You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GMENNATION Mock Draft 2017

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: GMENNATION Mock Draft 2017 Reply with quote

With less than two weeks to go before the draft starts, I figured I better get a mock draft up! I tried to pick some players we haven't talked too much about to switch it up. I believe this is a realistic draft strategy for the Giants to take. It's not necessarily who I want them to take but rather my stab at what they may actually do. Without further ado:

Round 1: Garett Bolles, OT Utah
The Giants have been doing their homework on all of the 1st round OL so it's seeming like they are legitimately considering taking yet another OL in the 1st round. I don't have a great reason for choosing Bolles over Ramczyk or Robinson, other than thinking it's the most realistic. At the end of the day, I just don't think we are drafting a RB in the first round and I don't think the TEs will be there. I'm not in love with the DT/DE value around our pick so we try to round out our OL with this pick.

Round 2: Gerald Everett, TE S. Alabama
The Giants grab their playmaking TE in the 2nd round. He has all the physical tools to be a very good TE. He needs to add a little bulk and work on his blocking technique but we signed Ellison to be our blocker. Everett won't have to start from Day 1 and can work on his craft while contributing in the passing game.

Round 3: Dalvin Tomlinson, DT Alabama
There are quite a few DT options in rounds 2-3. I chose Tomlinson because the Giants seem to like beefy DTs plugging up the middle. Tomlinson is definitely more of a run stuffer than a penetrator. Would start his career as a rotational guy with hopes that he can develop into a starting DT.

Round 4: Vince Biegel, OLB Wisconsin
The Giants seriously lacking depth at the 2nd level. It's possible we end up drafting multiple LBs by the time Mr. Irrelevant is announced. I haven't heard Vince Biegel's name brought up much but he has the prototype size to be a 4-3 WLB. I think he can be the next Mark Herzlich for us. Special teams ace with good enough coverage skills to contribute on passing downs.

Round 5: Jarron Jones, DT Notre Dame
A bit of a riskier pick here with Jones. He has a very high ceiling but significant injuries already. Jones has greatly length and can penetrate from the inside. The Giants take their second DT of the draft as they look to add depth with rookie contracts. They can bring him along slowly and if they hit, this is a big steal.

Round 6: Justin Senior, OT Miss St.
This is another situation where we have no depth (or quality starters) at either OT position. There are no solutions in FA so the Giants continue to take some shots in the draft, hoping one of these guys pans out. Senior played against top competition in the SEC. His size makes him a project working taking a chance on.

Round 7: Elijah McGuire, RB UL Lafayette
McGuire may not make it to the 7th round but if he does, I think he'd be a nice pickup. He is a thick runner who can run between the tackles. There is a lot of uncertainty at the RB position right now, with Perkins and Shane Vereen the only truly guaranteed roster spots. McGuire has the potential to become the power back to complement Perkins.

Roster after draft:
QB: Eli Manning | Geno Smith
RB: Paul Perkins | Shane Vereen | Shaun Draughn | Elijah McGuire
WR: Odell Beckham Jr. | Brandon Marshall | Sterling Shepard | Roger Lewis | Tavarres King | Dwayne Harris
TE: Rhett Ellison | Will Tye | Gerald Everett | Jerell Adams
LT: Garett Bolles |
LG: Justin Pugh | John Jerry
C: Weston Richburg | Brett Jones
RG: DJ Fluker | Bobby Hart
RT: Ereck Flowers | Justin Senior

DE: Olivier Vernon | Owa Odighizuwa
DT: Damon Harrison | Dalvin Tomlinson
DT: Jay Bromley | Robert Thomas | Jarron Jones
DE: Jason Pierre-Paul |Romeo Okwara | Kerry Wynn
WLB: Jonathan Casillas | Vince Biegel
MLB: Keenan Robinson | BJ Goodson
SLB: Devon Kennard | Mark Herzlich
CB: Janoris Jenkins | Eli Apple | Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie | Valentino Blake | Michael Hunter
S: Darian Thompson | Landon Collins | Andrew Adams | Nat Berhe

K: Aldrick Rosas
P: Brad Wing
LS: Zak DeOssie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting and well-thought out mock draft, GMENNATION. Liked the rationales for the picks very much.

One minor question: do you think that Garrett Bolles will be ready to start at LT this year? Thought I read that he was undersized and underpowered, and would need a year in an NFL weight-room to get more "sand in his pants"- ?

Quote:
Weaknesses:
Will be a 25-year-old rookie
Only played one season at Utah so he's a one-year wonder
Scheme specific and likely zone only.
Needs to hit the weight room and fill out
Lacks core strength
Rough upbringing and some minor character concerns but has matured
Needs work on his technique

Quote:
You also worry about his core strength. He didn't lift at the combine and needs to hit the weight room once he gets to the NFL. I worry he will struggle with NFL-caliber players like Ty Sambrailo has. Both were very athletic tackles who lacked core strength and needed to hit the weight room.

Quote:
The one area where he could improve is his strength and ability to anchor after contact. He has the proper technique and leverage, but needs to hit the weight room in order to hold the more powerful rushers in check.

Adding strength would also help Bolles become a more effective run blocker. It would help deliver a more powerful initial punch and move defenders off the line of scrimmage.

Quote:
Now while all of this paints a pretty picture, it is important to understand that Bolles is not a finished product. He needs to get stronger in his lower half for multiple reasons. He doesn't drive ends off the ball against the run well and doesn't show the ability to absorb power as a pass protector

mattbags2313

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill be livid with a first round OL. Here is why.

1. None of them except Cam are worthy of a first round pick. They are there by default because of a weak class.
2. Are we really going to move flowers? No. Coaching as made that clear. Also whats the point? Will putting a rookie at LT make any difference?
3. LT is the only weak spot on the line. I guess you could make an argument we need a guard. But s that really more important than the other holes we have?
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattbags2313 wrote:

1. None of them except Cam are worthy of a first round pick. They are there by default because of a weak class.
2. Are we really going to move flowers? No. Coaching as made that clear. Also whats the point? Will putting a rookie at LT make any difference?
3. LT is the only weak spot on the line. I guess you could make an argument we need a guard. But s that really more important than the other holes we have?

I don't really want them to draft an OL in the 1st, this is more a guess of what they might do. I'd go many different directions before picking Bolles if I was Reese. I'm just saying they've been doing a lot of homework on them so don't be shocked if you hear Bolles' name.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMENNATION wrote:
mattbags2313 wrote:

I don't really want them to draft an OL in the 1st, this is more a guess of what they might do. I'd go many different directions before picking Bolles if I was Reese. I'm just saying they've been doing a lot of homework on them so don't be shocked if you hear Bolles' name.

cant argue with that.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: