Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Beast Mode Thread (He's officially a Raider!!!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like the idea of adding Marshawn Lynch?
Yes.
97%
 97%  [ 35 ]
No.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 36

RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: The Beast Mode Thread (He's officially a Raider!!!) Reply with quote

It's about time this topic gets it's own thread.

Quote:
@RapSheet

Sources: The #Seahawks & #Raiders are expected to work out a trade for Marshawn Lynch to Oakland. Itís contingent on a reworked contract 1st

Looks like its a matter if when, not if. Of course I wished he would have been released, thus not having to give up any assets for him. However I am cool with the idea of Lynch in a Raiders uni for a late rounder.

#JihadWard
First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.

Last edited by RaidersAreOne on Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Nightmare

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the deal with him re-working his contract? I'd assume it's so that Seattle are no longer paying him any guaranteed money, or something like that?

Hopefully we get this whole thing over the line soon.
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issue with it. My only concern before was money for other FA but only Hankins remains and that seems unlikely. Maybe draftniks will stop mocking a RB to us in rounds 1 and 2 as an added bonus. Smile
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm meh on it. It's at best a 1 year rental.

He's been injured, he's got mileage on him.

Really don't see the point. Grab a big back in the draft. There are a lot of them. What's the point of this move exactly?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

Really don't see the point. Grab a big back in the draft. There are a lot of them. What's the point of this move exactly?

Regardless of his ability as a player, he'll be a useful tool for marketing. We'll sell a few more tickets and we'll probably sell a load of jerseys and other merchandise based on it.

I think he'll be a decent fit on the field as well. He's not going to be asked to carry the load here, and it would worry me if he was, but as a 12 touches a game kinda guy he should be fine. This way we'll have a bruiser, but we'll also be allowing Richard and Washington to slightly increase their workload from last year and grow into their roles further.

We still have the cap room and whilst we'll no doubt be rewarding Carr very soon, this will be short-term enough that he'll probably be away again by the time we need to extend either a Mack, Jackson or whoever else is needing the cap he'll take up.
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Regardless of his ability as a player, he'll be a useful tool for marketing. We'll sell a few more tickets and we'll probably sell a load of jerseys and other merchandise based on it.

I think he'll be a decent fit on the field as well. He's not going to be asked to carry the load here, and it would worry me if he was, but as a 12 touches a game kinda guy he should be fine. This way we'll have a bruiser, but we'll also be allowing Richard and Washington to slightly increase their workload from last year and grow into their roles further.

We still have the cap room and whilst we'll no doubt be rewarding Carr very soon, this will be short-term enough that he'll probably be away again by the time we need to extend either a Mack, Jackson or whoever else is needing the cap he'll take up.

Think you're right about the marketing tactic. Lynch has always been vocal about his love for Oakland and his endorsement of the city, I agree some of this move has to be an attempt to calm the storm over the vegas move.

Additionally, I get why from a wins-loss perspective we would do this. Unless we were planning on drafting an rb in the top 3 rounds, we are really playing with fire going into the season with Richard, deandre and a mid/late round pick. Lynch gives us a quick solution while allowing us to use our early picks on defence.

My only reluctance with it is that I just really, really want mixon and if/when we get lynch it's highly unlikely that we use a 2nd rounder on an rb. If/when this happens, I'll be hoping there's a run on backs and mixon ends up going before 24, causing foster to slide. I'd still take a shot on perine in the 3rd or 4th with or without lynch - imo he's basically baby lynch (has said he models his game after marshawn) and could be a hidden gem for us in a year or 2.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont like giving up a pick for him... reminds me of when we traded for matt schaub when houston was going to release him anyway. and we gave up a 6th that time
SBXISBXVSBXVIII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

This
BayRaider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't love it but I don't see how anyone can really hate it.. most we'll give up is a 7th Round Pick and we get someone who still has the ability to be a Top 10ish RB. I'll take a rusty Lynch over Murray any day. I would rather get a power kind of back in the mid rounds but Lynch will sell tickets in Oakland, tonnnnn of jersey sales, and if he has one year left of Top 10 play it could help us get to the Super Bowl.

Don't love it but I'm all in.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe some of you don't see the upside in this move.

Lynch isn't any "big back". He has incredible balance, agility, the ability to pass protect, catch the football, and run effectively out of the shotgun. Combine that with the fact that he broke more tackles than arguably anyone else when he was on the field and I see a player to get excited for, provided his health is intact.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
SBXISBXVSBXVIII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:

Lynch isn't any "big back". He has incredible balance, agility, the ability to pass protect, catch the football, and run effectively out of the shotgun. Combine that with the fact that he broke more tackles than arguably anyone else when he was on the field and I see a player to get excited for, provided his health is intact.

Don't forget how many more tickets and jerseys will be sold, which we all know helps get teams to the SB.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightmare wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

This team needs no help marketing. They are selling out and fans are coming out of the woodwork everywhere. I've seen more "Raider fans" in Atlanta in the last week than the previous 6 years living here.

Mack and Carr are face of franchise guys.

I just don't see the value of adding and older back who's not been good in a while and out of football a year. Not with a class of serviceable, young, CHEAP backs in this draft.

I will however concede having his vet presence with that group is an asset. But not overly important when this offense runs through 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
I don't love it but I don't see how anyone can really hate it.. most we'll give up is a 7th Round Pick and we get someone who still has the ability to be a Top 10ish RB. I'll take a rusty Lynch over Murray any day. I would rather get a power kind of back in the mid rounds but Lynch will sell tickets in Oakland, tonnnnn of jersey sales, and if he has one year left of Top 10 play it could help us get to the Super Bowl.

Don't love it but I'm all in.

What tickets? The games are already selling out. The Raiders are one of the hottest teams in the league. A must watch nationally. Stop using Lynch for ticket sales reasoning.

If he joins the team, it's for 1 reason. Some one seems him as a pounder late in games to grind out the clock. Something they lacked a year ago.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:

You're describing 2013-14 Lynch. It's 2017, he was a shell of himself in 2015 and sat out a year in 2016.

Of course most will spin that as "he's rested" but I don't buy that personally.

He might give the team 600-700 yards and 6 TDs on the year. For my dollar, I can get that cheaper and younger.

I love Lynch, if he joins the team, cool. But I don't really buy him as big asset.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

This team needs no help marketing.

Maybe they will in Oakland after the team has decided to leave. Bringing in a guy like Lynch, who is Oakland through and through, will help to calm some people down, imo.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: