Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Harris OLB Mizzou

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Harris OLB Mizzou Reply with quote

how do you guys feel about OLB Harris....he seems like the perfect olb for our 3 - 4... not a one trick pony like Takk..although i think Tak could be more than that..i do understand the worries..i really like harris for us is the 1st round..and not just because i am from st. louis MO lol...

also what about desmon king..do you seem him as a safety or a second CB...same question for obei and fabian monrue (sp?)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Harris is a lot like Dupree and Shane Ray. He's not really going to be an elite player, but he'll be a very good OLB. I think he's poised to always get around 10 sacks every year but probably never going to be a James Harrison of Joey Porter type of unblockable force.

I like King a lot, he could ply FS or CB. I think the steelers should use him at CB because currently that's the biggest weakness. Davis started to play better at the end of last year, I think his future is pretty bright and I like Mitchell.

If the steelers want a safety they should draft a true safety like Obi or Budda Baker. I like Baker for what the steelers need. Davis can be the current and future SS but they need a quick and rangy FS type for the future.

I see baker as a lesser version of Earl Thomas. NFL.com comps him to Bob Sanders - who was one of my most favorite safeties of all time - and that's a great comp for him. If he can be anything close to these two, he could develop into a pro bowl FS for the steelers within a year or two.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's one of my favorite rushers. He's smooth, explosive, and violent. When asked to pin his ears back he's one of the best. His run defense needs work, though. He reminds me of a slightly more polished Dee Ford. He can contribute early as a situational rusher, then as he gets a little more sand in his pants he can take over full time.

Deadpulse on the sig
warfelg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOSteelers56 wrote:
He's one of my favorite rushers. He's smooth, explosive, and violent. When asked to pin his ears back he's one of the best. His run defense needs work, though. He reminds me of a slightly more polished Dee Ford. He can contribute early as a situational rusher, then as he gets a little more sand in his pants he can take over full time.

Agreed. I like pass rushers who can make the tough look easy, the hard look average, and Harris does that.

What I like about him is 0-0, up 3 scores, down 3 scores he played the same way no matter what. He pushed himself in a way I haven't seen. And his hands are amazing. Violent, fast, smooth....all things that make a pass rusher look good.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him. Would have no problem if he was the first pick.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
waffles7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
MOSteelers56 wrote:

Agreed. I like pass rushers who can make the tough look easy, the hard look average, and Harris does that.

What I like about him is 0-0, up 3 scores, down 3 scores he played the same way no matter what. He pushed himself in a way I haven't seen. And his hands are amazing. Violent, fast, smooth....all things that make a pass rusher look good.

+1

Assuming some of the top tier talent is off the board at #30, Harris is one of the two OLBs I'd be thrilled with landing in round 1. Get him in the gym, learning behind Deebo and I think we may have something special come year 2 or 3. At this point, I'm willing to give up a little in the run game as long as someone can apply constant pressure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers are going to look for an EDGE player for the LOLB. I would think of Lemarr Woodly type of players. Unfortunately, Harris is not that person.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
The Steelers are going to look for an EDGE player for the LOLB. I would think of Lemarr Woodly type of players. Unfortunately, Harris is not that person.

so in your opinion who is that LOLB worthy of a 1st pick?..be it at the bottom...if there is any.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:

Isn't that Dupree spot? ... They need a ROLB to rush over the LT , wouldn't make sense to switch Dupree since he's always played the left side over the RT even in college
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbrunn2 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Isn't that Dupree spot? ... They need a ROLB to rush over the LT , wouldn't make sense to switch Dupree since he's always played the left side over the RT even in college

You are correct. I flipped the position. I think they will not look at Willis because he is left handed plays LDE 98% of the time

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask you guys, what do you see in Harris? I keep seeing praise for him on here and I really don't get it. I've gone back and rewatched film a couple times to see if there's something I missed. I see a great burst off the snap and that's really about it. Awful in run support, decent spin move but nothing else in his arsenal, gets stood up 1 on 1 a LOT. Seems like if that initial burst doesn't get him by the Tackle, he's out of the play. Very tame motor. Really needs a lot of work. There's potential there for sure, but I see a project that won't be much help to us for a couple years. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, maybe I'm missing something. Just curious. I just don't see a guy who should be drafted before the 3rd round.

Props to CalhounLambeau
warfelg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJtheWicked wrote:
Let me ask you guys, what do you see in Harris? I keep seeing praise for him on here and I really don't get it. I've gone back and rewatched film a couple times to see if there's something I missed. I see a great burst off the snap and that's really about it. Awful in run support, decent spin move but nothing else in his arsenal, gets stood up 1 on 1 a LOT. Seems like if that initial burst doesn't get him by the Tackle, he's out of the play. Very tame motor. Really needs a lot of work. There's potential there for sure, but I see a project that won't be much help to us for a couple years. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, maybe I'm missing something. Just curious. I just don't see a guy who should be drafted before the 3rd round.

Lots of people had said things upthread.

But to add to what has been said:
He explodes off the line...run game issue was he played the gap (As did Ray, Golden, Sam when at Mizzu)...Plays with tons of energy and intensity (dunno where you get tame motor from)...his spin move can go to the inside or outside, which makes him dangerous...his feet are very quick and he rarely get's knocked off balance...Uses his speed to create power, but is still pretty powerful in his own right.

In 2016 Mizzu coaching was a bit of a mess. They went from a very attacking defense to a more laid back defense where they played run first pass second. In 2015 the theory was play the run on the way to the QB. So hence the "lacking" against the run game and the dip and production.

Personally I really hate it when teams do that read and react. It's about the dumbest thing that coaches in the NCAA do. That's a sign that your LB's suck and you need to read and react to protect your LB's. Really more teams should play the run on the way to the QB and put the run game on the LB's to fill the gaps.

I feel as though quite a bit of what was said about Harris can be an easy copy and paste for Bud Dupree.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
KJtheWicked wrote:

Lots of people had said things upthread.

But to add to what has been said:
He explodes off the line...run game issue was he played the gap (As did Ray, Golden, Sam when at Mizzu)...Plays with tons of energy and intensity (dunno where you get tame motor from)...his spin move can go to the inside or outside, which makes him dangerous...his feet are very quick and he rarely get's knocked off balance...Uses his speed to create power, but is still pretty powerful in his own right.

In 2016 Mizzu coaching was a bit of a mess. They went from a very attacking defense to a more laid back defense where they played run first pass second. In 2015 the theory was play the run on the way to the QB. So hence the "lacking" against the run game and the dip and production.

Personally I really hate it when teams do that read and react. It's about the dumbest thing that coaches in the NCAA do. That's a sign that your LB's suck and you need to read and react to protect your LB's. Really more teams should play the run on the way to the QB and put the run game on the LB's to fill the gaps.

I feel as though quite a bit of what was said about Harris can be an easy copy and paste for Bud Dupree.

All the games I watched were from 2016, so maybe that clears some things up. That wasn't a very good defense, so he gets a bit of a pass on that. Really wasn't many times he was able to pin his ears back and rush the QB. I tend to not watch much from previous years so I can watch more players. But also, if his 2015 tape is great, and his 2016 tape isn't, was that all on the coaching staff.... or did he regress at all? You're probably right, but are you 100% certain?

His motor is very tame from what I saw. I seen lots of plays where he gave up and jogged towards the ball on run plays earlier than I would've liked. Those plays he may or may not have been able to make a play, but it just seemed early to me at times. Now, although that D was bad, teams had no problem running right at him, and he was easily pushed out of the way.

Comparing his tape to some of these other edge rushers, they all have flaws that will need work. I think outside of Barnett, Takk has the most upside. His flaws are mostly coachable, has a great bull rush, and can play the run. Really if he can develop a move or two, I think he could be a pro bowler.

When I watch these guys at first, I try not to worry about the coachable stuff. I want to see that "IT" factor. I want to see the OT frustrated and needing extra help. I want to see a guy flying to the ball, whether it's a run play or pass. I want to see production and disruption! I break the technique down afterwards. I don't see that "IT" factor with Harris. I've seen it from 4 OLB prospects in this draft(I didn't scout Garrett or Thomas). Derek Barnett, Tarell Basham, and to a lesser degree, Takk McKinnley and Carl Lawson.

Lawson has maybe the best burst I've ever seen. Needs work in the run game, rush technique, tackling, and there's nothing he can do about those Dino arms. I know I've talked on here about Barnett and Basham before, and I'm rambling at this point. But bottom line though, if we draft him, I hope you're right. If someone else drafts him, I hope I'm right. Laughing

Props to CalhounLambeau
warfelg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris not being great at the run game this past year I would argue like this:

When the rest of the defense sucks don't run away from their 1 good defender, run at him. You will see the same flaw with Willis too, his run tape this past year wasn't all that great.

Hahahahaha.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: