Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 years later, how do you feel about Lovie Smith's firing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugashane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah112 wrote:
He wasn't done any favors by the guys building the roster, but it was time for him to go.

I do think the Bears' direction since the firing shows the danger of the "grass is greener" mentality many fans have in the NFL. It's easy to identify Lovie as an "average" coach who isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl, but it's not easy to hire a better coach.

I am glad he is gone. Great man, mediocre head coach.

Still can't believe Emery passed on Arians. He was and is the better coach, though that is not a guarantee of postseason success. Still had to retool our roster.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
ForteOz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both times the Bears moved on from their head coach, it was the right thing to do.

And both times they moved on, they had the exact right person they should have replaced them with come in to be interviewed...

And then hired the wrong guy.

Lovie was never the 'problem' with the Bears, but neither was he the solution. His time in TB proved he gave us his best years.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
IronMike summed it up best.

We tolerated it for far too long. The Bucs...sure they hired him. But didnt wait around as long as we did to get rid of him.

ForteOz wrote:
His time in TB proved he gave us his best years.

You guys do know the circumstances of what happened in Tampa right? Took a perrenial bottom dwelling team made them pretty good in 2 years and then Dirk Koetter forced his way into the HC slot. The bucs didn't fire Lovie bc he failed. They fired him bc Dirk Koetter is a POS human being.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Wow, I was just thinking about the Lovie Bears last night.

I'll keep it brief. While the offense was a big problem, Lovie's biggest flaw was that he was a conservative coach who would get even more conservative in big games.

Examples: Super Bowl XLI, Week 17 2008 (win-and-in @ HOU), 2011 NFC Championship.

It made Lovie happier than a pig in crap to lose a game having never taken a risk than to take a single chance and win. For all of the intelligence and discipline his team had, that's the reason why they were never champions.

That's my short answer on Lovie too. Even to the point of sticking with "their defensive scheme" when Steve Smith had been shredding us all day and the after an injury he puts a scrub DB one on one against Smith who burns him for like a 40 yard gain the first play.
Which scrub DB are you referring to? Charles "Peanut" Tillman or 2005 Probowl CB Nathan "The Interceptor" Vasher? Steve Smith smoked us that game, not for lack of game plan, but bc Steve Smith was that damn good that day. Steve Smith smoked a lot of teams since then too.

gah112

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a bit unfair to call Lovie mediocre. His tenure as Bears HC saw mostly successful teams and very few bad ones. Players respected him and his teams were well-prepared.

He gets the same treatment from Bear fans that Andy Reid gets from Eagles fans for his inability to win a Super Bowl. He's partly responsible for that, but he wasn't done any favors by the guys assembling the roster.
51to54

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

I'll keep it brief. While the offense was a big problem, Lovie's biggest flaw was that he was a conservative coach who would get even more conservative in big games.

Examples: Super Bowl XLI, Week 17 2008 (win-and-in @ HOU), 2011 NFC Championship.

It made Lovie happier than a pig in crap to lose a game having never taken a risk than to take a single chance and win. For all of the intelligence and discipline his team had, that's the reason why they were never champions.

That's my short answer on Lovie too. Even to the point of sticking with "their defensive scheme" when Steve Smith had been shredding us all day and the after an injury he puts a scrub DB one on one against Smith who burns him for like a 40 yard gain the first play.
Which scrub DB are you referring to? Charles "Peanut" Tillman or 2005 Probowl CB Nathan "The Interceptor" Vasher? Steve Smith smoked us that game, not for lack of game plan, but bc Steve Smith was that damn good that day. Steve Smith smoked a lot of teams since then too.

None of the above DBs. This part "...after an injury he (Lovie) puts a scrub DB one on one..." was to indicate that after the starter was out he puts a backup in with no reps out on an island against Smith.
As you noted, Steve Smith was good that day and smoked a lot of teams and Lovie not only doesn't adjust to Smith's hot day (13 targets, 12 catches, 218 yards, TDs of 58 and 39 yards), but then doubles down sticks with his defensive game plan and gets burned. Post game comments included the 'stick with our scheme' reason or something close to it.
topwop1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie was a good coach, especially when he had his main core of all star defenders in place (Lach, Briggs & Tillman) but he certainly had his faults when it came to the offensive side of the ball, and ultimately that was his undoing.

He gave the Bears some good years and I had some of my greatest Bears memories during his tenure but for me it's all about winning championships and I wasn't confident enough that Lovie would ever get them to that point.

Though I can confidently say that the Bears would have been better off keeping him over hiring Trestman but I think his time was limited either way because of the failed Cutler experiment and being tied to him.
51to54

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
Lovie was a good coach, especially when he had his main core of all star defenders in place (Lach, Briggs & Tillman) but he certainly had his faults when it came to the offensive side of the ball, and ultimately that was his undoing.

He gave the Bears some good years and I had some of my greatest Bears memories during his tenure but for me it's all about winning championships and I wasn't confident enough that Lovie would ever get them to that point.

Though I can confidently say that the Bears would have been better off keeping him over hiring Trestman but I think his time was limited either way because of the failed Cutler experiment and being tied to him.

The Bears would have been better off hiring any one of several posters on this board than Trestman.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:

The Bears would have been better off hiring any one of several posters on this board than Trestman.

The travesty of the Trestman's hiring was that it's pretty apparent he was chosen because of his willingness to preserve a defensive scheme comprised of star players who were entering year 10 in the league.

So not only did Angelo try and fail to reload on the defensive side of the ball, but Emery wanted to actually ignore that aspect of the team altogether.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and let's not forget about Emery's constant insistence that he wanted players who "transcend scheme," yet his biggest priority was holding on for dear life to the scheme Lovie had installed.
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt like Lovie being fired. His last year we were 10-6 and barely missed the playoffs. Lovie was a good coach, one of our better ones. Isnt he our 3rd most winning coach? We swept GB 2 or 3 times under him. Angelo was a much bigger problem than Lovie. In hindsite, firing Lovie was a mistake, but at the time it was the right thing to do.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

None of the above DBs. This part "...after an injury he (Lovie) puts a scrub DB one on one..." was to indicate that after the starter was out he puts a backup in with no reps out on an island against Smith.
As you noted, Steve Smith was good that day and smoked a lot of teams and Lovie not only doesn't adjust to Smith's hot day (13 targets, 12 catches, 218 yards, TDs of 58 and 39 yards), but then doubles down sticks with his defensive game plan and gets burned. Post game comments included the 'stick with our scheme' reason or something close to it.
Again I ask what scrub DB you are talking about? I'm asking for a name. And what gameplan was he supposed to come up with? He tried manning up Peanut on him, that didn't work, he tried going cover 2, that didn't work, he tried cover 3 that didn't work. What scheme was he supposed to employ? Sometimes there isn't a correct scheme to employ, players just have to play better. The whole "he doesn't adjust" line is an absolute load of crap. The defense was constantly making adjustments, that's how they remained a top 10 defense under Lovie for most of 10 years.

IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowler1215 wrote:
His last year we were 10-6 and barely missed the playoffs.

I take a little bit of an issue with that stat. The 2012 Bears were 2-8 against playoff teams, beating Indi and Minnesota, and losing to Minnesota, Green Bay x 2, Houston, San Francisco, and Seattle.

I know a team can't help their schedule, and a win is a win. They beat some really awful teams, and some okay teams. But this was a huge part of the frustration with Lovie: destroying who they were "supposed" to beat, and then struggling mightily versus the elite.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Bowler1215 wrote:

I take a little bit of an issue with that stat. The 2012 Bears were 2-8 against playoff teams, beating Indi and Minnesota, and losing to Minnesota, Green Bay x 2, Houston, San Francisco, and Seattle.

I know a team can't help their schedule, and a win is a win. They beat some really awful teams, and some okay teams. But this was a huge part of the frustration with Lovie: destroying who they were "supposed" to beat, and then struggling mightily versus the elite.
They were a 10-6 teams, which means they couldn't have been 2-8 against anybody (maximum 6 losses), secondly if they were 2-6 (not Cool against playoff teams, that means that they were 8-0 against nonplayoff teams. That's a yo. That means they beat EVERYBODY they should have beaten. The losses you pointed to were both NFCCG representatives, Green Bay (we all know about Aaron Rodgers and Lovie) and a red hot Houston Texans team. I never said it was superbowl bound team, but let's be real, if Green Bay beats Minnesota week 16 we aren't having this conversation right now bc Lovie wouldn't have gotten fired then. A coach's job status shouldn't hinge on what other teams do.

IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Bowler1215 wrote:

They were a 10-6 teams, which means they couldn't have been 2-8 against anybody (maximum 6 losses), secondly if they were 2-6 (not Cool against playoff teams, that means that they were 8-0 against nonplayoff teams. That's a yo. That means they beat EVERYBODY they should have beaten. The losses you pointed to were both NFCCG representatives, Green Bay (we all know about Aaron Rodgers and Lovie) and a red hot Houston Texans team. I never said it was superbowl bound team, but let's be real, if Green Bay beats Minnesota week 16 we aren't having this conversation right now bc Lovie wouldn't have gotten fired then. A coach's job status shouldn't hinge on what other teams do.

2-6 out of 8 matchups versus playoff opponents, yes. It was late when I was typing that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: