Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Mitch Trubisky Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: My Mitch Trubisky Draft Reply with quote

1[3] QB Mitch Trubisky [UNC] 6'2" 222lbs, 4.67 [40], 27.5" vert, 9'8" broad

Trubisky lacks experience, which adds to the risk of picking him, but from a physical stand point he has everything that you look for in a QB, minus a couple of inches of height. Trubisky is the most accurate passer in the draft, he has the most developed footwork and he has a very good arm. He can throw the ball to all levels of a defense and his timing is what makes him impressive as a passer. Trubisky lacks experience, he has played in a simple system and he needs time to develop, which the Bears can afford him with Glennon being evaluated. Trubisky only threw 6 interceptions last season, which if you listen to Pace and Fox protecting the football is a big deal. Trubisky would be best in a west coast offense that can get the ball out quickly and accurately to maximize YAC yards.

2[36] S Obi Melifonwu [UConn] 6'4" 224lbs, 4.4 [40], 17 reps, 44" vert, 11'9" broad

As I said in the "What I Would Do" mock draft if I am taking QB at 3, I am turning this pick over to the defensive guys and my guess is they will want someone to start next to Demps. There is so much 2nd round safety talent in this draft they should have their choice of a couple of interesting players. Melifonwu was said to have captured the Bears eye at the Senior Bowl. His unique physical talents in the hands of Fangio and Donatell could be very interesting. His size and ability to match up with TEs will also provide a versatile weapon for the Bears defense. Pace did not get to make his freak athlete pick in round 1 so he can come back and make it in round 2.

3[67] WR Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster [USC] 6'1" 215lbs, 4.54 [40], 15 reps, 32.5" vert

Trubisky's primary strength is the ability to get an accurate pass out on time and allow for maximum YAC yards, which is the hallmark of the West Coast Offense. The Bears are razor thin at the WR position and most of the players are either incredibly unreliable [White, Wheaton] or on 1 year deals [Wright], hardly the group you want building a report with a young QB. Smith-Schuster gives the Bears an Anquan Boldin clone that can work outside and in the slot. I like Ju-Ju in the slot where he can use his fearlessness over the middle and his RB build to churn out yards once the ball is in his hands. With Wheaton on the outside running deep routes, Meredith running the intermidiate routes and Smith-Schuster working the middle of the field the Bears have some talent to ensure that Trubisky has options.

4[111] CB Rasual Douglas [West Virginia] 6'2" 209lbs, 4.59 [40], 33.5" vert, 16 reps, 10' broad

Douglas has a good year, a good Senior Bowl, and then not a great combine, which means he should be available for the Bears in the early 4th round. Douglas has incredible size and length for the CB position and he is a physical press CB that can tackle, which is a must in the Fangio system. Douglas did not run well, but I think on tape he plays faster than the time. The Bears coached Douglas at the Senior Bowl so they have some insight on his ability within the system. Douglas does not need to start this season, he needs to backup Cooper and develop to compete in 2018. But with the health issues that destroyed the secondary last season the Bears need to insure that they are not going to the street to sign CBs.

4[117] DE Carlos Watkins [Clemson] 6'3" 309lbs, 25 reps

The Bears are still to thin on the DL and they need to give themselves option as well as keep Goldman and Hick fresh. Watkins has the size and length [34.5" arms] that Fangio prefers on the DL and gives the Bears a player to compete at RE with Bullard. What I like most about Watkins is that he is a very active player. He hustles and makes plays with secondary effort. Watkins had 10.5 sacks last season and does a nice job of using his long arms and hands to keep the OL from controlling the rep.

5[147] OLB Deatrich Wise [Arkansas] 6'6" 271lbs, 4.92 [40], 22 reps, 33" vert, 10'5" broad

I would expect the Bears to add an OLB at some point in the draft so that they can begin the process of developing players to take over for McPhee and Houston who are both always injured. Wise has the size, length, and ability against the run to be the base OLB and set the edge while Floyd chases plays. Wise need some time to develop and has not been asked to drop in his career so the Bears can start the process while they still have some quality reps from McPhee. Wise in 2017 should provide them a big body that can contribute on multiple special teams replacing Washington.

7[220] OT Levon Myer [Northern Illinois] 6'5" 309lbs, 5.41 [40], 24 reps, 26" vert

If the Bears draft Watson I would focus on bigger more physical OLmen that can be used in a run heavy, boot action system, but with Trubisky I think the Bears need athletic pass protectors that can hold up throwing the ball in the west coast style. Myers is a hail marry toss at the end of the draft, but he gives the Bears a young athletic blocker to work with. I do not expect him to play or be active this season, but the Bears should have a young tackle getting scout team reps and seeing what they can turn him into.

Depth Chart

QB: Glennon, Trubisky, Sanchez
RB: Howard, Langford, Carey, Cunningham
WR: Meredith, White, Wheaton, Smith-Schuster, Wright
TE: Sims, Miller, Brown
LT: Leno, Myers [PR]
LG: Sitton, Kush
C: Whitehair, Grasu
RG: Long
RT: Massie, Compton

RE: Bullard, Watkins, Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, Jenkins
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Young
ILB: Freeman, Timu
ILB: Trevathan, Kwaitowski, Anderson
OLB: McPhee, Houston, Wise
CB: Amukamara, Cooper, Fuller, Douglas, Callahan, Leblanc
FS: Demps, Hall, Amos
SS: Melifonwu, Bush
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus's for Mitch

-Run after the catch WR
-Athletic pass blocker OL
-Not as worried about TE, more 3 WR sets
-Pass catching back, maybe that is Cunningham or Langford
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get Obi and Juju there, and I'm good with Trubisky.

Watkins can rotate in at NT as well, he is pretty versatile.

Wise would be interesting to pair against RRH. Two big men to play OLB, likely in a McGinest/McPhee role when either develops.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melifonwu is just not a football player. Swap out Baker or Marcus Williams for him and I like it
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
Melifonwu is just not a football player. Swap out Baker or Marcus Williams for him and I like it

I think Baker is a late first round pick, but would love to get him there. To me Baker is above Peppers as a safety. I just think Donatell could develop Obi into a major threat, but he is still raw undoubtedly.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:

We have an exceptional defensive staff for this reason.

Floyd wasn't much of a football player at Georgia and he looks like he could be a star.
mikee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those end up being our 3rd and 4th round picks I will be ecstatic. I just can't see it happening.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:

I disagree. I think he goes before #36. His H/W/S coupled with the corner/safety versatility really elevates his value.
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the Bears are interested in Trubisky, my gut says thats a smoke screen. Unless a team trade to 3 to get Fournette and we go down a few spots and get him. I doubt we take him at

Melifonwu may be a great player. I feel iffy when a guys stock goes through the roof due to the combine. Not saying he'll be bad, not sure if I'd draft him though.

The rest is good.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by AZBearsFan on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:

Floyd wasn't much of a football player at Georgia and he looks like he could be a star.

I don't think that's true. Floyd wasn't an elite pass rusher at Georgia but he was a very good and versatile football player.

Agree with your point regarding the coaching staff though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:

I don't think that's true. Floyd wasn't an elite pass rusher at Georgia but he was a very good and versatile football player.

Agree with your point regarding the coaching staff though.

He was almost identical to Melfonwu, the tape/production did not match the physical tools.

One could argue Melifonwu had better production than Floyd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: