Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats sign RB Gillislee to offer sheet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Surprised nobody has mentioned James White signing a 3-year extension yesterday. That's 3 RBs the Pats have paid this offseason: White, Burkhead, and Gillislee.

Its smart. They are going to limit Brady through out the season from 7 step drops. IT will be running game and short passes to RBs (screend, wheels, etc). They are prepping for another run and doing it fantastically. I hate them so much for this... Crying or Very sad

I don't necessarily disagree.. but I'm seeing an odd dichotomy on this RB theme.

For years the Pats have pinched pennies when it came to RBs and everybody pointed to their shining example for how much of a return they can squeeze out of bargain bin RBs. Now they gave 3 guys new contracts, two of which were FAs, and a lot of us are falling into the "zomg the Pats are geniuses" schtick for doing the opposite of what we've been praising them for for years.
childofpudding

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Surprised nobody has mentioned James White signing a 3-year extension yesterday. That's 3 RBs the Pats have paid this offseason: White, Burkhead, and Gillislee.

As I said in the team forum, I think it's the most they've ever paid for RBs in the Belichick era. Definitely a swerve-y type move that has me scratching my head a bit.

Someone else in the team forum mentioned that Gillislee and Burkhead were the top two RBs in DVOA last year, for what it's worth: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

childofpudding wrote:
Someone else in the team forum mentioned that Gillislee and Burkhead were the top two RBs in DVOA last year, for what it's worth: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Yet the Pats claim to not put much weight into analytics. Dat gamesmanship.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

Its smart. They are going to limit Brady through out the season from 7 step drops. IT will be running game and short passes to RBs (screend, wheels, etc). They are prepping for another run and doing it fantastically. I hate them so much for this... Crying or Very sad

I don't necessarily disagree.. but I'm seeing an odd dichotomy on this RB theme.

For years the Pats have pinched pennies when it came to RBs and everybody pointed to their shining example for how much of a return they can squeeze out of bargain bin RBs. Now they gave 3 guys new contracts, two of which were FAs, and a lot of us are falling into the "zomg the Pats are geniuses" schtick for doing the opposite of what we've been praising them for for years.

Its not like these are big money contracts though. And even with that, its not big money on one guy.

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

Its not like these are big money contracts though. And even with that, its not big money on one guy.

Gillislee got $4m, White got 3 years, $12m, Burkhead got 1 year, $3.15m.

According to Over The Cap, Patriots spending $11.15m on RBs for 2017 ranks them 5th-highest in the NFL.

The contracts are all short, of course, and easy to get out of. But it's not peanuts.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

Gillislee got $4m, White got 3 years, $12m, Burkhead got 1 year, $3.15m.

According to Over The Cap, Patriots spending $11.15m on RBs for 2017 ranks them 5th-highest in the NFL.

The contracts are all short, of course, and easy to get out of. But it's not peanuts.

Its not peanuts, but those are also not 1 year deals either. They can invest a lot in 2017 because they have the space. LIS - its not like they gave a 5 yr 50M contract to 1 guy.

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team is a [inappropriate/removed] train wreck

In our forum Whaley is a god because he got us Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard, but I disagree

We have Shady McCoy and when he gets hurt Mike Tolbert ? We have Sammy Watkins and when he misses his normal 1/3 of the season we have scraps. Our god awful secondary got rid of Gilmore, Williams, Graham and Nickell-Robey and signed Hyde and Jordan [inappropriate/removed] Poyer who couldn't make the worst team of all-time. We have no depth all over the board.

This team is a train wreck and unless McDermott works some magic were looking at a 3 win season. #fireWhaley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
So they have 4 receiving-first RBs...lol should be interesting.

Oh they're going to regret letting Blount go. He can come win a chip in LA.

They arent going to miss him regardless of what college he went to.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
KManX89

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
i was kinda hoping GB would extend an offer to him.

No way Ted would give him a ludicrous offer the Bills wouldn't match.

But this move is genius in every which way, adding to an already loaded offense and screwing a division foe by forcing them to either pay a pretty penny or lose a valuable piece to an otherwise minuscule offense. They're having their cake and eating it, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

Maybe because BB sees some statistical benefit, does he now consider RB undervalued in today's game? Are teams now loading up in the passing game both on O and D so that he thinks they may now be susceptible to the run?

Does Lewis injury history scare him? How does spending 8% of the 160 mill cap compare to other teams of the last 6 years?

Dion Lewis Injury and maybe a higher salary for Blount scared him. He reacted by rewarding White for his efforts and getting two effective b/u with upside for little future $$ commitment.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

areksoo wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
No Runningback has ever made the ProBowl with Tom Brady under center.

Will this guy break that trend?

Wasn't Corey Dillon a Pro Bowler?

It's tough for any Patriot RB to ever make a Pro Bowl. They employ a RB by committee, don't resign their backs (if the cost is too high) and for whatever reason get injured a lot.

I'll have to check. I don't recall though?

check: yep, his first year in New England.

dang. nevermind me. I saw that stat somewhere and ran with it (and I didn't know what year Corey Dillion started playing for New England lol)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
This team is a [inappropriate/removed] train wreck

In our forum Whaley is a god because he got us Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard, but I disagree

We have Shady McCoy and when he gets hurt Mike Tolbert ? We have Sammy Watkins and when he misses his normal 1/3 of the season we have scraps. Our god awful secondary got rid of Gilmore, Williams, Graham and Nickell-Robey and signed Hyde and Jordan [inappropriate/removed] Poyer who couldn't make the worst team of all-time. We have no depth all over the board.

This team is a train wreck and unless McDermott works some magic were looking at a 3 win season. #fireWhaley

Whaley does have some football acumen, but not good when it comes to contracts and has a weak spine. He's basically a yes man for the Pegulas.

I agree, he should be fired. Bills should be looking to rebuild instead of pretending that they'll be a contender every year. I don't think they'll be 3-13 bad, but end up somewhere in that 5 to 7 win mark. Not good enough for the playoffs and too good to get a top 5 draft pick.

KManX89 wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
i was kinda hoping GB would extend an offer to him.

No way Ted would give him a ludicrous offer the Bills wouldn't match.

But this move is genius in every which way, adding to an already loaded offense and screwing a division foe by forcing them to either pay a pretty penny or lose a valuable piece to an otherwise minuscule offense. They're having their cake and eating it, too.

It's also genius that they made the first year $4 million. The Bills salary cap space is sitting somewhere around $9-10 million, but if you remove the cost of draft pick salaries, then they are left with roughly $4 million. Do you waste the rest of your cap space on a back up RB? Or use that money for multiple players to fill in the many holes they have? Latter seems like the only choice.
Devin Kurant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brady
Gronkowski
Allen
Cooks
Edelman
Mitchell
Amendola
White
Burkhead
Gillislee

Good god.
KManX89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devin Kurant wrote:
Brady
Gronkowski
Allen
Cooks
Edelman
Mitchell
Amendola
White
Burkhead
Gillislee

Good god.

IKR?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read this I thought they were signing Brady's wife.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: