Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 years later, how do you feel about Lovie Smith's firing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: 5 years later, how do you feel about Lovie Smith's firing? Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I remember some members on here were happy others, such as myself were skeptical at best.

I got to thinking about this tonight. How do I feel now about the Bears firing the 3rd winningest coach in franchise history coming off a 10 win season and once again overachieving with a talent deficient team. I've come to some conclusions

1) Emery fired Lovie simply bc Lovie wasn't his guy. Phil Emery was clearly a guy with a massive ego and a smartest guy in the room personality. He wanted to take the Bears in a new direction and he couldn't do that with any remnants of an old regime.

2) Lovie has to take some ownership of the offensive ineptitude of the Bears under his watch. He held on to Ron Turner for too long. He let go of Mike Martz after Martz had clashed with Mike Tice. Let's not forget for all the flack we give Martz (some of it deserved) A Mike Martz led offense resulted in a #2 seeded NFCCG hosting Bears offense followed by a 7-3 start and the Bears averaging nearly 30 ppg and looking like a top team in the NFC once again before Cutler's thumb injury caused Hanie to lead a race to the bottom. Once again, Lovie had brought in Mike Tice and Kevin Bates and created one of the most dysfunctional offensive structures in the NFL resulting 3 straight playoffless seasons.

3) People need to evaluate Lovie with an understanding of how talent deficient the team was thanks to Jerry Angelo. Angelo had some good picks but had some terrible ones and almost always made the wrong decision in evaluating the Bears own players. Rosie Colvin goes to the Pats and becomes a key piece on a Super Bowl team. Chris Harris is traded to the Panthers and becomes arguably the best SS in the league. Danieal Manning had some of his best years in Houston. Greg Olsen is traded to the Panthers and becomes one of the best TEs in the league. Meanwhile the talent is not being reloaded bc of inept drafting. Its hard to field a consistent winner that way and yet Lovie was able to keep the team's head above water on a consistent basis and create some pretty darn good teams with a good core group of defensive players

4) The dumpster fire our team has become never would have happened under Lovie Smith. Even his biggest detractors will freely admit that all 53 guys played their rear ends off for Lovie every week and to a man that they admire and respect him.

and finally...

5) Lovie didn't deserve to be fired but he wasn't going to coach the Bears forever and I'm glad I got to be in the biggest fandom stage of my life during his tenure. Lovie got us past the Packers, where they had beat us like drums for years. Lovie got us to the SuperBowl for the 2nd time in my life and nearly a 2nd. Almost all of my favorite Bears are products of the Lovie Smith era and for the most part, it was a genuinely good group of guys to root for. I have always been and will always be a Bears fan but I don't know that I will ever care about this team as much as I did during the Lovie Smith era.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly think we would have been better off with him than Trestman or Fox. At the time they hired Emery I was excited that Smith would potentially be given some talent, but at the same time it also felt like they could have used a new face and change to the team dynamic. Haven't gone back to the thread but I probably said something along the lines of "Best for both parties to move on and find a different answer" but I do think Lovie was unfairly criticized for his lack of success considering how terrible of a GM Jerry Angelo was.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was just thinking about the Lovie Bears last night.

I'll keep it brief. While the offense was a big problem, Lovie's biggest flaw was that he was a conservative coach who would get even more conservative in big games.

Examples: Super Bowl XLI, Week 17 2008 (win-and-in @ HOU), 2011 NFC Championship.

It made Lovie happier than a pig in crap to lose a game having never taken a risk than to take a single chance and win. For all of the intelligence and discipline his team had, that's the reason why they were never champions.
dll2000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie was limited creatively. If he had a better team he could win more often than not. But game planners could always destroy him, especially in big games, because there was no mystery to what he was going to do.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was he better than Trestman? Sure, but so is the guy in front of me in line right now at Walgreens. Lovie was a decent coach who turned into a stubborm, bad coach. I don't miss the guy.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie Smith needed to be fired.

That does not mean that George McCaskey needed to screw up multiple huge decisions right after it happened.

George has been a pathetic chairman.
51to54

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

I'll keep it brief. While the offense was a big problem, Lovie's biggest flaw was that he was a conservative coach who would get even more conservative in big games.

Examples: Super Bowl XLI, Week 17 2008 (win-and-in @ HOU), 2011 NFC Championship.

It made Lovie happier than a pig in crap to lose a game having never taken a risk than to take a single chance and win. For all of the intelligence and discipline his team had, that's the reason why they were never champions.

That's my short answer on Lovie too. Even to the point of sticking with "their defensive scheme" when Steve Smith had been shredding us all day and the after an injury he puts a scrub DB one on one against Smith who burns him for like a 40 yard gain the first play.
51to54

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Lovie Smith needed to be fired.

That does not mean that George McCaskey needed to screw up multiple huge decisions right after it happened.

George has been a pathetic chairman.

Most coaches, no matter how good they are, have a shelf life. Lovie had passed his expiration date with the Bears.
Tyty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he had to go but I haven't felt as strongly about the Bears ever since he left. I don't understand their identity anymore and feel nothing for anyone on the Bears roster anymore. Maybe that will change with the #3 pick
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyty wrote:
I guess he had to go but I haven't felt as strongly about the Bears ever since he left. I don't understand their identity anymore and feel nothing for anyone on the Bears roster anymore. Maybe that will change with the #3 pick

Their identity has been bad and unprofessional.

I doubt a 3rd overall Safety is going to redefine the identity of the team.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

That's my short answer on Lovie too. Even to the point of sticking with "their defensive scheme" when Steve Smith had been shredding us all day and the after an injury he puts a scrub DB one on one against Smith who burns him for like a 40 yard gain the first play.

Right. He was completely inflexible. Whatever that game plan was, that's what they were going to do with zero adjustments. And if it didn't work, oh well, better luck week.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike summed it up best.

We tolerated it for far too long. The Bucs...sure they hired him. But didnt wait around as long as we did to get rid of him.

^^ props to LBC on the sig Smile
gah112

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wasn't done any favors by the guys building the roster, but it was time for him to go.

I do think the Bears' direction since the firing shows the danger of the "grass is greener" mentality many fans have in the NFL. It's easy to identify Lovie as an "average" coach who isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl, but it's not easy to hire a better coach.
mikee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie and Angelo had to go. It was time. Just because they were replaced by worse people doesn't mean that the decision to let them go was wrong.

As for George, I will give him credit that he made the right call to get rid of those two. He is to be blamed that for the Emery/Trestman fiasco, but to his credit he then got rid of those two quick instead of trying to make it work. Still too early to tell on the Pace/Fox combo in my eye. The team was in shambles after Angelo/Lovie and especially Emery/Trestman eras. Pace and Fox have been starting a rebuild from nothing. If it wasn't for incredibly bad luck with injuries I think the team would have been more competitive last year (though not a playoff contender).
G08

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had to happen, he didn't really find any success in Tampa. Once he demanded more power, got rid of Chico, and our drafts went to crap I felt the writing was on the wall. Then you look at his sheer inability to lure quality offensive minds here and it was just time for him to go.

We'll turn it around... I think Fox is an A to B guy (think Doug Collins with the Bulls) but not a B to C guy (think Phil Jackson).

Our best shot, IMO, is the defense continuing to add talent, us taking a QB we really love, and finding the best offensive mind we can to lead us into the future while hopefully keeping Vic Fangio (or one of his staff) around.

jrry32 wrote:
apples

When the defense allowed 20 pts or fewer, the Cutler-led Bears were 36-7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: