Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pats sign RB Gillislee to offer sheet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OleXmad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid patriots and their smart moves *grumble grumble*

Is it me or are the patriots making much more of a splash than usual? Adding Cooks, Burkhead, Gilmore, Allen and now the Buffalo RB. The Patriots are going all in for a repeat I guess.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:

Is it me or are the patriots making much more of a splash than usual? Adding Cooks, Burkhead, Gilmore, Allen and now the Buffalo RB. The Patriots are going all in for a repeat I guess.

Wouldn't going all in necessitate keeping Butler instead of (reportedly) looking to move him? Or re-signing Martellus Bennett, Chris Long or Jabaal Sheard?

Adding Cooks was a splash, sure. But Blount -> Burkhead isn't a huge upgrade in most people's minds. Allen is a downgrade from Bennett. DE is weaker to some degree (Ealy is worse than Long last year or Sheard in 2015 or in 2016 postseason), DT is still something of an issue in terms of quality. LB is thin at best and one Hightower injury away from being one of the worst starting groups in the league.

To me, going all in would be retaining the big name guys they let go, adding more than one obvious upgrade and moving Garoppolo for picks/players.

If Butler is moved, the team will be worse at DE, CB and #2 TE while better at WR and RB. Doesn't seem like "all in" to me at all.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:

Wouldn't going all in necessitate keeping Butler instead of (reportedly) looking to move him? Or re-signing Martellus Bennett, Chris Long or Jabaal Sheard?

Adding Cooks was a splash, sure. But Blount -> Burkhead isn't a huge upgrade in most people's minds. Allen is a downgrade from Bennett. DE is weaker to some degree (Ealy is worse than Long last year or Sheard in 2015 or in 2016 postseason), DT is still something of an issue in terms of quality. LB is thin at best and one Hightower injury away from being one of the worst starting groups in the league.

To me, going all in would be retaining the big name guys they let go, adding more than one obvious upgrade and moving Garoppolo for picks/players.

If Butler is moved, the team will be worse at DE, CB and #2 TE while better at WR and RB. Doesn't seem like "all in" to me at all.

How dare you doubt the Darth Hoodie and his blood magic/football force powers/whatever advantage he uses. Bellicheck made some solid upgrades this offseason while finding adequate replacements for everyone who left. Either way the patriots made more moves than usual and are paying their RBs quite a bit of money (compared to recent years anyway) and while yes the patriots didn't spend every single chip to go "all in" they did do quite a bit to sure up their weaknesses. The only real issues the patriots should have are their front seven but Bellicheck will do some blood magic in training camp and it will be good.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
1ForTheThumb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:

I don't know about "all-in" but it's crazy how active they've been considering they just won 2 titles in the last 3 years. Just shows how Belichick and Caserio are never satisfied and are always looking to improve the team.

Signing Gilmore at 4PM on the first day of free agency to a record contract was a huge surprise to me. I really hope they keep Butler so we can see a Gilmore, Butler, McCourty, Harmon/Chung secondary for a year. That has a chance to be the best in the league.

Allen was a cheaper, younger option than Bennett. Though, I was surprised at Bennett's contract from GB. I would have preferred to bring him back. Loved Bennett, Allen Is a downgrade.

Cooks deal is smart. They essentially get him on a 2-year ~8M deal when they pick up his 5th year option. While they had to give up a late first, I still love this move. Amendola and Edelman are getting older and have always had durability concerns.

I'm most excited about the RB upgrade (if the Bills don't match). Replacing Blount with fresh legs like Burkhead, and Gillislee, is a definite upgrade. It's something the Patriots offense needed.

I don't think, or can't remember a time that BB had such little draft capital heading into the draft. Makes me think a Butler trade or Jimmy trade is very possible come draft weekend.
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Gillislee but not only did the Pats overspend but they will also have to give up a 5th as well i we dont match. Over paid, and have to give up a draft pick... these moves they have made so far seems very unpatriot like.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Runningback has ever made the ProBowl with Tom Brady under center.

Will this guy break that trend?

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
I love Gillislee but not only did the Pats overspend but they will also have to give up a 5th as well i we dont match. Over paid, and have to give up a draft pick... these moves they have made so far seems very unpatriot like.

unless he has a good year or partial year and is traded away for a higher pick.

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense if they get it done.

Lewis is always on the IR and Blount is usually banged up and battling some injury mid season, specially with his running style and hes not getting younger.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1ForTheThumb wrote:
OleXmad wrote:

I don't know about "all-in" but it's crazy how active they've been considering they just won 2 titles in the last 3 years. Just shows how Belichick and Caserio are never satisfied and are always looking to improve the team.

Is it really all that crazy that they have been active? The team did have a MASSIVE FA class going into the offseason and lost many starters/key contributors. Really all they did was go and replace guys that walked.

Dwayne Allen in response to losing Bennett
Kony Ealy in response to losing Chris Long
Lawrence Guy in response to Sheard
Stephon Gilmore in response to Logan Ryan
Rex Burkhead and Gisilee in response to Blount

When you boil it all down the only real add is Cooks

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriots offense looking like they dont wanna skip a beat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they have 4 receiving-first RBs...lol should be interesting.

Oh they're going to regret letting Blount go. He can come win a chip in LA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:
So they have 4 receiving-first RBs...lol should be interesting.

Oh they're going to regret letting Blount go. He can come win a chip in LA.

Not sure what in Blount's game they are going to miss. You should see the Patriots running numbers in the playoffs for the last few years, he is very upgradable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
No Runningback has ever made the ProBowl with Tom Brady under center.

Will this guy break that trend?

Wasn't Corey Dillon a Pro Bowler?

It's tough for any Patriot RB to ever make a Pro Bowl. They employ a RB by committee, don't resign their backs (if the cost is too high) and for whatever reason get injured a lot.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised nobody has mentioned James White signing a 3-year extension yesterday. That's 3 RBs the Pats have paid this offseason: White, Burkhead, and Gillislee.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Surprised nobody has mentioned James White signing a 3-year extension yesterday. That's 3 RBs the Pats have paid this offseason: White, Burkhead, and Gillislee.

Its smart. They are going to limit Brady through out the season from 7 step drops. IT will be running game and short passes to RBs (screend, wheels, etc). They are prepping for another run and doing it fantastically. I hate them so much for this... Crying or Very sad

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: