Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Colts Sign Hankins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Colts Sign Hankins Reply with quote

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
Former Giants' DT Johnathan Hankins, the top-rated available free agent, is signing a 3-year, $30M deal with Colts, source tells ESPN.

TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good addition for them.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Gmen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 things.

1. Good for Hankins. He's been a solid player for us and seems like a good dude. Glad he got his pay day.

2. The writing has been on the wall. The Giants are paying huge money to the other 3 starters on the defensive line. We couldn't afford to pay Hankins what he's worth.

3. Damon Harrison was an all-pro last year and is one the best NTs the league. Hankins' game doesn't compliment Harrison well because he's also a wide body run stuffer type. We might be better off drafting a smaller quicker DT to compliment Harrison.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently according to Rappaport it's 10.5M year 1 (including the signing bonus, so that cap hit is for the 3 years, but that's the total $ he sees, bonus plus salary, figures unknown), and 5.4M more guaranteed year 2.

It's still an overpay for NT in a 3-4 scheme (before this year, no 3-4 NT made more than 5-6M), but at age 25, that's the reality of the new cap. Frankly, IND needs all the help they can get on D. Made total sense to sign him. Basically only a 2-year commitment, so very reasonable given what Brandon Williams got, unless the signing bonus is most of that 10M+ year 1 (which seems doubtful, IND has plenty of cap room, no need to backload the deal).

Last edited by Broncofan on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
3 things.

1. Good for Hankins. He's been a solid player for us and seems like a good dude. Glad he got his pay day.

2. The writing has been on the wall. The Giants are paying huge money to the other 3 starters on the defensive line. We couldn't afford to pay Hankins what he's worth.

3. Damon Harrison was an all-pro last year and is one the best NTs the league. Hankins' game doesn't compliment Harrison well because he's also a wide body run stuffer type. We might be better off drafting a smaller quicker DT to compliment Harrison.

That's part of what helped you guys go 2-0 against Dallas last year though. I'll be interested to see how much they prioritize pass rusher over run stuffer in Hankins' replacement, knowing that their main competition for the division title will likely be Dallas.

The NFC West and AFC West that you'll be facing this season will also have a lot of good running teams.
Gmen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Gmen wrote:
3 things.

That's part of what helped you guys go 2-0 against Dallas last year though. I'll be interested to see how much they prioritize pass rusher over run stuffer in Hankins' replacement, knowing that their main competition for the division title will likely be Dallas.

The NFC West and AFC West that you'll be facing this season will also have a lot of good running teams.

Yea, but it's a passing league and we didn't get enough pressure up the middle. We have a great edge rushing duo in JPP / Vernon that definitely would have had more sacks if the QB didn't have a clean pocket so often. Obviously it would be nice to have a DT that is great at doing both, but this is real life.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Crickett

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

But it's also what hamstrung them against Green Bay IIRC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Gmen wrote:
3 things.

Yea, but it's a passing league and we didn't get enough pressure up the middle. We have a great edge rushing duo in JPP / Vernon that definitely would have had more sacks if the QB didn't have a clean pocket so often. Obviously it would be nice to have a DT that is great at doing both, but this is real life.

And while a lot can change in a year, keep in mind that the AFCW and NFCW teams aren't nearly as good at the run as in prior years.

By DVOA, 3 of the 8 teams were in the 11-15 range - SF 11, ARI 14 & OAK 15 (and I'd dare say Chip's scheme allowed for run success with Kaep/Hyde at the expense of a high school pass O), while the rest of the divisions were just putrid efficiency-wise - a lot of their stats were based on volume rather than good run games. KC 20, SEA 23, SD 24, DEN 30, LARM 32. Of course some teams addressed OL (Rams & Whitworth, for example), but outside of OAK, these are not teams with great OL's.

Given they already have Snacks at 1 DT, getting an inside pass rush threat at 2nd DT makes a lot of sense for the G-men.

Last edited by Broncofan on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
cddolphin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pains me to say, but good move for the Colts. That's a hefty contract this deep into FA. Hankins was probably the last "tier 1" guy left.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what took him so long to sign. That looks like a day one type of deal.

Adopt-a-Buc Mike Evans 96 RECs 1,321 YDs 12 TDs
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Gmen wrote:
3 things.

I agree. I just brought it up as something to consider. Especially since finding a pass rushing DT is easier said than done.
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually floored that he got a deal as good as this one given the market. Good for him.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
bananabucket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we had like 30 million in cap space before this. I was pissed when I thought Ballard blew it. Lol at people calling everything an overpay. Zero complaints.
KManX89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I'm actually floored that he got a deal as good as this one given the market. Good for him.

I'm floored that it took him this long to find a new team given his talent.

But good deal for Hank, he deserves every penny.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Gmen wrote:
3 things.

Well, duh, if you take out their best weapon, that offense becomes one-dimensional. No Dez, T-Will, Witten, Beasley, etc. in all-singles coverage.

Like Crickett said, though, it also hurt them against elite passing teams, so it was kinda a double-edged sword.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: