Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What I Would Do Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: What I Would Do Mock Draft Reply with quote

1[1] Cleveland Browns: DE Myles Garrett [Texas A&M]
1[2] San Francisco 49ers: DE Solomon Thomas [Stanford]

1[3] QB Deshaun Watson [Clemson] 6'2" 221lbs, 4.66 [40], 32.5" vert, 9'9" broad

I would pick a QB at 3. I know they all have rough edges and issues, but they all have exceptional physical tools and in the case of Watson he also has intangibles and an IT factor that is undeniable. I realize it is going to be difficult to now have the 3rd overall pick on the field, ex White, Kevin, but the long term health of this franchise is tied to finding a franchise QB that can "left the program." After almost a decade of Cutler I am willing to take some risk on a guy that plays big in the big moments and who lifted the Clemson program.

I understand the knocks on Watson. He plays in a simple offense, he has mechanical issues to work on, and he threw way too many interceptions. I fully acknowledge that those things exist and that they are going to require coaching, they are going to require technique work, and they are going to require experience and development. I am willing to bet on Watson's work ethic and ability to learn and develop, because the things that he does you simply cannot team.

This team needs a breath of fresh air, they need someone who can inspire the team and the fan base, and they need to desperately to start the process of developing their own franchise QB and not making the same mistakes of the Cutler era.

Watson may bust. He may never be more than a taller Tyrod Taylor, but to me it is better to swing and miss than to leave the bat on your shoulder and walk back to the dug out.

Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[36] to Cincinnati Bengals for 2[41] and 4[116]. With the 3rd pick red shirting I am doing everything in my power to add more picks in the mid rounds to increase the chances of landing contributing players. The Bengals have more picks that they can use and the Bears can slide down like they did last year.

2[41] S Josh Jones [NC State] 6'1" 220lbs, 4.41 [40], 20 reps, 37" vert, 11' broad

With the 3rd pick being invested in the future and not in the present the 2nd round pick needs to come in and play and upgrade the defense. S is the Bears weakest position and Jones should be able to start and provide an upgrade at SS from day 1. Jones is a huge, athletic heat seeking missile that is one of the bigger hitters in the draft. He has the athletic profile that Pace usually looks for in his top picks. In addition to being one of the biggest hitters in the draft Jones had 3 INTs last season and 9 PD.

I would probably move down at this spot again if the DB spot was holding up and see if I could add another 5th rounder or a late 4 that could add some depth.

3[67] CB Howard Wilson [Houston] 6'1" 185lbs, 4.57 [40], 33.5" vert, 9'9" broad

With the 3rd pick not having an on field impact this season the Bears also need pick 67 to play a key role on the team to offset the delay in the top pick playing. With Porter being released and Hall moving to FS the Bears need to add some serious depth and competition to the CB position. Cooper and Amukamara are clearly starting, but after them it is Kyle Fuller and no one else on the outside. Howard can step in and add talent and competition to the group. If Amukamara is injured or Fuller does not step up Howard can get reps and develop in 2017. Howard has the size and length the Bears desire at CB. He is not incredibly fast, but with 5 interceptions last season he has the ball skills that will help the Bears and their league worst turnover stats.

In the 4th round I am adding a player at the shallowest spots on offense and hoping that they provide depth and a couple develop into long term players in 2018. Similar to last season where Hall and Kwaitowski showed they can play and should be counted on this season to be key members of the defense.

4[111] TE Jordan Leggett [Clemson] 6'5" 258lbs, 4.71 [40], 18 reps, 33" vert, 9'6" broad

The Bears have a decent little TE core with Sims and Brown, who are not proven but interesting players. Leggett gives them a more interesting receiving option that happens to have a relationship with the QB they just drafted. I expect that when Watson plays the Bears will run the ball and flood the intermediate range with big targets, which means TEs are going to be important to the offense. I cannot see Zach Miller being on the team beyond 2017 and Leggett insures that the Bears have 3 talented TEs moving forward. The report he already has with Watson is a bonus and should in a small way allow for a more smooth transition.

4[116] WR Kenny Golladay [Northern Illinois] 6'4" 218lbs, 4.5 [40], 18 reps, 35.5", 10' broad

This is another depth player that hopefully can be a real option moving into 2018. Golladay has great physical tools and looks the part of an NFL WR. The Bears can play him on special teams, get him some reps when Kevin White gets injured and get him some experience and polish for the future. The WR that the Bears draft needs to be a presence on special teams as their is a decent chance that it pushes Bellamy off the roster. Golladay gives the Bears a size and speed upgrade on special teams as well as at WR. Watson does better with bigger targets that can win in the 10-20 range and that is what Golladay can do.

4[117] OT Julie'n Davenport [Bucknell] 6'7" 318lbs, 5.45 [40], 18 reps, 27" vert, 36.5" arms

Davenport cannot play this season. He needs a full year of technique work and weight room work to be NFL ready, but what he has cannot be taught. Davenport has incredible size, athletic ability, and length. At the Senior Bowl when he won you saw those things and he looked really good, but his technique and his experience level did not allow for consistency. Charles Leno has been solid and healthy, but in 2018 he is a free agent and I am not sure he is ever going to be an above average LT. Davenport gives the Bears an option for 2018 if they do not want to bring Leno back and in 2017 he gives them depth worth playing. If Leno is injured, at least the reps you give Davenport are going to lead to some experience and development, more so than throwing reps away on an older journeymen. The Bears simply cannot afford to ever put a young and developing QB on the field with mediocre protection from his OTs.

Anything beyond the 4th round I am just trying to find big athletic guys to give to the defensive staff to work with and hope they can contribute a little in the rotation.

5[147] DE Jaron Jones [Notre Dame] 6'6" 316lbs, 5.33 [40], 22 reps, 20.5" vert

I know the work ethic concerns and the fact that Jones runs hot and cold, but the physical talent is undeniable and I am putting faith in Rodgers Fangio and guys like McPhee to light a fire underneath him. At 6'6" with 35.5" arms Jones has incredible length, which Fangio and Pace seem to have favored on the DL. The Bears desperately need rotational bodies on the DL, especially big bodies that can play the run and allow Hicks and Bullard to play more passing downs. I am not asking Jones to be a start, or an impact player in 2017, I only need him to take on some double teams and to take up space 15-18 plays a game. This is an upside swing in the 5th round to hopefully get a player that matures as a pro.

7[220] OLB Darius English [South Carolina] 6'5" 247lbs, 4.84 [40], 19 reps, 35" vert, 10'9" broad

He fits the mold of what the Bears appear to like at OLB, which is tall athletes. English has 8 sacks last season and has some pass rush juice, but he is super inconsistent and needs a lot of work. He could be a PR candidate if he cannot contribute early on special teams. Fangio has had a ton of success taking guys who look like English and Floyd and turning them into NFL players. I am baking on that again.

Depth Chart

QB: Glennon, Sanchez, Watson
RB: Howard, Langford, Carey, Cunningham
WR: Meredith, White, Wheaton, Wright, Golladay
TE: Sims, Miller, Leggett, Brown
LT: Leno, Davenport
LG: Sitton, Kush
C: Whitehair, Grasu
RG: Long
RT: Massie, Compton

RE: Bullard, Jones, Robertson-Harris
NT: Goldman, Jenkins
LE: Hicks, Unrien
OLB: Floyd, Young, English
ILB: Freeman, Timu
ILB: Trevathan, Kwaitowski, Anderson
OLB: McPhee, Houston
CB: Amukamara, Cooper, Fuller, Howard, Callahan, Leblanc
FS: Demps, Hall, Amos
SS: Jones, Bush
51to54

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahomes for Watson and I'm totally on board.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a hunch but I think WR is going to be drafted way higher than everyone thinks. Fox was mentioning the need for one every 5 seconds during the last time he and Pace spoke.

^^ props to LBC on the sig Smile
Nads786

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love this mock, in part because of the hope it can give the franchise.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Just a hunch but I think WR is going to be drafted way higher than everyone thinks. Fox was mentioning the need for one every 5 seconds during the last time he and Pace spoke.

I think so as well.

In what I think will happen mock I have a WR/TE early.

Personally if the Bears use 3 at QB I would go defense-defense, because I think you are adding starting players at 36 and 67.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change Watson to Adams and Jones (who I love btw) to Webb & I'm good with this one too
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
Change Watson to Adams and Jones (who I love btw) to Webb & I'm good with this one too

I am looking for better than Nick Foles 2.0.

I think Webb at 36 could be one of the bigger wastes in the draft.
IotaNet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windy - I am with you 100% on this draft. Nicely done! Applause
Big Rod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Windy I'm not...don't want watson ! He dont look off defenders. He stare at 1 reciever and thats where he goes.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:

I am looking for better than Nick Foles 2.0 except his arm is 100x better than Foles' is

I think Webb at 36 could be one of the bigger wastes in the draft.

Fixed
IronMike84

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate mock drafts.

However, I'd be okay with this.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I hate mock drafts.

However, I'd be okay with this.

This is the more risky option, which is why I think the Bears go DB at 3, but this would provide the most hope for a real turnaround.

If Watson becomes what we think he can become Jamal Adams is a distant and forgotten flirtation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: