Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers Re-Sign DT Kawann Short (5/80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OleXmad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping he would be cheaper but he's worth the money.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty league, PM me for a co-owner role.
bananabucket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was hoping he'd come back to Purdue.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
Wow.. I'm happy but I can't believe this got done. I was positive Short was gone.

Guess this means Lotulelei is probably on his way out. No way we keep Short, Star, and Butler.

Why? Butler is literally dirt cheap the next three years. Team option will cramp up space maybe but maybe we can dump Short by then.

Because if we can afford to save money, then we will. Very little reason to pay Lotulelei starting DT money if we feel Butler is capable of filling the role, especially with Turner and Norwell needing new contracts soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Wow.. I'm happy but I can't believe this got done. I was positive Short was gone.

Guess this means Lotulelei is probably on his way out. No way we keep Short, Star, and Butler.

That's what I was thinking.

Good Comp pick at least.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Zithers wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

Why? Butler is literally dirt cheap the next three years. Team option will cramp up space maybe but maybe we can dump Short by then.

Because if we can afford to save money, then we will. Very little reason to pay Lotulelei starting DT money if we feel Butler is capable of filling the role, especially with Turner and Norwell needing new contracts soon.

Butler well may prove to be a very good player, but he will not be able to fill Lotulelei's role well regardless of how he progresses. He's not a space eating, nose tackle type DT. He's more of a 3-tech, penetrating type.

So the decision to resign Lotulelei won't hinge on Butler's development, but moreso on whether Star is willing to resign for the price that Gettleman believes he is worth.

And while Short is a fantastic player, I'd hate to see Lotulelei go, because he's basically an equally important player, who's ability to require a double team on pretty much every play allows Short to thrive the way that he has.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Zithers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Zithers wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

Butler is only making $3.6m over the next three years. There's no reason we wouldn't be able to structure a deal with Star to work around that. Butler's option season would be Short's fourth year of his contract and after that we can probably cut bait or have Short take a paycut (especially if Butler turns into a beast). Plus, Star isn't going to command Short money and the cap is only going to grow from here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawann Short is one of only a handful of DT's in the NFL who are elite against both the run and the pass. That is well worth 5 years/$80 million, so long as he continues to perform at an elite level for the duration of the contract.

I'm OK with letting Star Lotulelei walk if it means keeping Short around. It's much, MUCH easier to find space-eating DT's who play the run like Star than it is to find impact players at the position like Short who can both stuff the run and be impact pass rushers.

Not that this deal necessarily means Star is gone. He was never going to command true top-dollar to extend the way Short did. He'll be paid, sure, but it won't be this kind of big money contract, IMO. Short's deal breaks down to $16 million per year on average; I'd be surprised if Star Lotulelei gets more than half that if/when he is extended.

Now, if he hits the open market then it's possible as teams will overpay for big name DL, but if we can get him signed before hitting free agency, I don't think it's impossible to afford both he and Short.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
Zithers wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

Butler is only making $3.6m over the next three years. There's no reason we wouldn't be able to structure a deal with Star to work around that. Butler's option season would be Short's fourth year of his contract and after that we can probably cut bait or have Short take a paycut (especially if Butler turns into a beast). Plus, Star isn't going to command Short money and the cap is only going to grow from here.

I just don't see it as a likely scenario. With Short secured, extending another DT is going to be put behind (in priorities) extending Turner and Norwell.

It's possible. Probably more possible than I think. I just see the odds being decreased. We're going to be more concerned with trying to keep together our interior OL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: