You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The sack Whisperer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: The sack Whisperer Reply with quote

article

Quote:
Can an NFL pass rusher be made? Can you take the raw skill, mold it, craft it, teach it, and turn it into quarterback-menacing player who has to be accounted for on every play?

That question brought me to this town on the north side of the Atlanta metro area, in a warehouse tucked away in a quiet, peaceful area, mixed in with businesses and even a courthouse and police station down the block. It is here that the pass-rush guru -- that’s what his students call him -- holds his pass-rush school for those who want to learn the proper ways to get to the quarterback.

It is here that Chuck Smith, himself a former NFL pass rusher with an impressive résumé, holds his sessions year-round with a variety of pupils, ranging from NFL stars to college hopefuls to high-school kids dreaming of getting to the league.

“Just like school,” Smith said. “There is a curriculum.”

You would think it’s a simple one: See quarterback, attack quarterback, sack the quarterback.

It is much more involved than that, especially here.

Quote:
He has consulted with great pass rushers like Denver Broncos all-world pass rusher Von Miller and Aaron Donald of the Los Angeles Rams. Others have flocked here to Georgia for individual work, guys like Kansas City’s Dee Ford, Derrick Morgan of the Tennessee Titans and retired pass rushers like Robert Mathis of the Indianapolis Colts. On the day I visited, he had several NFL players getting work in, including a private session with rising Pittsburgh Steelers pass rusher Bud Dupree.

Quote:
As Dupree loosened up, Smith looked over at him and said, “He’s going to be the Defensive Player of the Year next season.”

‘In college, I didn’t have any moves. I didn’t know what I was doing. I got by on my athletic ability. That doesn’t work in the NFL. You need to have more.’ Bud Dupree

That’s pretty high praise for a player with just 8˝ sacks in his first two seasons.

“The kid is a freak,” Smith said.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dupree will be that great, then let him rush more often and draft a CB in RD1.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The sack Whisperer Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
article

Quote:
Can an NFL pass rusher be made? Can you take the raw skill, mold it, craft it, teach it, and turn it into quarterback-menacing player who has to be accounted for on every play?

That question brought me to this town on the north side of the Atlanta metro area, in a warehouse tucked away in a quiet, peaceful area, mixed in with businesses and even a courthouse and police station down the block. It is here that the pass-rush guru -- that’s what his students call him -- holds his pass-rush school for those who want to learn the proper ways to get to the quarterback.

It is here that Chuck Smith, himself a former NFL pass rusher with an impressive résumé, holds his sessions year-round with a variety of pupils, ranging from NFL stars to college hopefuls to high-school kids dreaming of getting to the league.

“Just like school,” Smith said. “There is a curriculum.”

You would think it’s a simple one: See quarterback, attack quarterback, sack the quarterback.

It is much more involved than that, especially here.

Quote:
He has consulted with great pass rushers like Denver Broncos all-world pass rusher Von Miller and Aaron Donald of the Los Angeles Rams. Others have flocked here to Georgia for individual work, guys like Kansas City’s Dee Ford, Derrick Morgan of the Tennessee Titans and retired pass rushers like Robert Mathis of the Indianapolis Colts. On the day I visited, he had several NFL players getting work in, including a private session with rising Pittsburgh Steelers pass rusher Bud Dupree.

Quote:
As Dupree loosened up, Smith looked over at him and said, “He’s going to be the Defensive Player of the Year next season.”

‘In college, I didn’t have any moves. I didn’t know what I was doing. I got by on my athletic ability. That doesn’t work in the NFL. You need to have more.’ Bud Dupree

That’s pretty high praise for a player with just 8˝ sacks in his first two seasons.

“The kid is a freak,” Smith said.

That is what most us could easily see. I'm thrilled that he is working with Smith and look forward to the results.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky

Last edited by armsteeld on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dupree breaks out, then maybe RD2 or later for edge unless a certain player falls. Harrison is part time, and do we wait another year to draft edge? I say draft edge now since experts claim the draft is deep for edge, and possibly release moats if Chickillo makes progress. I doubt they release moats though, but just a fans view Shhh

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: