You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jason McCourty to be released
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanSS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they like Sims to start. I've been saying that for months. We don't know what they see in practice.

I wonder what the logic of not bringing in another veteran is. Are they confident enough in what we have at WR and CB that a 3rd rounder at either position is looked at as suitable? Or do they now belive they've put themselves in a position where they have to draft a CB and WR, as most fans feel?

Probably released him now out of respect for him because a deal couldnt get done and this allows him to find another team and get a full offseason. I think you have to release him before June 6th or something anyway to avoid paying anything on his salary.
VY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:
I think they like Sims to start. I've been saying that for months. We don't know what they see in practice.

Unless a rookie has the type of hyped up offseason Tajae Sharpe did last summer, can't see the top 2 being anything other than Ryan and Sims (unless they pull the Sherman trade, unlikely).

I had hoped McCourty could be a kind of security blanket for the first 4-6 games, let whatever top rookie we have get somewhat acclimated and start rotating more at that spot. Either way, we are going to be asking a ton from a 2nd year guy (Sims) or rookie from the get go. That's a bit of a concern.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see him go. I would have liked to see him restructure, take on a lesser role and be a part of the new winning culture here.

I guess good luck to him (probably in New England) and his new chase for a ring.
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

Unless a rookie has the type of hyped up offseason Tajae Sharpe did last summer, can't see the top 2 being anything other than Ryan and Sims (unless they pull the Sherman trade, unlikely).

I had hoped McCourty could be a kind of security blanket for the first 4-6 games, let whatever top rookie we have get somewhat acclimated and start rotating more at that spot. Either way, we are going to be asking a ton from a 2nd year guy (Sims) or rookie from the get go. That's a bit of a concern.

YES PLS Laughing

Adopt a Titan:
Jurrell Casey
Tajae Sharpe
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY-FTW wrote:
VY wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

YES PLS Laughing

Can we not bring that cancer to Tennessee?

Would rather send it to New England for Butler if we're gonna do something like that.

#MTGA
KingTitan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSS wrote:

I wonder what the logic of not bringing in another veteran is. Are they confident enough in what we have at WR and CB that a 3rd rounder at either position is looked at as suitable? Or do they now belive they've put themselves in a position where they have to draft a CB and WR, as most fans feel?

Probably released him now out of respect for him because a deal couldnt get done and this allows him to find another team and get a full offseason. I think you have to release him before June 6th or something anyway to avoid paying anything on his salary.

Sims' play at the end of the year is worthy enough to be penciled in as a starter. Not pen, but pencil.

He showed growth and was able to battle with Hopkins down the stretch.
TitanSS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I never expected McCourty to compete at the #2 spot. I expected Sims to compete with a rookie and McCourty to be the #3 or #4 only if they could come to an agreement on his contract.
titans0021

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
VY-FTW wrote:
VY wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

YES PLS Laughing

Would rather send it to New England for Butler if we're gonna do something like that.
I'm not quite sure how a key piece and vocal leader of a consistently top five defense that has gone to the playoffs every year is a cancer? He's not T.O. I've heard no complaints about him as a teammate.

With that said, I still wouldn't be willing to pay the likely asking price for a 29 year old corner on a big contract.

Props to mike23md on the sig
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:
VY-FTW wrote:
VY wrote:
TitanSS wrote:

YES PLS Laughing

I'm not quite sure how a key piece and vocal leader of a consistently top five defense that has gone to the playoffs every year is a cancer? He's not T.O. I've heard no complaints about him as a teammate.

With that said, I still wouldn't be willing to pay the likely asking price for a 29 year old corner on a big contract.

Have you just like, ignored this past season of his?

He had his worst season since becoming a starter, threatened to ruin a reporter's career and openly criticized the offensive play calling for Seattle.

He's worn out his welcome in Seattle and they're actively trying to get rid of him, so what does that say about him?

#MTGA
titans0021

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you just like, ignored this past season of his?

He had his worst season since becoming a starter, threatened to ruin a reporter's career and openly criticized the offensive play calling for Seattle.

He's worn out his welcome in Seattle and they're actively trying to get rid of him, so what does that say about him?

If they're asking for a first and a third for a 29 year old corner coming off the worst season of his career, they're definitely not actively trying to get rid of him.

He's always been vocal, but it's pretty clearly never impacted the team's performance overall and I've never seen a negative word about him from a teammate. Calling him a cancer is a massive overstatement. Cancer's hurt teams, he's been a centerpiece on some of the best defenses of the last 15 years.

And that's always been his role in that locker room. He's the one that speaks out. And frankly, I would guess most of the defensive players appreciate it. I'm sure they've all discussed privately Bevell's total incompetence as a play caller.

The guy makes his team better and hasn't had problems with teammates. That's not a cancer. He may be a loudmouth, certainly arrogant and probably a bit of a [inappropriate/removed], but he definitely hasn't dragged the Seahawks down.

Just like with all of the Pryor talk a couple months ago, I think a lot of people drastically overstate how sensitive NFL locker rooms are and how concerned individual players are about what a teammate says/does.

Props to mike23md on the sig
deeluxx3

Hot Shot Crew
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason is one of my favorite all-time Titans. Great player for us in his prime...can't understate the importance of having a guy that played at a consistent, #1 CB level for 3-4 years.

All the best to J-Mac!!

RIP Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
RIP Steve "Air" McNair...the greatest Titan of all-time
Titan89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the best to J Mac he was a solid player for us for awhile. It was time though.

As far as everyone on here saying why didn't we sign another corner? We did his name is Demontre Hurst so there is no need to worry.
lamont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the years JMac. His last 3 years were not good IMO but the CB position has been terrible for years. Tommie Campbell anyone..? I wouldn't be surprised if a trade doesn't happen between now and the draft. It happened last year and with an extra $7 million on the books JRob can go get another CB. I said last month he should get Butler and then have the two starting corners from February's Super Bowl. Cool

**The #1 reason the Titans are my favorite team is #9. -- R.I.P Steve "Air" McNair**
Shout out to NS922 on da sig
VY

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:

He wasn't wrong there, Pete Carroll is a nitwit so I could see why Sherman has had enough with that. I'd be tired of boneheaded coaching decisions like that, where it literally cost them a Super Bowl.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: