the Panthers for the #8 pick. With most of the consensus elite prospects off the board, the Panthers take the deal.

08. ARZ: Pat Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
09. CIN: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama
10. BUF: Haason Reddick, LB, Temple
11. NO: Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
12. CLE: Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

The Panthers use the 13th pick on O.J. Howard, who in this scenario is the clear BPA with the possible exception of Christian McCaffrey. With the choice being clearly between those two, the Panthers opt for Howard and decide to target a RB later in the draft.

To that end, the Panthers use their three 2nd rounders on Obi Melifonwu (S), Chris Godwin (WR), and finally get their RB in Oklahoma's Samaje Perine at the end of round 2. With their late 3rd round compensatory selection, they pick DE Tanoh Kpassagnon from Villanova to develop as part of their DE rotation behind Charles Johnson, Julius Peppers, and Mario Addison.

In the 4th round they add a tackle to develop in Vanderbilt's Will Holden, who can serve as depth as a rookie while making the transition to the NFL. In the 5th round they go for the BPA in LSU's Malachi Dupre to add further depth to the receiving corp. A few picks later, with the final pick they acquired from Arizona, they select Virginia Tech FB Sam Rogers as the long-term replacement for Mike Tolbert. With their final two selections, the Panthers add depth and competition in the form of Florida State CB Marquez White and South Florida guard Kofi Amichia.

THE RUNDOWN:
1st (f/ARZ): O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama: Would make an impact from day one in 2-TE sets alongside Greg Olsen and also provide a long-term solution at the position once Olsen retires in a few years.

2nd: Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut: A perfect fit for our defense, he could be slowly brought along behind veteran Mike Adams at strong safety and hopefully become the clear starter by his second season.

2nd (f/ARZ): Chris Godwin, WR, Penn State: I believe Godwin fits the Panthers better than any other receiver in this draft class. Runs great routes, has great speed, and is a competitor. We had him in for a private workout recently, so there is obvious interest.

2nd (f/N.E): Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma: Aside from Leonard Fournette, I feel Perine fits us the best. He's got the type of power that translates well to the NFL and better speed than he's often given credit for, even if he's no burner. He would immediately be a factor as our #2 RB and be groomed as Jonathan Stewart's future replacement.

3rd (COMP): Tanoh Kpassagnon, DE, Villanova: He might not be a guy we can plug-in day one and expect immediate results, but few DE's are coming out of college. He's got elite traits, though, and we have a great group of veteran pass rushers to mentor him as he develops as part of the rotation.

4th: Will Holden, OT, Vanderbilt: There are obvious questions at both tackle spots. Will Matt Kalil work out on the left side? Is Michael Oher healthy enough to be able to count on manning the right side? While Holden likely isn't athletic enough to hold down the blind side, I really like his potential on the right side and tackle depth is a concern for the Panthers right now.

5th: Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU: Our WR situation is somewhat unsettled at the moment. We brought in Charles Johnson and Russell Sheppard in free agency and are counting on KB having a bounce-back year and Funchess developing. Plus, in this scenario we also have added Chris Godwin in the 2nd round. Still, if Malachi Dupre is still on the board this late, you take him on value alone, IMO. Competition is never a bad thing, and neither is depth at WR.

5th (f/ARZ): Sam Rogers, FB, Virginia Tech: With Mike Tolbert gone, the FB position is in flux. We have Darrel Young on the roster as the default veteran option, but if we have a chance to add a young complete FB like Sam Rogers in the mid-late rounds we definitely should consider it. Rogers is a solid blocker, tough runner, and good receiver as well. In many ways, he's a younger Mike Tolbert with better lead-blocking ability, and certainly a no-brainer in the 5th round, IMO.

6th: Marquez White, CB, Florida State: Our starting 3 appear set with James Bradberry and Daryl Worley starting outside and Captain Munnerlyn playing the nickel, but CB depth is definitely a concern. I actually wouldn't mind drafting one earlier than this, but in this scenario I went with positions of more pressing need. In the 6th round, Marquez White would be a solid addition and would immediately compete for a roster spot as a 4th or 5th corner.

7th: Kofi Amichia, OG, South Florida: As we unfortunately saw last year, lack of OL depth can be a major issue for any team, regardless of how good your starters may be. Our interior OL depth is a lot more solid than our tackle depth, but how long can we just keep re-signing Chris Scott to 1-year deals? Adding a young guard who can compete with the veterans already on the roster seems like a good move this late in the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of Perine. I think he maxes out as a quality short-yardage runner, but not much more. Simply lacks the quick feet and agility IMO. A lot of the bigger backs, like Lacy and Henry, have good/great feet.

Trading back and getting 3 2nd round picks and still landing OJ Howard would be fantastic though. Obi would be a really good pick too. He's basically the George Iloka of this draft. Immense physical attributes but still needs some more refinement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we know anything... it's that we know nothing, John Snow...

If we are projecting trades, I think we have to project later round trades too.

You are definitely bucking the trend by showing a trade-down scenario.

I'll be effin' shocked if we keep all of those late round picks.

FFMD 15 - General Manager
FFMD 16 - Asst. General Manager
fretgod99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Trading back and getting 3 2nd round picks and still landing OJ Howard would be fantastic though. Obi would be a really good pick too. He's basically the George Iloka of this draft. Immense physical attributes but still needs some more refinement.
2 TE sets with another quality TE to pair with Olsen is absolutely what we need.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
iknowcool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
2 TE sets with another quality TE to pair with Olsen is absolutely what we need.

Yep. On top of the receiving factor, it would help us out in run blocking a ton too.

I'm warming up to the idea of a Howard/Kamara combo in the first two rounds. Two explosive talents added to an offense that needs it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RB class is tough to gauge this year. Lots of productive college runners, but finding the backs who can produce in the NFL could be tougher than it seems.

Perine will never be a flashy big-play back, IMO, but I think he's one of the safer picks in this class at the position, especially given our preference for power runners. I disagree with the above post about his feet, too. I think his feet are fine for a big back.

If nothing else I think he'd be a quality #2 long-term, first behind Stewart and down the road behind a future early draft pick. The 2018 RB class is arguably even better than this year's class.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatalystNX wrote:
The RB class is tough to gauge this year. Lots of productive college runners, but finding the backs who can produce in the NFL could be tougher than it seems.

Perine will never be a flashy big-play back, IMO, but I think he's one of the safer picks in this class at the position, especially given our preference for power runners. I disagree with the above post about his feet, too. I think his feet are fine for a big back.

If nothing else I think he'd be a quality #2 long-term, first behind Stewart and down the road behind a future early draft pick. The 2018 RB class is arguably even better than this year's class.

I could see Perine dropping some weight like Lev Bell... and then getting back some of that quickness.

FFMD 15 - General Manager
FFMD 16 - Asst. General Manager

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: